....your mother put your school clothes on the oven door before you dressed in the morning?

pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

Re: Remember when....

@psych62 

Eating that would have made me sick.  I get sick just thinking about it.  Very unappealing.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

@DonnaDesignedWelsh Rarebit is a savory dish consisting of a Cheddar cheese sauce poured over toast. It is a very simple to make. The recipe contains beer but of course we went beer-less in the eighth grade, don't remember what we used as a substitute. 

2 Likes
DonnaDesigned
Conversation Maker

Well, I might have liked toast with cheese on it but my mom would never have served it.  She didn't/doesn't like cheese.  She also would have never used beer.  She and her siblings, raised on a dairy farm, didn't like most dairy products.  I suspect they may all have had lactose intolerant tendencies since I am now lactose intolerant and suspect my son, and a granddaughter and grandson are as well.

I know we cooked in Home Ec but the only thing I really remember making was grapefruit broiled in the oven with something on it.  I didn't/don't like grapefruit which is probably why I remember it.

1 Like

My mother was an excellent sewer, so much so that she made a lot of our clothes including coats.  My sister has always been great at sewing too, plus knitting and crocheting,  In the Home Ec class that girls were forced to take in 7th or 8th grade, I had to make something called a dirndl skirt.  It was a rather bilious green.   I hated it, and actually sewed the zipper onto the bottom of the skirt.  Not on purpose.  I began to suspect I was adopted.  < : )

4 Likes
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

@ImYourGreatAunt 

I never liked making clothes, which is why I hated the sewing part of home ec class.  I wanted to make stuffed animals and tote bags.

I remember I made a t-shirt.  I think the teacher gave me an E for effort, just because I tried very, very, hard.  But she told me, that if I tried to wear it, not to sneeze!  :)

3 Likes

the only class i failed was sewing. it just isn't my thing. i could probably do it today but not back then.

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

When I was a kid I used to love to hand sew stuffed animals out of felt, I even made a mermaid once - that was quite a project, all the scales. Loved to embroider too. But the sewing macgine - hated it. Guess it ought to have been born in the 18th century!

I loved all sorts of crafts. I would take books out of the library for inspiration and do all sorts of things. I even carved a Scotty dog out of a bar of Ivory soap!

I'm not crafty anymore. I work full-time and don't really have the time and energy to invest. But I love Esty crafts (which I really don't consider crafts, more handmade artisan products) and have purchased extensively from this place. 

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@psych62 I admire your "I really don't consider crafts, more handmade artisan products." I wish more people think like that and know to appreciate our art work.

1 Like
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

@Artbesico 

I think people appreciate it more than you think.

some of the stuff on Etsy is just incredible and it makes the things that I make seem very inferior.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@pigeonplumtree I've stopped telling my friends and family when I have a sale, I used to get excited whenever I sold something, telling them was just to share the joy you know, like you wanted to tell someone so they can jump and bounce with you. I didn't get that reaction. They don't believe ini what I do and they don't show any interest in what I do. I often wonder if their attitudes would change if I succeed making this work. I hope, one day, that day would come and I will then know.

1 Like
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

@Artbesico 

I have a remedy for that:  It's none of their business.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@pigeonplumtree one friend never responded when I told her that I had sold something, then one time she when she did responded, she was questioning me about profit. She said it in a condescending tone that made me feel uncomfortable, it was unpleasant. 

2 Likes
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

@Artbesico 

You need to quit worrying about what others think of you. You've nothing to prove to anyone. If doing what you are doing makes you happy, then, who cares what anyone else thinks.

But I understand how you feel, because my family (the relatives) have also criticised me and they still continue to do so. I've had that my entire life.

There's nothing wrong with you or what you are doing.  Just keep on doing it and don't worry about what others think,

3 Likes
DonnaDesigned
Conversation Maker

My family is supportive but I don't tell them when I have sales. If they are here, they smile when they hear the cha ching.

I quit talking about it to friends. Mostly they don't really seem very interested. One friend said to me, '__________ (insert husband's name) asked me if you are making any money or if you are doing it for fun". I said I enjoy doing it but I would not be doing it if I weren't making any money. End of conversation. It seemed condescending and I was kind of annoyed. But in time you learn who is going to be supportive and who is not and don't bother with the 'nots'. I do have a few friends who purchase from me when they want something that I make. I don't know if any of them have actually seen my Etsy shop though. They see my items on facebook. I gave one friend a bowl cozy for her husband and her and she ended up buying them for all her kids and grandkids. She sews and I offered to tell her how to make them but she said no she wanted to buy them from me.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@pigeonplumtree people like to criticize and judge don't they, not nice. 

2 Likes
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

@Artbesico 

It is what some people do best.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@DonnaDesigned You have a very nice friend there =]

2 Likes

having done crafts yourself, gives you the great perspective about how much it takes to create. some people don't get it. the one thing that still makes my shake my head at craft shows are when people scoff at the price of something because they don't think it takes time or energy. 

that's one of the reasons i knit or crochet while i am at a show. people will come up to me and say, I can do that and then i offer them up my knitting. I ask them how much they think the yarn costs (always too low) and how much would they pay someone to knit it for them. that usually gets them a little closer to the light.

0 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Remember when...

...you opened your first brick and mortar store? The planning, the cleaning, the designing, the decoration...

3 Likes
pigeonplumtree
Community Curator

Remember when they weren't known as a brick and mortar store and just a shop or a store?

6 Likes

Remember the 'five and dime' stores...now they're the 'Dollar ' stores! Talk about inflation!

On my list of good memories was being able to only have a quarter in my pocket, but knew I could buy some 'good stuff' at the five and dime. For years that is where I bought Christmas presents with what little money I had at the time.

3 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

A few days ago, I heard the comment, "The dollar stores do not have things for a dollar anymore.  Everything is $2.00 and upper."

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

I never thought of five and dimes and dollar stores as being the same things. The five and dime in my hometown had an eclectic variety of stuff ranging from tiny rubber toy monsters to fabric and embroidery floss, clothing patterns, live goldfish, cut glassware.......I think if you mixed dollar store with a dash of Jo-Ann's Fabric, Target, and maybe Walmart you'd get what I recall as the old fashioned five and dime. 

I'll never forget that creaky wooden floor too.............Now the store that used to be the five and dime in my hometown has long since been remodeled and the wooden floor is gone (its a restaurant now). 

3 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

Remember penny candy? One cent gumball machines? I don't even see gumball machines anymore. They used to be in front of every supermarket. And the mechanical horses, I used to love riding them.....................long extinct. 

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

🤣  😀 🤣  Some time ago, there was a cute biiiiig gumball machine by the supermarket cafeteria. I ran to deposit a quarter and see the gumball going down, twisting, passing through tunnels, sliding. Well, my husband was at the check out lane and ran into ex coworkers.  When they asked him, "Where is your wife?" He answered very serious, "She is living her second childhood by the gumball machine, over there, the old bag who plays to be a child. Now you see you my friend such and such calls her the child bride."

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.