I'm trying to change my diet, eat less meat, more vegetables/fruits and cutting down salt/msg/sugar/caffeine. I'm careful not to over eat so smaller portion too. It makes me feel good so far and I haven't been missing meat much yet BUT I constantly feel hungry = |  

When I go food shopping now, I try to focus on vegetables/fruits rather than meat like I used to before. Meat used to be the main and vegetables/fruits as a side. Now I try to do it the other way round. 

I'm trying very hard not to drink any coffee, I know once I started drinking one then it will make it even harder not to drink it. 

The other day I had lunch I ordered an omelette instead of the usual fish & chips. I even resisted ordering chips on the side, instead, I ordered salad. The whole meal was cheaper too and it was a nice meal, easier on the stomach, made me feel good. 

I wonder how long I can keep this up, it's not too hard YET since I find it quite fun and different.

Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Re: Changing my diet

I've quit drinking coke for years now, just occasionally have some, maybe a few a year but I find it too sweet now so don't really have a craving for it anymore. If I really fancy a cold drink then it will be orange juice or POM/100% Pomegranate antioxidant =] 

I would like to lose some weight too but I don't have a scale, I can't check and keep track of my weight progress.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like Perrier or San Pellegrino when I need something carbonated.  Grapefruit and lime are usually my choice for flavour.  I'm not sure if this will make it for you in the taste category as these choices are not sweet and are rather bland.  

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Grapefruit and lime - not sweet but they are quite nice. Amazing that we have so many different choices of fruits =]

1 Like

Hi y'all. i'm gonna pin this so it floats to the top of the discussion list as this seems to be of interest to a lot of us. 

I would really love to hear your stories. I lost 40 lbs and gained half of it back...so i'm with all the other human folk.

3 Likes

Wow @designbcb , I did the same thing!  I lost 42 pounds back in 2006 and kept it off until about 2016 and then all of a sudden (it seems) I'm up 20 pounds.  Bound and determined to lose them!  

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Thanks Captain =]

I wonder if I'm losing any weight from changing the diet =O .

1 Like

I have changed my diet recently too.

I don't want to lose weight.  In fact, I need to gain weight.  Most important, I deal with pain issues which can be helped naturally with The Anti-Inflammatory Diet.  It is much like the Ketogenic diet with low carbs, lots of meat & vegetables, herbal teas, and more.  Since I want to gain weight, I eat small portions about 6 times a day.  

I have gained 2 pounds in 3 weeks.  It doesn't sound like much.  But, that's a good thing over a 3 week period as I was stuck at the exact same weight number for years.

There are many people who struggle with their diets - both those trying to gain or lose weight on opposites sides of the spectrum.  For most, we just want to be healthy.

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I drink an anti-inflammatory concoction every morning, usually blueberries, banana, nut butter and cinnamon blended in almond breeze "milk".  I stay away from dairy ( I do have a bit of old cheddar once a week or so) and meat and anything processed.  I feel so much better eating this way.  I'm glad you are finding a healthy way to gain weight :-)

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

So true MixieAndMoxie, we just want to be healthy =]  I really need to keep reminding myself and keep working on it, it's easy to forget and slip back to old habits.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@Former_Member, I've stopped eating ready meal for some time, processed food has too much salt in it, way too salty, very unhealthy,

1 Like

@MixieAndMoxie I tried eating low carb but was gaining weight - so I can see how that would work. When I went back to having carbs my weight dropped and my energy went back up. I generally index my carb/protein consumption to what I'm doing - eat more in the summer when I'm running and riding my bike longer distances, less in the winter, and make sure they're nourishing carbs, though I'll eat white rice and pasta when I feel like it. I eat 4 meals a day, or really 3 meals and a decent snack. Since I've kind of lost interest in food as I've gotten older I really have to pay attention, or I'll go almost a day without anything but breakfast and think "Why am I so tired?" lol

2 Likes

@MixieAndMoxie I mean I can see how that would work for your desire to gain some weight - I c/p'd a chunk out of my post!  A friend of mine had troubles with that - when her weight went down she tended to come down with a lot of colds and struggled with fatigue. She needed to eat regular nourishing meals.  Since I wantd the opposite, to lose 10 lb, it backfired on me. I tried it for a month and one of my coworkers told me to go and eat a potato or something, I was so grouchy.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@chapeaunoir why eat a potato? =O .

