Covid-19 Support Community

Seems to me that we could use a forum area where we can go to support each other during this global emergency. Possibly calm our fears and offer emotional support and share ideas on how we are each coping. If you choose to participate I can only hope that we will all refrain from sharing unfounded/unsupported information and even provide on-line resources/examples that have historically proven honest and sound... such as, for example, the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) etc. Just thinking out loud here. I need to talk about this sometimes and talking with folks around the world who are "like minded" would be so very valuable. 

My current concern is the lack of physical connection to other humans. We are very social animals and when we are truly alone it is crucial that we recognize that the lack of physical contact can be detrimental to our mental and emotional health. This can compromise our physical health too. Oh dear; here I go finding something more to worry about...

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
357 Replies

Re: Covid-19 Support Community

I agree that the lack of physical contact is detrimental.  I live alone, and my social occasions, (especially contra dancing!) were my only opportunities for physical contact.  (Alas, I have no boyfriend!)  I have to remind myself, several times a day, that loneliness is better than illness and possibly dying.

5 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

hang in there. this won't last forever. things will get back to normal before too long.

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

Good afternoon miss BlueSpruceCrafts:

Vlmkpyae hit it on the head. It is a temporary situation.

I told people at home, "Let us take it as a blizzard week."

There is something to do in order to distract our mind.  For example, let us plan what to do outdoor when the quarantine is over. Go to the store to buy bird seeds and then to the park and feed the birds?

Stay safe.  Take care, Anna from IL.

2 Likes

@Warm. I do hope this thread will be well received. And you're absolutely right...we are social animals. I had a minor melt down last weekend and I was truly comforted by this team. You know who you are.

I would like to hear of experiences/concerns that others are having and how they cope with them. Whether it's empty shelves, stress, loneliness, etc.. Just to be able to voice and feel you're being listened to...and maybe feel better afterwards. E does not have a category for this and this lithium forum probably doesn't allow it. 

I am a Seller for 8 years here and live in Kansas. Blessings are sent to you all.  

2 Likes

I can't imagine that Etsy wouldn't allow us to support each other while we are all engaged with dealing with a National crisis that ultimately impacts our Etsy shops. We need to keep the politics (and any angry exchanges) out and remember that we are all affected while sharing ideas that can help us during hard times.

2 Likes

@Warm do you see a category that E provides that could be used? I don't.

1 Like

Hi SewNsew,

Yup, I see a category (team/thread) right here where we can express our thoughts. I don't think I understood your post about a "category" being unavailable. And what is a lithium forum? Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me. 

1 Like

Hi SewNSew, Yup, I see a category (team/thread) right here where we can express our thoughts. I don't think I understood your post about a "category" being unavailable. Oh, you mean the Etsy Forums... I'm talking about Etsy Teams. And what is a lithium forum? Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me. 

1 Like

@Warm. I mean a category in the Forums in general...not just for the Teams. Lithium forums is what was introduced to replace the old forums as we knew them about a year ago (I think). This type of forum limits what can be discussed and commented on. There are specific categories you can respond to. But even your comments to one of the categories can be deleted if the content seems inappropriate. And that inappropriateness is determined by Lithium as programmed by E. At least, this is the way I understand it to function. It has never been well received because it is so limiting. If anyone else has a better way to explain Lithium please reply and enlighten us all. Blessings.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

lithium hosts both the fora and all the teams.

they don't want human interaction on the fora other than business so they want us all on teams, like this is. there is no place on the main fora for this type of thread to last. here i pinned it so you all can find it easily, it'sat the top of the thread list. hope that helps.

2 Likes

@WarmWeenies Etsy subcontracted the forum to Lithium (a company). Forum categories were redefined to contain only the categories that you see on the main forum which are tighter in content, mostly shop business related. Things that were lost from the old forum were abilities to chat- no chit chat, no discussions, no games or promos, that fall out of the handful of Etsy business categories. Any of the 'other stuff' could be picked up by teams. Many of us didn't join any teams when the former Etsy forum was alive with personal conversation, but now, that type of stuff is relegated to teams. Some chit chat does still occur, but is shut down now and again.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

great idea, warm. i'll pin this thread. no, the fora is not likely to let people have their own support section, they will say take it to the teams, like you just did.

1 Like
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

Warm, Lithium is simply the company that took over the administration of the forums last year (or has it been longer than that?)  Prior to their involvement there was a lot more conversation, crossover, and support in the forums. One didn't have to go off into Teams to be able to offer recipes, or ask for tips about how to train your dog, or just give friendly support to each other.  Now there are Specific Limits of What Can Be Discussed in the Business Forums (sheesh). 

