Eco Friendly Shipping / Packaging Methods?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this team, and happy to be here!

I've been struggling to find a shipping method and packaging that has the smallest environmental impact (though of course shipping always has some impact), and wondered if this team had ideas.

Initially I was mailing in letter or card-sized envelopes (along with a card and printed receipt). About a month or more ago I switched entirely to bubble mailers since I was reading horror stories about how post offices and shippers handle letters and cards (they go through a machine, I'm told, and so anything inside may be damaged or the packaging torn).

I was reusing bubble mailer packaging until I ran out, and then I read that some shoppers are really turned off by that (and leave negative feedback about it). I still hope to reuse packaging as much as I'm able, and I think adding something about it to my profile and shipping methods info will help with that.

I've also decided to stop sending paper receipts, but I'm still wondering if there are better ways to reduce packaging materials (SO MUCH PLASTIC!!!! :( ) and provide shipping with as little impact as possible.

How do you manage this?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
Cobbleandthread
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Eco Friendly Shipping / Packaging Methods?

I create shipping packages out of the woven plastic dog food bags. I clean them thoroughly, dry them, then cut them to the size I need. I stitch a recycled piece of paper (for the label and then stitch up the sides (white side out), leaving enough at the top, to fold over. For cushioning, I have a trunk full of white craft paper (from two christmas's ago, when I received a new bee hive). And viola, a 100% post consumer recycled, unique and water resistant package, that's the perfect size for anything that I create :-)
Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Cobbleandthread
Inspiration Seeker

Oh, forgot to say, I also use any boxes that come my way. I turn them inside out, by pulling apart the side where it is glued. So they look brand new, during shipping, but when the client opens their package, they can see that it is actually recycled. This works great, too.
0 Likes

thanks, Rain! That's a fantastic idea! I don't know if I have any packaging materials like that, but I'm going to hunt around to see what I do have. I have plenty of cushioning materials (since I save every piece of wrapping/packaging paper that enters my home...and the homes of all my family members!), but the exterior packaging eludes me.

Part of what concerns me is that I'm worried if I create my own packaging I may not meet the packaging specs of the shipping company (and then items may not arrive or may be returned). I wonder how often that happens, though...?

I LOVE that you turn the boxes inside-out! That's genius!!! :)
0 Likes

Great idea to turn the boxes inside out ! I use the fancy packaging tape (bought cheap) or anything else that's pretty to cover the printing on the box. Since I send my items wrapped in colored tissue and include a thank you card, I've never (over 600 sales in 2 shops) had a complaint about the packaging! I've actually had compliments-and it came to them in a "used box". I check Freecycle for people giving away boxes, take the ones people leave laying around the post office.

You can also make your own bubble mailers from old calendar pages and bubble wrap. You can probably find some direction on line. You can also request priority flat rate bubble envelopes from the USPS website (not recycled, but free).

Best wishes, Bonnie
0 Likes

Oops, forgot- shoe boxes- payless always has plenty !
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This has been one of my goals, too!

I have noticed that many shops that reuse shipping materials state this in their policies - along with the option to receive a new box or envelope upon request. I think that this is a great way to handle it.

I am still shipping out with the envelopes I purchased years ago to send out paper resumes....remember those days?!?!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love turning the box inside out! A great idea. I never thought to do that, but always reuse a box that I have laying around. I even packaged a small bottle in a Robitussin box that we had from just buying cough syrup. Nothing is off limits to me. I also save all of the packaging materials that we get. Since we order a lot of things offline I don't really have a problem coming up with that and I don't ship a lot of fragile things. If you would like I probably have some bubble wrap and things like that I would gladly give you for the cost of shipping it to you. I don't know how much I have, but I would happily dig around to see if you are interested. I have never had negative feedback from reusing a box and I have yet to turn one inside out to make it look new.

