Have you ever received an award?

I received a 3rd place ribbon in my elementary school's spelling bee.  Since then, not much. :)

Have you ever received an award for anything?  Have you ever been recognized for your craft?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
28 Replies
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Re: Have you ever received an award?

Ha! My prize for winning a spelling bee was ... a dictionary.

I might have been in 3rd grade too. Or 4th.

1 Like

I wasn't in 3rd grade, I won 3rd place.  :)

0 Likes
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Well then. I won this round because I won 1st place, in spelling. Whether or nor I can read another story.

0 Likes
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

I was a good swimmer. I was great at clamming and was a good (how shall I phrase this?) catcher of crabs. Never could ice skate though.

0 Likes

I would imagine the crabs made it uncomfortable to ice skate.

0 Likes
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Did you know that profiles now work and that anyone, even customers, can see everything you post? There are no privacy provisions in place at all.

0 Likes

What in the world does this have to do with my Award topic?  You see, Susan, this is why you and I always end up in a corner.  Neither of us can stay on topic, or play well with the others.  

0 Likes

In my 5th grade spelling bee I missed a word on purpose because I wanted off the stage.

I was painfully shy. The word was already, I purposely spelled it allready. How sad is that?

But, that same year, I did win the blue ribbon in an art contest. 

1 Like
lowe40
Crafty Poster

I won 1st place in the local yearly fair for a picture that’s similar to cross stitch but done w/square plasticbits pit ins clear base w/pegs sticking up that you place the plastic square on. It was a white cat w/blue eyes. 

It was from a place called “pixel hobby” & it seems to have been popular in Europe. I did it abt 10 yrs ago or so.

Funny thing was when I registered they kept trying to put me in the cross stitch catagory because at 1st glance they thought it was cross stitch. 

I had anticipated this issues, cuz I’d had so many ppl look at it while I was working on it & when I took it in to get framed and initially thought it was crosss stitch that I printed off a couple pics of the components, & several partly worked on pieces showing the clear bases (each pic is 9-18+ clear base panels which then have to be mounted together & framed-and THOUSANDS of little squares each added 1 by 1) w/squares being added.

After consulting they finally put me in general crafts & I thought I had no hopes  of winning even honorable mention since they couldn’t eve figure out where to put me. I had several judges comment on the pics & how helpful they were . While it was displayed the hung it w/the pics showing for the public how was made . 

Usually we go to the fair on opening night then 1 or 2 more times. I was sick that yr so I never made it to the fair but my sister went & she called me from the fair to let me know that I’d won 1st place for the pic. She even had to go pic it up for me. 

I also got I think 3rd place on a cross stitch project abt 2-3 yrs before that. 

I had made a pic w/oriental theme for a friend who had his berm decorated with some of those accents. It was a butterfly in the center (butterflies are by business mascot-business name is Flutterbees cuz when I 1st started doing craft shows I did rolled beeswax candles & liked butterflies-called them flutterbys-so I combined the 2 for Flutterbees). 

It had an oriental coin going above the butterfly & “sticks” at the top & bottom so it looked like a scroll. I found a coin like the one on the pic so instead of cross stitching it I added the real coin, & instead of cross stitching the “sticks” I got some tiny wood dowels, cut then to size & painted a glossy black & mounted them w/gold cord. 

I gave it to him but told him I had to get it back to enter in the fair. After it won 3rd place when I gave it back to him I gave him the ribbon too. He had said he was going to hang it in the office (he’s a dr) before taking it home .

He wanted to give the ribbon back but I said to keep it for awhile, so he gave it back abt 9 mo later after his pts saw it & then all his friends who came to visit him at home got to see it repeatedly. 

Our local fair is one of the biggest in the state outside of the state fair in Columbia sc. 

(sorry for the long post!)

1 Like

The pixel artwork sounds amazing!  I would love to see it!  How many hours did it take to create it?

