....your mother put your school clothes on the oven door before you dressed in the morning?

Re: Remember when....

it was a sad day when brentano's closed.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

Oh my gosh, Brentanos! There was one not too far from me when I was growing up. It closed sometime in the late '80's, when the whole mall got reconfigured into an upscale, high fashion Rodeo Drive sort of place. I got to meet Debbie Harry and Andy Warhol there, Andy was featuring Debbie in his Interview magazine and I believe it might have been the first issue. There was nobody around. It was the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week. Both looked bored as hell. Debbie was incredibly beautiful. Andy was like you'd imagine him to be, with his white wig and dark sunglasses. 

0 Likes

when i was in high school, my local book store was brentano's westwood.  we'd spend hours, finally decide on one book, then go next door to sepi's for the best italian subs i've ever enjoyed.  sometimes i think the only reason i had a job in high school was to buy books!

3 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

I walked into a Barnes in Noble when Frank Zappa was doing a book signing of his autobiography; not long before he died. I didn't know there was going to be a book signing that day. The crowd was insane. His publicist was pretty gruff "Frank is here to sign books ONLY!!!!" Needless to say people brought all sorts of things for him to sign, record albums, t-shirts, panties, and he was very cooperative, friendly, and kind about it all. "I missed my high school graduation to see you at the Fillmore in '72!" one guy said, and Frank replied "Good choice!"  

3 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

@mytutuscloset, @That70sChickVintage and @psych62 :

I remember with sentimental pain, when I told an old neighbor that I was going to publish a book. She told me, "Be sure to sell it at the local book store, we need to support the local stores!"  My  husband insisted in paying the house as soon as possible. So, the money for publishing the book was used for other purpose. Time passed. The local book store closed forever...

1 Like

😢📚❤️

2 Likes

i hope you still write. . .

2 Likes

I had/have a Mickey Mouse watch with a red band. It now sits on a shelf ~ loved that watch !

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

One of my daughters still has a table M M watch... 2 short legs to hold it. The arms of the MM at the center of the watch, point the hour and the minutes. And rewinds it every night.

2 Likes

My daughter is expecting baby number 2 (a girl this time!) - but not until February.  I forget what the situation was, but I asked her recently

"Is it time to boil some water?"

She did not get that reference!  LOL!

Does everyone still remember that saying?  Or was it just in my family?

3 Likes

Presumably, you'd need to boil some water to sterilize anything, and for washing up, in preparation of a home birth - but mostly it was to give the nervous father-to-be something to do when his wife went into labor!  LOL!

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@PillowDetails 

I remember hearing it too, lol! I believe it was like you said, for sterilization.  But I also remember seeing a show where the midwife shouted "boil water!" When asked why, she said it was because she wanted to have some tea. :-D

2 Likes

Do you remember telephone booths?  I miss seeing them , although nowadays most people have cell phones.

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@collecteddust 

I remember them. They're pretty much gone here too now.  I also remember when they were a full booth with a door and a little seat in them. The few that are left are the half booths.

3 Likes

We saw several pay-phones while traveling recently - not the booths, but the wall or pole-mounted ones.

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

@collecteddust    Also, each phone booth used to have a telephone book.

2 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

There is a pole-mounted pay phone a couple of blocks from me, but sadly it has been vandalized and has been inoperable for years.

At the Musso & Frank Grill restaurant in Hollywood (which just celebrated its 100th birthday a few weeks ago) there is a telephone booth in back with a dial telephone. It's been there since the '40's. Full booth, door, seat. 

1 Like

the civic theater in san diego has working phones that make free local calls. 

2 Likes

News reels and cartoons between the movies at the movie theatre?

laughing .... that really shows my age !

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Mine too.  It was a good motivation for my children to be early at the movies. The cartoon was always shown before the movie. So, it was like a double featured.  Be early, get a good seat and enjoy the movie plus the cartoon! Oh yes, the soda and the pop corn too.

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Nine children... how to keep ALL of them quiet?  House rule:  if only one child misbehave, does something wrong, does not do the house chores, the punishment was no movie theater, no permission to attend other child's birthday, no roller skate ring, no swimming pool for ALL of the children.  No matter only one misbehaved. So, everybody had to behave or the whole clan would suffer too. Believe me, it was moooooore

effective than spanking.

2 Likes

@SwissZahlerArt 

You are a brave and admiral woman.....nine children! I think your rule of punishment is absolutely right. I am sure that the child who misbehaved felt worse for letting her siblings down. Standing ovation to you!

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Thank you.

1 Like

Goodness me. To be punished for someone else's bad behavior? Treating a child as if they have any control over another person's behavior is dishonest and cruel. What on Earth does that teach? Be afraid? Be very afraid when at any moment someone else does wrong and you get punished? Is a child supposed to control someone else.. even if they are bigger or older? Yikes! What a unreasonable responsibility. That would be like when the royals used to have "whipping boys". A prince misbehaves and so someone else (an innocent) gets the whip. I think I'd let the innocent go on with their lives and worry about their own behavior. Creating a possible/probable hostile environment between siblings …. wow. Creating anxiety for a child about every moment in the day sound like a good idea? Showing respect for an individual is reasonable. I sure don't want to go to jail because I failed to keep my neighbor honest plus the guilty may not even feel bad about it! I really don't care if they feel bad for me when I know I didn't deserve their punishment. Good gravy people. Think. Children are people too and need our guidance, not our unfair punishments. End of rant.

1 Like

Aw - no posts in over a month?  I hope everyone is doing well, and Happy Thanksgiving to all the friends here who celebrate!

I came to ask a "remember when" question!  Someone in a chat mentioned an old exercise class "chant" (for lack of a better term) -

"I must!  I must!  I must increase my bust!"  LOL!  I remember that from the 60's or 70's. 

But there was another similar one from the same era  that I can only remember the ending -

"something something something - (maybe work those pounds away?) - give them all to Doris Day!"

Ring any bells?

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.