iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Learning from the Big Box Stores

Since my two Etsy shops (my other one is theHouseAcrosstheBay) have assumed the financially unstable position (both are down at least 75% from when I started them), I took a part time job to get some financial stability.  Major nationwide chain store (it's initials are DG) and while I thought the weekly paycheck was the prize, the real reward is getting to know how the big guys do it and what their timelines are.  So, since I spent 7 hours yesterday putting out Easter candy on the shelves and have to go back tonight to put up summer seasonal (during an snow storm yet!), I thought I'd share a time table so you can get to know what to put out when in your stores and what to be working on so you're on top of all of your seasonal offerings.

January - Valentine's Day and here's a suprise - a second go round at back to school.  Start bringing in those items for spring (the rational is people are already tired of winter and looking forward to spring - and it sells even up here where we're mired in snow). Here's a hint: the end of January is a great time to buy Christmas supplies for crafting - our store was clearing out Christmas stuff for 12 cents and that included wreath forms that were $5 each and $8 boxes of ornaments. A nice way to increase your profit margin.

February - Spring and summer items are a must and because Easter is late this year, the Easter stuff is going up now.  When Easter is early, get it up in January.

March/April - It's all about summer and start posting Mother's Day and Father's day. And don't forget graduation and proms if applicable to you.

May/June - Summer is in full bloom (pardon the pun) and fall items are brought in.  Fourth of July stuff goes up in May.  Picnic, barbecue, and any outdoor activites necessaries sell out quickly.

July - It's all about back to school.  From kindergarten to college.  And bring in the items for fall. Also consider the "Christmas in July" angle - I can't believe the number of people who shop for Christmas all year round.

August/September - Halloween, fall and Thanksgiving.  Santa starts poking out his head the end of September.

October - Get that Christmas stuff out there!!!!

November/December - Ho ho ho - it's all Santa's game these months.  Once Christmas is over, switch directly to January and start again.  It's the Big Box version of lather, rinse, repeat.  =)

Hope this helps or inspires!!!!  (Cheryl at iDoDiY and theHouseAcrosstheBay

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
20 Likes
20 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Learning from the Big Box Stores

Okay what is DG?, I'm sensing that it's not a Dolce & Gabbana store you are working at...I don't think they sell easter candy or would sell anything on clearance for .12 cents, lol.  

We shopped for my daughters prom dress mid January.  We went to a formal wear/dress shop in London, Ontario.  This store was packed (at 2pm on a Sunday) with teens trying on gowns.  We were told that to wait until February or March would be too late - most dress styles have to be ordered in and then altered.  Glad we found one that was close to a perfect fit, it just needs to be shortened a bit.

1 Like
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name but the D is a form of currency ($) and if they were in the army, they would be a general.  I've been self employed all of my life so I thought I'd hate working for anyone but it's fun.  

2 Likes

@Former_Member 

Thanks for the "reminder" that I need to list my stash of vintage prom dresses.

My "model" who is my sister lives 1 & 1/2 hours away; and there's snow outdoors..  See?  I am looking for excuses not to deal with them, sigh.  

Maybe I'm too late?  Oh well.  Maybe I'll put them away & list in the summer for Homecoming celebrations in the fall.

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I get it now, iDoDiY.  $General

MixieAndMoxie, I have vintage wool jackets that I've been meaning to list for a few years.  It's not the usual thing that I sell so this must be the reason for the hesitation in listing, lol.

2 Likes

I have always done this--for 2 reasons

1. Yes, the big box stores do this--here  we have 8" of snow on the ground right now and the stores have bathing suits on the racks!

2. We pay for 4 months anyway--so what is the point in waiting until after Thanksgiving to list your Christmas stuff? The listing will run thru March (which might not be a bad thing--but one can always renew if necessary).  I put my christmas items up around the 1st of August. That way they run thru the 1st of DEc. If something sells, I simply renew and let it run. Right now I have Christmas items that renewed, and I even sold some in January.  ONce the current ones expire I will simply let them sit until Aug.

Anyway--what I am saying is this: It has always worked for me to market this way.

3 Likes

Bathing suits, heck ya, spring break babeeeeee

1 Like

Thanks, @iDoDiY!  I am good about this for the end of year holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) but not as diligent about the spring/summer ones.  This list will be very helpful.  So nice of you to gather it all together in one place!

2 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I like DG, I get supplies (packing tape mostly and the occasional pack of rubberbands for boxes) there cheaper than anywhere else.  Thanks for the tips. :)

Best wishes,

1 Like
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Me, too, Big Dog.  I never thought to purchase supplies there before I started working for them.  But now it's buh-bye office stores, they're too expensive.  BTW, all DG stores have clearance aisles with somewhat reduced prices.  But every now and then when there's too much clearance, each store puts the clearance on clearance which knocks off another 50 - 70%.  So make friends with one of the workers who can keep you clued in.

2 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. :)

I used to get packing supplies online, but the postage made it cheaper to buy them locally, plus it's better when I'm running low to just run down the street than have to wait for supplies to arrive.

Best wishes, 

1 Like

Thank goodness someone figured otu DG. I wouldn't have known what it was. This list is great. I'm gonna pin so it goes to the top of the page.

1 Like
9ElizabethStreet
Conversation Maker

This is a great schedule, no matter what type of items you sell. It's a reminder to start working on seasonal items well ahead of the season, especially for handmade, so you have time for photos & creating new listings, etc. Glad it's getting pinned because I'm going to refer to it often! I work for a different type of retailer (clothing), but the primary thing I've learned is you have to think 6 to 12 months ahead at all times.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this great information @iDoDiY .  I have started highlighting seasonal items in my shop about a month or so ahead of the actual holidays by highlighting them in my featured items, putting them on sale, and promoting them on social media.  It's a little different with jewelry.  I don't always have items applicable to specific holidays like Easter, but I have the option of promoting birthstones for upcoming birthday months.  Right now it's hearts, flowers and amethyst jewelry.  Soon it will be shamrocks, clovers and green stone jewelry.  

1 Like
VintageBookworms
Conversation Maker

This is excellent information.  Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing Cherry! Studying it now so I may adjust in my timetable once it sinks in!

1 Like
lowe40
Crafty Poster

I often see ppl ask

when should I list Christmas stuff??

and my answer is ALL yr long! Die hard Christmas folks shop 12 mo a yr, always looking for things they don’t have. 

Same w/Halloween stuff, the die hard folks shop all yr long, & it’s not just a “few” ppl for either of holidays either!

both grps have tons of followers who shop all yr long!

2 Likes

Definitely good info! Of course, I don't do seasonal offerings in general, as it isn't the sort of stuff my shop is set up for (no CNC or laser engraver for making signs and stuff like that).

:)

1 Like
normasbath
Conversation Maker

Life is so rushed these days. but we do have to plan things.

1 Like

I was going to unpin this but I read it again...this needs to stay pinned because we're getting to the time where folks are gonna want to know this.

1 Like

I've been off Etsy forums for a while but back today and found this gem. Great list. I'd just like to add that if you sell internationally, it may be an advantage to know when other countries have their special occasions - mothers'/fathers' day in Australia is May and September respectively, Easter is in our autumn (fall) and Christmas is summertime. Our school year starts in Jan/Feb. Basically if you offer anything seasonal by weather, somewhere in the world a buyer is looking for it so if you got, list it :)

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.