VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Do you ever feel isolated working at home?

I am a loner but I do often feel isolated.

People I know are on a completely different schedule from my own.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
19 Replies
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Re: Do you ever feel isolated working at home?

Yeah I  get you! That's why I force myself to get out every day, whether it's a bicycle ride or walk or just to the library .

1 Like

Well, I must be feeling isolated because here I am again, reading and replying in The World's Largest Team!

1 Like

Very. And I’m also a loner. Don’t know what I’d do without my dog. 

2 Likes

Same here; I have a very quirky cat who usually helps keep me entertained.

0 Likes

Very much so, yes. We live pretty far away from anything in the city. Usually I like that, but it doesn't help when you're feeling a bit isolated. I don't usually have access to a vehicle either, so that doesn't help. My partner needs it to get to his day job. It's hard some days, even though I'm very much an introvert.

1 Like

I get this question a lot when people find out I work from home.     For me... not really, no.   I'm an introvert at heart, and always have been.  I find face to face socializing to be very strenuous and can be quite exhausting.   Even just being out in public around others, sometimes, is often too much.  

It's possible it helps that I was an only child, and that I grew up living in a secluded spot out in the woods in an extremely rural area.    I now live in a condominium, so I constantly feel like there's people around even when I'm home alone.

2 Likes

Sometimes. I'm usually ok unless I don't have my car or van and then I just feel trapped. But I do a lot of stuff at church and there are weeks where I crave the silence.

0 Likes

Yup. Currently a work at home mom

Right now, horrible- it's either been cold or we've been sick for the past month. I almost miss working out of the house.

0 Likes

I'm a lone wolf and love.  Is it lonely? Yes...but I have my dog horse n cats

1 Like

I love working on my own at home. For me it's freedom. If I ever do feel isolated, I go to the shops, then I'm reminded how much I hate people and I'm happy to go back home! (I don't really hate people, but you know what I mean).

6 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

StarrFox- Oh that made me laugh! Cause once I get out there to grocery shop or whatever, I say the same thing.

You should hear me swear at all the bad drivers ...( in my head).

1 Like

I swear at bad drivers out loud :)

1 Like

I have a full time job outside of Etsy, but yes I do feel isolated during the evenings and weekends while I am working in my Etsy shop.  My daughter comes over sometimes on the weekend and irons the bias tape to help me out.  I work so much faster with company to chit chat with.  The dogs seem to be less needy and content to just hang out and watch us talk and work too.

0 Likes

Sometimes it would be great to have a colleague to talk to or laugh or whatever. I felt alone a long time, but joined an outdoor fitness group which helps me staying in contact with real humans! Helps a lot and I go out doing sports 3 times per week :)

0 Likes
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

Since I've divorced, and the kids bought their own places, it's just me, the dogs and the cat now. I've been more lonely surrounded by people, than when no one was around. I don't suffer fools or divas easily. Love a good discussion with people sometimes. So forums work well for me. Love looking for new ideas and have a fair few hobbies. So I try not to see it as lonely, but as the freedom to pick who's there and who's not now. 

3 Likes

Exactly how I see it too :) I'd rather be alone than be around people who make me feel alone ;)

2 Likes

It's important for everyone to be able to have 'company' that fits their comfort level. For some that's crowds, for some that's huge chunks of alone-time. I've just about finished 6 weeks holiday and go back to work Monday. I'm actually looking forward to the work interaction. On the crafty front, not many of my physical friends are at my level of craftiness or have a craft-based business. That's why these forums are so important. Many of us sellers are one-person operations and some are in very isolated areas. We need to have a connection to likeminded people, even if it is in the virtual world. 

4 Likes
BlackSackButtons
Conversation Maker

I relish alone time.  I drive with no radio.  I work on my shop in peace.  

My day job job has too much drama and noise.  It drives me crazy.  Opening my Etsy shop was the best thing I’ve done in a long time for my sanity.  I can do everything exactly the way I want (the right way).  There’s no debate, no hurt feelings and no one else to have to depend on.  I just love it.

If I do need a little company or help, I just come here for a little while.  It’s all I need.

1 Like
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

Yes and no.

No because I'm someone who actually enjoys and thrives on what most people would label as isolation; I'm an introvert and get my best energy recharging and my best creativity from not being around other people's energy in-person too much. So rather than feel isolated I feel comfortable.

But at the same time, I do enjoy and get some energy renewal from chosen bits of interaction with others who are pursuing the same things, as we all are here on the Etsy forums:  creating, selling, etc. Which is why the forums are good. You can dip in an out on breaks, choose when and how much to interact without pressure, and get questions answered, give some help too, find support, or just enjoy some chat before going back to the isolation, lol.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.