Anyone else being overcharged by the post office?

I've noticed that the last two items I sent to the US are quite a lot more than they used to be..a jacket I sent last month by standard airmail came to over £9, while a dress I sent today was £12.42. Admittedly this was via Airsure which I know costs more, but still seemed a lot (as it;s not that heavy) so went on opyal Mail's site to look again at their Airmail prices...the parcel weight 199g, so assuming they rounded it up to 200g, this would have been £4.42. As I used Airsure, this would have added £5.40, so overall it should have been £9.82 which means they overcharged by £2.60

I haven't checked how much I should have paid for the postage of the jacket, but I'm sure they also overcharged me for that. Will go there tomorrow with a print out of their airmail prices and my receipts, but just wonedred if anyone else had experienced this?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Anyone else being overcharged by the post office?

Yes I have experienced this with Royal Mail. I had my items weighed and priced at the post office prior to sending it but when I took it back the price suddenly shot up by another £2.00 +. It's out of order. The prices shouldn't change when you are posting the same item.
0 Likes

Hi Tori

Think I've worked it out...the value of the item I sent was over £50. I already knew additional compensation is available for an extra £2.60 for pricier items, but it says on RM's site that this is optional. It appears I've been charged for it even though i didn't ask for it. Will be going down there tomorrow with a receipt to try and get it back.

So if you're sending anything more than £50 you might want to tell them that you don't want the extra compensation (if you don't that is) otherwise they may well add it without asking.

The other item I sent that seemed a lot was apparently 503g according to the receipt..so if it had been just 3 grams lighter it would have cost over a pound less to send
0 Likes

My items are small but they still try and charge me for a small packet, big difference in cost from large letter to small packet. Have to point it out every time and the disbelieving looks i sometimes get from the staff.

Also not happy with the Post Office today as an item I sold elsewhere broke in the post. Too small to claim over but I now have to replace, repost all out of my pocket!
Rant over.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.