New Refund Policy--Any Thoughts ?

I received an email from Etsy 24 June only due to the fact I have purchased items within the past two years. The 'new' refund policy starting 25 July--or around that date allows buyers to ask for a refund within a 180 day limit!! Can you imagine allowing or having to accept a refund for that length of time. How about this Christmas I buy a bunch of decorations in early Nov.---display them until early Jan. then contact seller and offer the reason/excuse 'I don't need these, wrong colour, didn't like them'--I will mail back ASAP and expect a refund ASAP. Every sale will not be complete or refund free until 180 days have passed. Not fair for sellers and some buyers will take advantage. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
13 Replies

Re: New Refund Policy--Any Thoughts ?

I wonder if you're in a test.  I haven't received that notice, and I buy things on Etsy often.  It still says that each seller has their own refund policy in the Etsy Help article.  Maybe Etsy will cover the cost during the test?  Do they do that sort of thing?

2 Likes

@BlueSpruceCrafts "Maybe Etsy will cover the cost during the test?" LOOOOOOOOOL

1 Like

180 days is ridiculous and, honestly, I don't even follow all of these unrealistic "improvements". Will deal with them if needed. Free shipping etc. looks great for etsy advertising, but not for many sellers who have to increase the prices to cover shipping or eat the loss. I can't pay for shipping a large painting... Next, they will suggest giving items for free, but pay etsy fees... some buyers will take adventage of course of 180 days policy.

1 Like

It is still up to the seller.  It has to do with finance, you will only be able to issue a refund for 180 days through Etsy, after that you will need to do it some other way. This is what I received:

New limit on refunds
You can issue a refund for orders made through Etsy Payments for up to 180 days after an order was placed. As a shop owner, you can set your own refund policy in your shop policies. If you want to issue a refund for an order after the 180-day window has passed, you’ll need to work with your customer to do that with another payment method outside of Etsy.

3 Likes

I would like to know how soon it will be mandatory to offer it up to 180 days? free shipping was (is) kind of optional, but LOL it's expected now.

1 Like

Thankfully (for now) we get to choose whether or not to participate. I sell graphic downloads and there would be no way I could do refunds as there is no way for me to delete it off the buyers computer. Crossing fingers that this "good idea fairy" stays an option only.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

i read it last night and wondered how long before somebody made a thread... 

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

i find it preposterous. it is real, i read it as their new terms of service, not a test. i'm a buyer and i see alllll sorts of issues.

buyer buys corsage for daughter's prom. it is perfect and she loves it. daughter goes off to prom wearing it, has a great time, best prom ever, loves the corsage. 5 months later prom king suddenly breaks up with her to date the new head cheerleader. daughter now hates evvverything about the prom. she tears up the photos, cuts up her dress into rags, and equally blames the once perfect corsage as well. mommy tells seller to refund in full because obviously the corsage did not go with the dress...

ok, that was silly but you get the idea.

4 Likes

Thanksfully I do not have to take returns on  worn doggie diapers for hygienic reasons! And trust me--I can TELL if they have been worn--I have a very good nose! :-)

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

I received the email and nothing in it says shops are required to have a 180 day return policy.  It says:

New limit on refunds
You can issue a refund for orders made through Etsy Payments for up to 180 days after an order was placed. As a shop owner, you can set your own refund policy in your shop policies. If you want to issue a refund for an order after the 180-day window has passed, you’ll need to work with your customer to do that with another payment method outside of Etsy.

1 Like

I remember when sellers had the option of having just PayPal for payments, then Etsy added Etsy Payments and said sellers must also have Etsy Payments as well as PayPal. I didn't do that and my account was suspended. Fast forward to now----Etsy Payments are in control, free shipping is being pushed more and more for sellers to offer so, how long do you think it will be before the 180 day refund policy is the law ? Your own refund policy set in your shop policies could mean nothing. 

2 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

Well, requesting a refund and actually getting a refund is not the same.

1 Like

I'm trying to find a way they can make this a mandatory thing and I don't see it. It doesn't make sense just for the examples given here. Rsther, I read it that etsy is saying you can do a refund off of money paid through their system but after that, you need to get that money elsewhere cuz etsy has closed its books on it.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.