psych62
Community Curator

Should I Get Another Cat?

Jump to solution

The sister of my dearly (recently) departed cat, Samson (her name is Delilah) has been depressed ever since his departure. Yesterday I bought her to the vet to rule out any illnesses and that's when the vet said her symptoms (weight loss, withdrawal, sleeping more than usual, staring into space) is depression. I Googled treatments for depression for cats and a few sites suggested getting a new cat (if the issue was the death of a cat) as a possible solution. But I'm not sure. I'm not sure whether or not Delilah would be jealous/upset about a new cat instead of welcoming it.

What do you think? I don't think another cat is a decision to be taken lightly. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Should I Get Another Cat?

Jump to solution

This is difficult.  I don't think an immediate solution is possible.  You must give her time to grieve.  In the interim, give her lots of affection and perhaps catnip toys.  I had a similar situation, and bought one of those 'Perfect Polly' birds.....battery, motion detector, etc. and every time my cat goes near it, the bird chirps.  Not a substitute, but a distraction.  It seemed to help her a lot. ( Very inexpensive.  Battery lasts six months. )

View solution in original post

3 Likes
11 Replies

Jump to solution

Kitties are such individuals.  It would be hard to say how bringing a new cat in would work out .... kitten?  adult? There are so many variables in their personalities.  With the loneliness and depression, it would seem like a good possibility that a companion is just what Delilah needs. Maybe you could find a foster situation so if it didn't seem to work out you would have back-up to re-home and maybe another chance to try again.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Sorry about the passing of your cat. 

Cats are territorial. If you do bring a new cat into your home, you have to keep them separated in their own safe space for awhile till they can live together .

I learned the hard way with this once and had to give one of the cats back to their previous owners because I didn't do it right.

Google " How to introduce your cat to a new cat".

It will tell you how to do it.

1 Like

Jump to solution

This is difficult.  I don't think an immediate solution is possible.  You must give her time to grieve.  In the interim, give her lots of affection and perhaps catnip toys.  I had a similar situation, and bought one of those 'Perfect Polly' birds.....battery, motion detector, etc. and every time my cat goes near it, the bird chirps.  Not a substitute, but a distraction.  It seemed to help her a lot. ( Very inexpensive.  Battery lasts six months. )

3 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

It's worth a shot, but maybe do a foster rather than adoption in case it doesn't work out. I brought two 5 month old sisters in when I had another elderly female and she just about lost her mind. I kept them separate for a while too, but it was still hard for her and to this day, 5 years later, she's the boss of them but she's come a long way. If you can keep the new one in another room or area so they can smell each other under the door, or through a gate, I think that would be good. There will probably be hissing and maybe swatting but it may be okay eventually. I hope it works out and a new kitty cheers up Delilah.

1 Like

Jump to solution

My 2 older cats have been more receptive to the two rescue kittens I've taken in, one last year, and one this year.  

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

Jump to solution

@VintageJoolsAndMorei'd like to try the 'Perfect Polly' bird.....maybe some catnip toys....before I make a decision about another kitty.

She sits by the pet fountain staring at it, watching the water flow....so sad....she never used to do that before.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Aw.. I feel bad for your poor grieving kitty. 

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

Jump to solution

Yes it is sad....but yesterday she went up on the couch and sat next to my husband, laid her head down on him, purring loudly....I have hope.

3 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Honestly, I think it depends on the cat.  I've had cats that were social and outgoing that loved other cats and then I had a few that couldn't stand the sight of other cats (and barely the sight of me, unless I was bringing them food). :)  

If your cat is the social type, it might be a good idea.  You might want to try fostering first and see how it goes, then if your sweetie gets on with the foster cat you could keep it. :)

Hope your sweetie is feeling better soon.  

Best wishes,

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

former cat rescuer here. every cat will greive differently, just as every person does. my first thought is to see if you can foster an orphan and see how she responds to it. thisway you are helping save a life and you might also be getting a new companion to help your grieving cat. as just about every shelter usually has more animals than there are homes for this is probably your best way to test things. if she doesn't like a foster kitten then you will know after a couple of days. condolences. i hope you find the perfect new companion or that she adjusts to being an only cat, whichever is best. good luck.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I think you should, but maybe get one you think she’ll get along with. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.