Newspaper as packing material...

This may be a silly question but how do you feel about using newspaper as packing material? How do you feel if you receive an item that uses newspaper? 

I am all about reusing and recycling. It bothers me to buy packing paper or other materials at the store when I have tons of newspaper at home!  Selling vintage requires a lot of packing. However, I also like to keep appearances when packing my items and make the packing look neat. 
I was just curious to hear how other sellers and buyers feel about it!

Thanks in advance!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
20 Replies

Re: Newspaper as packing material...

I'm not a big fan because newsprint rubs off on everything.  It gets on the item.  It gets on hands.  It's just really messy and dirty, IMO.   Better to recycle the newspapers and use something cleaner, I think.    I'm sure not everyone feels this way about it, but I would be worried that my customer would be ticked off to open their package and end up with black hands.

3 Likes

I'm in total agreement with this. In my other shops (vintage and ceramic) I wrap the item in tissue and bubble wrap and then use packing peanuts. Not only is this cleaner it is much lighter in weight so costs the buyer less  for shipping. Also a lot of buyers are also sellers so can reuse the peanuts.  I also do not think newspaper or paper of any sort protects the item enough.  In the past I have purchased items for resale packed with newspaper(mostly early days of eBay) and they always seemed to come chipped  (chips were inside the package so I know they were chipped in shipment).

1 Like

I'm not a fan either. My hands feel dirty after handling it, so I wouldn't use it with my items.

However, blank recycled newsprint paper is my packing material of choice.

ETA: I don't sell breakables, so my input is probably not helpful. But as a buyer I wouldn't be upset, just not my preference.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

I agree with GatheringCharms. I don't think it protects and cushions as well as bubble wrap.

If you want to reuse packing materials, ask you neighbors and friends to give you theirs and their clean boxes as well.

I also get clean materials from inside my post office lobby .They have recycle bins there and I never have to buy either.

2 Likes

I used to LOVE doing this.  It saved me so much.   

Now we have no garbage cans at all, no recycle bins, just these.... :(

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@GatheringCharms 

That's a message in your post office?  How can they even inforce that?

1 Like

@Former_Member 

Yep.  They're posted up ALL OVER the place in the post office.   I'm guessing that since they have cameras and it's a federal building that they can enforce it as littering on federal property?

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Add me to the "not a fan" club.  I can't stand to even touch newpaper, it's right up there with fingernails on a chalkboard!

I totally understand recycling packing material, so it's your call.  I'm fortunate that I get tons of bubblewrap and air pillows from my day job that I can reuse.  I would not be upset if I received a package with newspaper packing material, I would just need to put on my gloves, lol.  Just make sure that the item isn't wrapped in newspaper - just use it a cushioning.

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

GatheringCharms.- That's a shame. Too bad some people ruin it for others. :(

Well, there's also local business that I frequent that have given me their packing and boxes.

3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, check out a few local shops...I'm sure they would be glad to have someone haul their boxes and packing material away for free.  Liquor stores have really sturdy boxes, too.

2 Likes

That's a really good idea.  I'll have to check that out.   Probably nothing here in my little tiny town (or the town my post office is in either), but in the next town over that could be a really good option, and I have to go through there to get to the post office anyway.

2 Likes

Biodegradable packing peanuts are my packing material of choice -- they are only about 10% or so more than regular peanuts at my box/packing supplier.

As to the OP question...I would avoid using printed-on newsprint paper for my items, but I do use non-printed paper to wrap certain things. That isn't so much for cushioning as it is to avoid having different pieces rub together and potentially scratch the finish or dent wood.

From what I understand, paper, even balled up, doesn't provide very good cushioning, especially against things like impacts.

3 Likes

Great points everyone! Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Just updated my post...though it isn't like life and death important or anything.

2 Likes

I don't mind getting items wrapped in newspaper or newspaper in the box. I find it interesting to read the papers see what is going on in that part of the world. I recycle the newspaper with my own stuff. 

3 Likes

Yes, me too. I enjoy reading a paper from some other location. It’s frustrating, though, when I just get part of an article continued on a page I don’t have! 

But I can see that you wouldn’t want it in contact with textiles or anything that might be stained by the ink. I guess it depends on what you’re shipping.  

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind any packing material as long as it's clean and does its job of protecting the item.  Recycling is good, I recycle clean packing materials all the time.

Best wishes,

1 Like

I don’t like newspaper, as some inks have a very off putting odor, it can sometimes feel damp, and the ink can rub off onto and be difficult to get off of items.

1 Like

I wrap everything in bubble first, so my items don't have direct contact with the surrounding packing materials. I use everything from air pillows, to packing peanuts (clean and reused), the weekly ads, to recycled brown paper that I get in my own online orders, to newspaper, even the large round rolls from inside my giant rolls of bubble that I buy. I've even used clean egg cartons between inner and outer boxes when double boxing breakable items!

I generally use lighter materials for longer distances, but if a package is shipping to a neighboring state I can utilize the heavier packing materials like the paper and even small boxes for filler.

I may be committing some faux pas but with people complaining about shipping costs I have to do what I have to do not to take a huge hit on my profit.

2 Likes
HotOffHerHook
Conversation Maker

I think using newspaper as packing material contributes to its weight which of course contributes to its shipping cost.....after the lastest increase by the USPS I'd be looking for less expensive ways to pack and ship!  This postal increase by zone is maddening.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.