Laws and taxes for personal online shop?

Hello!

I was thinking about creating my own seperate small online shop. I won't be renting prepared shop systems. What are laws and taxes what I must incomporate in my own shop? What are difference between selling to customers within EU and outside EU? Is there anything else to know from legal side? I'm not strong at legal things, perhaps there are some good examples what I could copy and edit as needed? I was reading about Etsy and it scared me how much fees and taxes are automatically added for sellers and buyers even between neighboring states. There for I started to wonder how to create my own website legally correctly.  Thank you!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Reply

Re: Laws and taxes for personal online shop?

Actually it's a great favor to us sellers that Etsy is taking care of the sales taxes for other states for us.  As individuals, it would be extremely difficult to calculate possible sales tax for each sale and then have to remit it individually to each state that collects online sales tax.  For me, the fees that Etsy charges are a much smaller percentage of my sales than booth rent at a craft fair, not to mention all those hours sitting in a booth, instead of making sales at home while I'm sleeping!  I'm also happy with the way Etsy makes it so easy to set up a shop and list items, make sales, and print postage for sold items.  However, if you are in Europe, most of what I just said probably doesn't apply to you.  (I'm in the US.)

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.