Has Etsy overcharged you?

I've just been made aware that a lot of Etst sellers have been overcharged to their credit card...check you emails and see if you're one of them. This is the email someone got today (this is a US seller)...

No photo description available.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
15 Replies

Re: Has Etsy overcharged you?

Whoa...  I dont like that they can randomly take money that you don't owe from your bank account :( 

In my opinion this deserves an explaination to EVERYONE, even those not affected letting us know what they are doing to make sure that it doesn't happen again.   

7 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I agree 100%.

Best wishes,

1 Like

I saw this ealier in the bugs post. It is much worse than the above--one seller said they tried to charge his CC 124K!  Since his limit was much lower than that the CC company had declined it.  A lot of people are really upset as to how this is being handled.  Even the refunding.

There is a really long post in bugs if you want to go read it--It is moving very fast. Last time I checked a couple hours ago it was up to 12 pages--I am sure it is longer now.

1 Like
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

It's up to 18 pages now and people are starting to report issues with the 1099s Etsy sent them.  The next slap in the face is that Etsy has marked the issued "solved" without any explanation.

1 Like

@iDoDiYyes, I just saw all that!  I think we are to page 19 now.

0 Likes

Twenty Two Pages & Counting! What a really unbelievably messed up situation!

1 Like

@iDoDiY 

Etsy doesn't mark it as solved- a user checked that box when they hit accept as solution (or whatever the exact verbiage is) and the orange check mark shows up. There can be many solutions found in any thread- for particular answers for different people. Doesn't mean the problem is fixed- means perhaps, someone is taking advice to work with a credit card vs a debit card or something like that. 

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"We're very sorry for the trouble or concern..."

Seriously, WTF Etsy?  How about getting your act together and stop all of these "mess ups" with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!

2 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Hear, hear!  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like us in their accounts messing with their money.

Best wishes,

0 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

It's deeply shocking what's going on. That thread in Bugs - the highest overcharge someone posted was one I saw that said theirs was $144,000. One hundred and forty four thousand dollars, Etsy took from them.

Someone else posted that their bank account is now four figures overdrawn and they have NO money for the next three days - it's a holiday three-day weekend in the US as it's Presidents Day on Monday for them. It's heartbreaking and also absolutely enraging.

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I agree, it is shocking and disgusting.  But hey, as long as Etsy gets theirs, they don't care what happens to the little people.  

Best wishes,

1 Like

I think this is just a little to convienent for me more like accidently on purpose lots if people closed down when the new payment plan went into effect I think this was a convienent oopsy to make up for the loss. 

0 Likes

Omy goodness! I feel sorry for all of you that have been taken advantage of I don't have mine in auto pay and NO CREDIT card on file .Never trusted them Now definitely don't trust them my trust died when they implemented the new plan 

0 Likes

Is autopay  what they have in common? I didn't get that letter.  I like the new pay system and this doesn't seem to be an error with the system itself. This could have happened under the old system as well if it is autopay related. This is a human error somewhere in the line. Hopping over to read the thread. 

0 Likes

From reading the latest Forum thread, this also happened to people without the autopay turned on.  As a precaution, I turned mine off as soon as I saw it was happening.  

Etsy is now claiming it was a site change that caused this to happen and it only affected a handful of sellers.   That thread is pretty long and growing, so it looks like a little more than a handful.  What kind of site change would cause random folks to be charged 100's to 100's of thousands?  The numbers are completely random as are the seller locations and shop size.

If I had been charged $144,000 I would have had a heart attack!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.