Advice Needed From Upcycle Artists That Purchase Supplies on Etsy

I run a little vintage jewelry store, but for years had made jewelry from what was at hand. (First major seller was my broken glass earrings. Found my materials everywhere!)

Anyhow, I create very little these days - I'm content right now to sell vintage. I purchase these lots of jewelry and there are so many supplies coming in, new and old. I'd like to sell supplies in another shop, but I just don't know how people purchase their supplies. Do you buy bulk? Do you prefer to buy single items? What I'd like to do is create an upcycle supply shop that is really easy to deal with. Sadly, I have no clue, and if I can get some input from those who don't mind spending a moment to tell me what they like to buy and how they like to buy it, I would really appreciate it!

(Sorry for any incoherency - I cut waaaaaay back on caffeine starting yesterday and the brain has gone gluey.)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Advice Needed From Upcycle Artists That Purchase Supplies on Etsy

Personally, I prefer to buy vintage jewelry pieces in bulk: a big bag of who-knows-what with a piece or two that catch my eye. I often find the coolest odds and ends that way, jewelry that I might not have bought individually but that just feels right when put together with other stuffs.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love bulk vintage as well. Its like a big grab bag. I will buy from you.!
0 Likes

I like bulk vintage too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm with everyone else the more the merrier in a lot.
0 Likes

You guys are so sweet! Thank you for the input.

Another question...mixing color (gold and silver) or styles. (gold tone and fake pearl leaf pin with 60's pewter tone odd pendant that is modernistic and looks kind of like a shaved pineapple....) I tend to think people want the same eras and colors in the batch, but you know how sometimes you'll get pieces (like Moll says) and they just sort of go together? I wanted to try some that I thought would go together but wasn't sure.

I know twenty cents isn't a big deal and I can try, but sometimes if I worry too much about what I think another person would need or like, I ruin it! I become like a schoolmarm. (Or so it's been said.)

One more....I have tons of beads that are new and unused. Tons. Ouch. Would mixing some of those in a batch throw you guys off? They are really neat - a few types of stone, loads of expensive crystal cathedral type beads, fresh water pearls, etc and so forth.

I really appreciate the help - if I'm pointed in the right direction I think I can make people very happy with those - you guys are great!!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A good mixed bag is always awesome. Just dont over power them with beads, you may have trouble selling them. Maybe a few batches of beads by themselves may do better for you. Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love bulk...but I have notcied that the suppliers who have big sales do more with smaller amounts to keep the price down....ie six vintage earrings, mixed lot...$6,,,etc. Also, I would not open another store...I would add a supplies tab. Once you start building your followers into your shop you don't wanna start all over with a new shop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Also...use the tag...destash...and upcycled....these are trendy new tags for mismatched parts etc!! As you can see from my picture...I love buying tones and colors that match too!!
0 Likes

Thank you all so much for the input and advice.

Mellostuff, you are right. I think sell some beads alone, and maybe chuck in a strand or bag of beads as a surprise for whoever orders.

KWD - thanks! I'll bear that in mind. I'll be working on some assortments this Sunday, and hopefully will get them posted either Sunday night or Monday.

Thanks for everything, and I've peeked at the jewelry the people here have made - ultra AWESOME!

(I'm so excited about this!)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.