0 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This is so encouraging... There are way too many people who don't realize the importance of a GOOD diet. There is too much junk food to distract. Keep up the good work. You can do this...

We've been making small adjustments to our diet for years now... and I can honestly say, we are MUCH better for it. 

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Thanks SingAlongSoap, for the encouragement, I will push myself and work on it =] 

Junk food is a distraction yes, temptations everywhere. I was out and about today, had McDonald's = ( 

1 Like

That's awesome!  Five months ago, the hubs and I went plant based -  no meat, dairy, or eggs.  We went cold turkey (haha) and haven't looked back.  It was an adjustment but I find it so much easier to grocery shop and cook.  I skip entire sections of the store and focus mainly on the produce.  Cooking is so much easier because no matter the combination of grains/veggies/legumes, it always tastes fresh and is very healthy.

We started losing weight immediately, him losing 15 lbs and 12 lbs myself.  We've since plateaued, but I expect to lose more when the weather warms and I commence daily walking and working outside.  We both saw an immediate difference in our sleep - we sleep so much sounder and better, feeling well rested in the morning.  Joint pain has either greatly dimished or disappeared altogether.

Our decision to go plant based was the fact that we have two small grandchildren that we want to have an active presence in their lives - actually playing and running around with them, not just observing from a chair.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner!

4 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'd like to give you two thumbs up!!

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

This is very positive and encouraging, thanks so much for sharing, I need this as I'm slipping a little by day. It's hard, old habits die hard. My stomach is hurting a bit today, think it's the stress too. 

2 Likes

@Former_MemberThank you!

1 Like

@ArtbesicoIt can be very challenging.  One thing I've done is join the Forks Over Knives facebook group.  Forks Over Knives is the documentary that promotes a plant based lifestyle over the traditional SAD (standard American diet) lifestyle.  Just knowing that there are thousands of others who are committed to being healthier and sharing their stories and recipes makes it a bit easier.  Some people are very strict and watch every tiny nutrient.  I just try to stick with the no meat, no dairy, no eggs and honestly, I'm not even tempted by 'regular' food anymore.  I successfully maneuvered my granddaughter's birthday party and did not eat any cake, pizza, or other foods that are not compliant.  I did try some potato chips and they were disgusting to me - tasted just like chemicals.  

It is a daily process and we just try to do our best each day. 

I wish you well on your journey.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@EmmasHeritage, I think receipes/ideas might help =]  Now that I'm buying different food stuff I feel a bit lost what to cook. I've managed to have no meat at all in my evening meal today, had Brussel sprouts with mushroom tortellini. I actually feel good eating less meat and when I do eat a bit of meat now my stomach complains. So I guess it's a good thing, I just need to adjust and get into it more. 

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Netflix has a few good documentaries like Forks over Knives.  

2 Likes

go to a used cookbook store or the library.  there are great cookbooks that can teach you the basics, then you can run from there.  i've learned to modify almost every recipe in my grand mother's better homes and garden cookbook.  (the best and most basic of american cookbooks!)

it should be easy to get vegan pizza.  it's way easy to make at home.  (random vegan find:  garbonzo (chick pea) water meringues. also easy to make at home. they are an amazing cookie.  i marvel that someone even thought to make them in the first place!)

you will continue to enjoy eating and feel good.  the positive influence on the grandkids is great, too.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

I might start looking up online for recipe ideas, for now I'm just focusing on buying more vegetables and fruits rather than meat when I go food shopping =]  I used to buy meat first and then buy some vegetables as add-ons. Now I do it the other way round, vegetables are the main and meat as add-ons =]   

2 Likes

@EmmasHeritage- I ate like that for years when I was bike racing - it's very close to Japanese home cooking so I had a cookbook to work from. It was a good, healthy, inexpensive diet and fresh, and a million variations on everything. Also, I could make a bunch of meals ahead of time. Moosewood Cookbook has a lot of good recipes, too. I here to tell you, that bike racing (and I worked as a bike messenger, too) burns huge amounts of calories and tremendous amounts of energy and I did it until I was 50 years old.  It's a really good way to eat1

Now I'm inspired! I fell off the wagon when I retired from racing and have this stoopid extra 10 lb and kind of OK eating habits, but I think I'll get out my old cookbook again and start making up some yum bean chilie!

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.