What does the new normal look like

I think we can all agree: normal ain't normal no mo'

that is probably a good thing. With the pandemic, my sisters and brothers and i Zoom chat every week. Before that it might have been a conference call every couple of week where we couldn't see each other.

Local businesses, which have always been the backbone of work in the US, got some measure of appreciation because the big chains either didn't or wouldn't do right by the community or their workers

along with the covid virus, that other virus that has plagued the US from it's foundation, racism, was brought into global attention. And the world answered with protests. It showed us folks who would step up and those we thought would step up and didn't and some folks who we thought we knew who turned out to be completely different folk. We've all grown up a little bit.

What are your thoughts and tips on doing this new normal thing?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
18 Replies

Re: What does the new normal look like

Hi Beverly, I started to reply to this post earlier today... but it was so sad and negative and angry-political that I deleted it. I've educated my children in Humanism, I've marched (in my younger years) against social injustice and cruel, ruinous wars, I don't let stupid or ignorant slide.. I speak up. I vote, every time. I'm so tired of this slow slog towards what's fair and right. I would like to think that we are now in a time when "stuff" actually gets total attention and real honest and positive action is taken. Maybe this new era is when we will see some change for the better. I am convinced that EDUCATION is key and I don't mean the kind promoted by DeVos.. she needs to go... right to the garbage heap. UhOh.. I'm getting angry again. Do I post this? Or do I delete it? I'm confused and upset and very worried.

4 Likes

and now we get to add the russians may have placed bounties on the heads of our soldiers and the president knew it. or, according to him, he didn't know it.

find that hard to believe

maybe it was in the briefing he didn't read. or if they didn't tell you, what does that say about the trust level of your own staff? this had my mind blown ever since I heard it.

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@designbcb 

"find that hard to believe"

Me too --very hard.

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Why did the great flood happen? (According with the book of Genesis in the Bible...) because God got angry against the humans he created. One day I thought, if even God got mad, we the humans can get mad too, but not at the point to destroy like God did when he sent the great flood.

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

nothing about this misadministartion surprises me.  read? you think they read? no. they pose for cameras and spout garbage they think their voters want to hear, even if it kills them.

3 Likes

Ya know.. this morning I look around at my immediate digs & situation and feel very grateful for my personal comfort and safety. But the thing is; these things are nebulous and can evaporate so fast your head would spin. So this is one reason why everyone needs to care for the wellbeing of others and not just themselves. Why on Earth so many people find this concept hard to grasp (or practice) is beyond me. Being human is hard enough; but allowing, practicing and promoting narcissistic self serving greed is just plain crazy. If things get bad enough it may mean that our "democracy" will force itself to evolve into a stronger and healthier one, or it will collapse. Good times. Humans! Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em. I wish I was a chipmunk.

4 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

do you find yourself wanting a hula hoop? smile.

2 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

The new normal has me exhausted already.  So much to absorb.  Sigh...

One thing I find really strange is this new way of dining out. Since people can't eat inside the restaurants right now (in NYC), everyone must be seated at an outside table.  I'm used to places with tables out front near the building, but now restaurants are allowed set up tables in the street where cars normally park.  In some cases, both parked and moving cars are no more than two feet from the diners.  You can literally reach over and sit your coffee on the back of someone's car.  I know the restaurants need business but this is way too close for me.  I don't think I want car exhaust or gas fumes in my salad.

3 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

gerri, that sounds terrible. yuck. don't go there!

1 Like

Oh Swiss,
I think we humans are doing a fine job of destroying... no god needed. Examples: Climate Change (number 1). Mass extinctions. Deforestation. Science denial. Ocean death. Religious fundamentalism etc. etc. The Earth itself will continue and evolve without the current ecology/environment/mammals/sea life etc. that we humans are used to, but I'm certain that the current inhabitants of Earth are going to have a really hard slog over the next few decades before we do ourselves in, possibly completely. I am aware of all this but I do not dwell on it as it does no good and is probably too late anyhoo. So I continue life as best I can and do my small part in respecting the Earth, encouraging others to be mindful and hoping for the best. Good luck to the future Earthlings... our version looks to be on the way out.

4 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

unpinning as this has had no posts in a week or more. it can join the regular threads. 

0 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

From my point of view, the "new normal" looks abnormal, strange, like is from other dimension.

2 Likes

The new normal is most definitely different from what we had 6 months ago. Will we be able to adjust?

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

I have no choice.  I can not adjust, I cannot accept, but I have no choice. For me, it is like living a punishment or a curse. 

1 Like

Restaurants are opening up here for 'inside' eating--tables spaced, limit on 'guests' but do I want to eat in a place that has been closed since mid March---will all the dishes be re-washed--places still can get dusty when noone is around--I think not. No Covid cases here for 21 days now at the 'hight' I believe only 8 people were ill--only 2 people died--both had been in Europe in Feb.--they died in March. Still it's 'different' now grocery shopping--just the way people 'look' at each other as if 'are you a carrier'. Visitors are frowned upon--we don't know you and go away. Trust seems to be missing--not sure it will ever come back. 

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

moira, we are going back into lockdown as you are opening up. we don't have that attitude here. it's rural and nobody has died and we have no new cases and 4 previous ones fully recovered. we are very fortunate.

people got over the 1918 flu. we will get past this in time too. it will be ok. 

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

@vlmkpyae  Thank you for your kind words -from the post above.  The most comfort words I ever received since the pandemic started.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

ana, it is going to be ok. we are all here to support each other. that's what teams/boards/forums/groups are for. it's an extended family. you laugh we laugh, you cry we cry. this is what keeps people strong, suporting each other and knowing there will be better days ahead. 

hugs.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.