I worry that I turn people off by putting labels on my yarn. It was a long and gut wrenching decision to use the labels. I finally went with them because it allows me to hand write the yarn details and washing instructions directly onto the label and I am working on including a free pattern on the labels also. So using the labels won, but I often wonder if it turns people off to see recycled yarn tied together with a paper label. I see a few other people do it and a lot of others that don't. I go back and forth with it, but I want people to have all of the information there is about their yarn and the pattern idea sounds fun. Still thinking about if there is a better way to do this. Not that the branding it provides isn't excellent, but there might be a better way to accomplish everything I want with the labels without actually using a label? Ahhh, the fun of a small business. :)

@Kristin... paper resumes... hahaha... I can't remember the last time I submitted a paper resume. I don't think I even have resume paper anymore. Too funny!
0 Likes

@Luci, I know what you mean. I agonize over every piece of packaging and labeling! Branding really is important, though, so at least for me, it's about finding a balance and considering the options. (I still use some plastic for my packaging and shipping since my items need a bit of protection from potential moisture, but I'm trying to reduce it, and I reuse whatever I can.)

I wonder if you could use some sort of recycled paper for your yarn labels...something like Rain mentioned earlier? (Or cut up paper grocery bags or junk mail?)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have found bubble wrap at the petstore when they had just got a new fish tank in...tons and tons of it. I asked for it and they were happy to get rid of it. So I just look for it every where I go and ask.

I have also just used a paper bag for wrapping an item in. It worked great and was super sturdy.

I did invest in some stickers from a shop on Etsy called http://www.etsy.com/shop/YesterdaysMemories They say I am proud to use recycled packaging so people know that the envelope may not be 100% new and shinny looking but it is recycled and that is cool to us.
0 Likes
Cobbleandthread
Inspiration Seeker

Luci- What about purchasing recycled paper for your labels? Or instead of wrapping the whole yarn, maybe tie (perhaps the end of the yarn?) a label on. If you tie a label on, it would use a lot less paper. Or, another idea is cutting up cereal/cracker boxes or use old playing cards and glueing your labels onto that. A lot of the junk mail, that I get, only has writing on one side, so it's perfect for reusing as labels or attatching the insides of cards that I receive.... just some ideas :)
0 Likes

This is a really great topic. Thanks, Greenyogini, for starting this thread, and thanks to everyone else for your responses. I wish I had something constructive to add about how to ship with less waste, but I struggle with it too. I just try to save every box and packing material that comes my way and reuse it, but I try to not make it obvious that it's reused. I take old labels off of the boxes and try to spiff them up a bit so they look nice when they arrive.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am using recycled paper, but it is recycled paper from a manufacturer so there is still a manufactured process. The labels don't actually go all the way around the yarn, even though it looks like it from the first pics. I punch holes in the sides and tie the label on with ribbon (if I have scored any) or else scraps pieces of yarn. Have lots of that. :)

The lime background with that font is my logo/branding so I don't want to stray too far from that. I'm wondering if they can't be a little smaller though. Maybe 1 1/2 inches tall instead of 2 1/2 inches tall like they are now. Ahhh, I see an afternoon of playing with labels ahead of me now. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I re-use boxes when possible and have even covered them using brown paper bags I have collected from shopping. I also get lots of packaging from items I may order from Amazon or I have gotten the paper materials to ship my glassware from when I purchase the glassware. Some of my Thank You cards are large enough to cut in half which makes them go further. I have also shredded magazines to pack with-very colorful and fun, but may be a little messy.
I buy my bubble mailers at the $1. store and have switched to a smaller version.
0 Likes

Great tips, all around! Glad they're helpful to others, too. :)

Keep 'em coming! :)
0 Likes
bhangtiez
Inspiration Seeker

Great tips from everyone!

I think just asking around is a great way to get the packaging that others would just toss or recycle. This is also a great way to spread awareness to people who may just think tossing is the only thing to do with items that can be reused/upcycled. At my workplace, we save tons of packaging and bubbble wrap for a local glass blower. When we have a bit saved up we just give them a call and they come pick it up. It's a win win for everyone.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have thought of these same issues. i have purchased a pattern on etsy here that allows me to use any material and it gives me all the fold and cut and tape lines and it turns into a nice little box.
0 Likes

I know that this is an old thread but here goes...

I use recycled boxes that I too turn inside out.  I do not send an invoice, too much paper waste. My question is what can I use instead of bubble wrap to protect my delicate birdhouse?  I have tried shredded paper, too messy, crumpled paper bags, not enough protection.

I am trying to be as eco friendly as possible from the making using found and repurposed material to the shipping and I can not seem to find a way around bubble mailer, I do not like plastic and what it does to our enviroment.From the petroleum used to make it to the way it ends up in the land fill or the oceans.  

Any ideas?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.