0 Likes
lowe40
Crafty Poster

This is the one I won w/with. If you enlarge it you can see the plastic squares  it’s done on 6 base plates  

I have another one to work on that’s a fairy  it’s twice the size of this one. I think framed this is 9x12, the pic itself is 8x10 I think..

how many hours? Lordy.....a couple weeks for 3-5 hrs most nites  I’d say 30/40 hrs  

p

3 Likes
lowe40
Crafty Poster

This is the one I’m going to do next. 16 base plates, 52 colors & 15x20 in size. Been awhile since I looked it up. Thought it was twice the size of the cat face but it’s 3 times the size! Oh, my!

image1.jpeg

0 Likes
lowe40
Crafty Poster

I had a pic here but it disappeared!

(at least for me)

0 Likes

i guess my biggest award is the Stanley H Perry Theatre award given at Aurora College (now university.)

2 Likes

I used to get lots of awards in grade school (good grades, patrol duty awards, choir competitions, science fairs, track-and-field, etc) and one from when I was in cadets, none in my adulthood though and none for my craft (yet). 

A funny annecdote about not being reconised for my craft...when I was in junior high, the yearbook published a page of the artwork of only 7 students. One of my drawings was published, and of course it was the only one without the artist's name printed longside the art! I still have the original too. 

I plan to enter some of my work in a local craft show this year though so maybe I'll get my time in the spotlight yet! *fingers crossed!*

1 Like
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

Now that I come to think of it, no, I don't think I ever have received an award!

I think I got a certificate for coming 1st in a swimming contest or something, in school, but it was only the youngsters and one length of breaststroke or something very easy, so no great thing.

My art photography got published in a local publication's article on a local annual art show, a couple of different years, and at other times when one of my photos highlighted an event. There were only a few photographers featured in the article, far more accomplished than I am, so it was a thrill that they picked some of my photos to publish.

I got selected for a monthly showcase night the first time I played my songs at a certain open mic, where usually someone had to show up and play for weeks before getting included in the monthly showcase. So, that felt pretty good even though maybe they just needed a space filler, lol.

1 Like
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

Not sure what type of awards you mean. I won awards with my GSD's when showing them.

Won a couple for show jumping, ( very small charity horse shows). I was amazed, as I was only a weekend rider then. Didn't have much time on my hands for hobbies.

Won a few writing competitions. Loved writing, still do.

Won a few with my Border collies, when we trained and competed.

Let's not talk about school.

2 Likes

It's great reading through everyone's accomplishments here, there's plenty of talented people on this team!

I enjoy entering juried exhibits in art galleries, museums, libraries which host community art clubs, etc.

• Best of Show for a mixed-media abstract painting called "Serenity Storm"
  • Third place for an abstract acrylic painting called "Once"
  • First place for a fine art photo called "Intergalactic Scenic Overlook"
  • Third place for a fine art photo called "On a Wing and a Prayer"
  • Some honorable mentions for other fine art photos and/or paintings
2 Likes

Way long ago, I won awards in canine obedience and in tai chi. . . . Not at the same time. . . . 

1 Like
lowe40
Crafty Poster

OPV,

Would have been interesting if it had been together

0 Likes

Back when I was in school, I won a good deal of awards in art displays, music competitions (flute and composing), and other things like that.   But I guess I never really.... valued them?   I dunno.  I was always one of those people that liked to master a skill and then once it wasn't a challenge anymore, abandoned it for something else.   So usually an award meant it was time to move on to something else.

0 Likes

The greatest reward for me would be to receive some likes by this community...  No, but seriously: I have dozens of ribbons.

2 Likes

When I was a kid I won something for sticking two pieces of blutack on a banana and saying it was a dolphin. I remember being chuffed at the time but now it just seems stupid

0 Likes

When I was into quilting I entered quilts in our county fair for a few years. I've won best of show, people's choice, and some ribbons. I aslo got an honorable mention in an art competition.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.