VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Is Etsy trying to make us all shut up and go away by herding all forum posts into narrow categories

...which do not necessarily apply to peoples' questions or concerns and so they give up?

I want to know where I can find my thread bookmarks. No idea where my bookmarks might be. And there is no forum category in which to ask.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
29 Replies
frighten
Conversation Maker

Re: Is Etsy trying to make us all shut up and go away by herding all forum posts into narrow categor

Probably. I think some forum posts that you had marked or commented on in the last forum set-up went poof but for threads that you bookmarked after the change over, I think you would click on your name above community member and then profile and it will show all your forum activity including bookmarks. But for some reason that isn't working right now and I keep getting an error. When working, that would be the place to look for them. 

0 Likes

Re: Is Etsy trying to make us all shut up and go away by herding all forum posts into narrow categor

It's right under settings in your subscription section.  I didn't do it, but I seen bookmark there

0 Likes

Subscription is where you find any threads you have been on

0 Likes

what they said..

i didn't have any bookmarks but that's where they should be. on the other hand, they are still working out the kinks and some things work and other will get you the big red screen of death. 

0 Likes

Only took me three days to find it and still don't know exactly how to organize it

0 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Yes, IMHO by splitting us up it should shut us up, it's the old divide and conquer strategy, assuming Etsy has any strategy besides chasing the dollar that is.

Best wishes,

9 Likes

If anything, BigDogLadysJools,

Etsy's new forum look

has made me more bold!

:)

Happy Sales to Us ...

2 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

LOL, good one! :)

Best wishes,

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Exactly, BigDogLadysJools!

Reminds me of grade school where a teacher constantly separates and moves children around in an attempt to control the classroom. 

0 Likes

If they don't allow us to speak freely and express our issues with the platform, they can avoid bad press.  Ecommerce Bytes frequently reports on seller issues with the various "improvements" that are rolled out.  That information seems to have been fed by the old forum's openness.  

1 Like
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Right. In which of those narrow forum categories can we ask about or complain about our issues with Etsy itself?

I think the broad Questions and Discussions forum categories were plenty adequate.

0 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

Speaking of ECB, they tweeted something today about someone complaning that if you have been muted from the forum that you are blocked from joining teams. I wondered if that was true or if they are just not understanding the new system. 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Sorry to disagree but ECB do not "report" on anything really.  They just copy and paste comments which support the controversial viewpoint, from various other sources and site forums and present it as "expert opinion".  😒

0 Likes
Woodsparkle
Conversation Maker

@frighten I think it's true and they are working on it. See the update ( Jan 25th ) in the orange-ish strip on the forum page.

It's here too at the top of the page just read down to the update. It says something about this .

1 Like
frighten
Conversation Maker

Okay, thank you. I hadn't read that. Good to see that they are listening to the complaints and making adjustments. 

2 Likes

Thank @Woodsparkle.  Glad to know they are working on some of the issues.

1 Like

Right now, people seem to be using the Creative Process board for those posts.  They really do need to add a general question/discussion category.  But again, they really don't want us to have that option, which is why we are here.  🤐

0 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

Some have dismissed this as a "conspiracy theory" but it seems pretty obvious to me that this is one of the goals, in my opinion. Not the only one but yeah, I do think there's a shutting-up and herding-up element consciously in Etsy's aims for the forums. I think HauteVintageJewels has it spot-on about the old forums making dissent, complaints and home-truths too easy to be seen by places like E-Commerce Bytes, and this new layout obfuscates things rather efficiently......

4 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

True, they are trying to shut us up, but what Etsy hasn't considered is that venting in the forums is better for Etsy than disgruntled customers venting off site, in social media and other places that Etsy can't control.  I can see a big sh*tstorm coming the next time they screw up something big time, (like the overpayment issue with non-U.S. sellers), it's just a matter of time IMHO.

Best wishes,

5 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

I totally agree, BDL. It would be in Etsy's best interests to keep it here "close to home," than to make it so verboten/difficult to do it here that we go off to the even wider web to do it there.

And there will always be a screw-up/crappy thing happening that people will legitimately want to question, challenge and not just knuckle-under.

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Breeze, exactly.  We're talking about peoples' monies here and for some their livelihoods, too.  I remember a gentleman who wasn't paid the monies owed him for weeks on end thanks to an Etsy screw up and it affected his life adversely.  If he hadn't had the forums to turn to, things could have been worse for him and for Etsy.  Knuckling under just isn't possible sometimes or even desirable as we both know.

Best wishes,

0 Likes

If you consider how they ignored us for months just recently, even with serious issues in bugs, I can totally believe that theory.

1 Like

I'm new to Etsy and find it amazing that any company could be so deceitful as to mess up forums in purpose.   But how naive could I be not to accept the fact that you all must be correct.   You are right... always complaining going on in forums.  Prob makes them look bad, but we do have a free speech amendment in this country

0 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

HealingStone, I would say there's plenty of room for us to be wrong, as it's only our own speculation and opinion, and we'll never get to really know if that was not even a thought in their heads. ;)

But just that it kinda looks that way, yep.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.