US Seller with Customer Customs Complaint

Have any of you US shops stopped shipping to other countries because of customer complaints about customs fees?  I'm starting to think that the few overseas sales I get are not worth all the stress of customers who were not aware that they would have to pay customs fees when they placed their orders.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
7 Replies

Re: US Seller with Customer Customs Complaint

Hi BlueSpruceCrafts,

Years ago I sold to someone in England and they paid a hefty custom fee. I don't even sell to Canada. I stopped selling overseas and only sell in es the United States now.

Good luck on your decision.

Blessings,

~ ALANA ~ 

1 Like

I sell to a few select countries and put in my listings that I will sell to other countries. I do that upon request so that I can explain customs, VAT, GST ahead of time if need be.  I did quit selling to the EU when the new (to me complicated) laws can out.  I very rarely sold there anyway.  I have never had a problem with selling to buyers in the countries I have so far chosen to sell to. I sell a lot to Canada and Australia, the others sporatically.

1 Like

I don't even stress about it anymoret.   When I receive a message/complaint about this, I have a pre-written snippet that I send them as a reply...

Hello!

The charge you are referring to isn't a postage charge. It is a VAT/Customs charge that your government has chosen to charge you (the importer) for importing an item into your country. If you have issue with these charges, it is something you will need to take up with your government, as it has nothing to do with postage.

Please see here: http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/pay-a-fee

As our postal system won't accept packages without proper postage, you are looking at reason #2 "HM Revenue and Customs have applied a customs charge".

If you would prefer not to deal with it, you can refuse the package and it will be returned back to me. Once it arrives, I will refund you for your order (less shipping).

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help with this. Please let me know what you decide, and if I can be of any further assistance.

If it's not from the UK, I of course remove the royal mail part.   It is the customer's responsibility to know what the import policies are for their country if they're going to be importing.  The fact some people are neglegent in knowing this information is not a reflection on me, and running into them from time to time is a part of doing international business.

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Good evening:

I specify in the store policies, something like, "if you want to receive a product outside the USA, please check first about the rules, regulations, restrictions, taxes and fees you may have to pay in your country. Also, it is your resposability to contact customs or mail service in order to know when did your order arrive."

Years ago, I broke -by accident- one of my husband's favorite coffee mug. Oh well, search for it in internet because it was a discontinued mug.

I found it! In England. So, pay whatever it cost, sale price, shipping and whatever else. I had to replace that mug ASAP.

So, I wanted, pay for it. Since that experience, I quit worring about taxes, fees, extra charges, etc a buyer may have to pay.

When you want it, you want it.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

@SwissZahlerArt . i agree with you. oop books, no longer made kitchenware, rare collectibles, vintage clothing, etc. if it's hard to findand you find it you buy it, unless it would require a bank loan. ;)

1 Like

I hope he was surprised and happy to get that mug replacement Ana! That was so thoughtful of you @SwissZahlerArt 

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

@ElizabethRosenArt 

Yes, he was and supper happy too.  I paid for  express delivery and the mug arrived in less than a week from Europe.

It was a very nice surprise!

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.