An interesting addendum:  Lithium is the company that was hired to administer the Ebay forums a few years back.  And, for what it's worth, I heard about a lot of Ebay sellers complaining that all the wonderful human contact in the (Ebay) forums was lacking after that.....  (I was not ever active at Ebay so I'm only repeating what I've been told).  

2 Likes

I should have used the word "Teams" not "Forums" in the original post. Oops. But all good as I now have a better understanding, Thanks All.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

this thread will remain pinned as long as needed. everybody can post anything they need to related to this. happy, sad, we will all support each other. 

2 Likes

Thank you... but I don't think we will be using this thread like I thought we would. Maybe down the road, but right now it seems we come to Etsy Teams to think about anything but our current troubles and such serious worries. I'm going to post my problem dealing with the covid-19 crisis and see what happens... give a little fuel to the fire so-to-speak. Watch for it and rock on

1 Like

Smallish 1 story apartment building for seniors and/or disabled persons that offers Government subsidized rent for low income. The building houses mostly seniors but also several mentally and/or physically challenged persons (living alone, self sufficient). The vast majority of renters are "at risk" individuals. They all share a common area to pick up mail and a small, shared laundry room. Management notified residents a couple of weeks ago asking everyone to refrain from having visitors other than health/personal care professionals and to discontinue gathering in the lobby area to visit with each other. The Governor of the State ordered, yesterday, to not leave our homes except for necessary things like doctor visits, grocery shopping etc. Neighbor lady continues to have 1 or 2 cars of people visiting her everyday all through these "orders". In the past the (off-site) building management has not been professionally responsive to concerns and violations of other things... like management charging fees for services not provided. How would you address the issue of a person who allows people not living there to come and go during this crisis? Call building management and listen to their excuses or reasons they are not responsible? Maybe they won't do that and will address the issue. I'd like to know if folks think I am the unreasonable one and need to let this go. I am afraid of the neighbor and nervous about building management brushing me off as a nuisance. I dislike confrontation. I dislike people who have no concern for the wellbeing of others. I need a "voice of reason" to talk me down out of my anxiousness. 

1 Like

@WarmWeenies I can't seem to click on your shop to see where you are located. Maybe the forum is abuzz at the moment. I feel your worry (I'm in NY). If it were me, I would find the local non-emergency police department phone number and ask them what you should do. Perhaps they would contact your building management. It is a very sane observation, and you may save members of that family and other residents by helping to stop these group visits. Best to you- and hope you and yours are well.

3 Likes

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for the response. If you click on my icon and then click on the name of the shop you should be able to get to me. I can see you when I do this. And, oh my, aren't you eclectic!

1 Like

Oops again... I'm in wonderful water winter wonderland Michigan!

1 Like

Hey Girl, NY? I am so sorry your State has been hit so hard with the virus (we see it coming our way too). I think your Governor C. is a real strong character and is doing the absolute best he can and more. He's the kind of person we need... educated, smart, strong, opinionated and really bossy haha. We need leaders like him to stand up to persons who put big business ahead of my 95 year old Mom and my 7 year old grandson. UhOh, getting political here, sorry... couldn't resist. Stay safe. 

4 Likes

Yes- Cuomo is standing tough and strong- I like that guy. When he speaks, I listen. There's some substance in there. You get the real qualities of a leader when the chips are down. Wish I felt that leadership from elsewhere. @WarmWeenies 

4 Likes

@Warm.  I lived in Michigan from 1983 to 2001 (2 weeks after 9/11). Been in Kansas with my entire family every since. I absolutely LOVED Michigan. My daughter and I skated competitively all that time. My daughter visits there about every year for vaca and takes pics of our old home and hooks up with her long lasting friends. To this day she says that is where her real friends are. I miss the trees and overall 'greenery' of M. A chapter of my life that I view with wonderful nostalgia and a smile on my face.

@Elizabeth. New York. Have visited so many times. I do pray you're staying safe as possible. Cuomo...I'll call it like it is...this man belongs in the White House as Head Honcho. That's all I'll say politically I promise.

3 Likes

Oh yes. I did an 8 month long road trip (RVing, dry camping) west and south two winters ago and beat it back to Michigan as soon as I could. Traveled lots of States and met plenty of really great people; but I missed my trees something terrible. Gotta have some tall green to look at, listen to and breath. I didn't go west and north to the woods as I'm afraid to drive the mountains. I know I missed a lot, but dang.. 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.