Can I still shop on here if I close my shop?

Hello all;

I am thinking of closing up my shop but I still like to buy on Etsy.   How can I do that?    

Thanks

Becky

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies
frighten
Conversation Maker

Re: Can I still shop on here if I close my shop?

Just looked around and could only see how to close your account entirely, which you could do here. 

https://www.etsy.com/your/account?ref=hdr_user_menu

But since it appears that you want to keep your account and close your shop, I googled it and came up with this. 

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1303&bih=706&ei=7sxpXN6hPMji_AbOzoJo&q=how+to+close+an+etsy+shop&o...

Another option, and what I have done with my other shop, is just let listings expire and put a note in the annoucement so people can find this shop. 

0 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Yep, that's what I would do, just let the listings expire.  I wouldn't close the account.

Best wishes,

0 Likes

you can buy as a guest....

0 Likes

A couple questions come to mind based on the recent experiences here with all the uncertainty surrounding the financial environment.

1) If we simply let our listings expire rather than closing a shop completely, doesn't that leave us more vulnerable to Etsy withdrawing funds from any bank accounts or credit cards on record here, or can we delete our bank and credit information while keeping an empty, unclosed shop?

2) If we feel the need to let listings expire / close up shop as a seller due to a lack of trust surrounding how personal finances can be affected by Etsy, does it really make sense to stay on and trust Etsy as a buyer? Even as a guest?

P.S. It makes me very sad to even feel the need to ask these questions, having been here on Etsy for 10 years.

0 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

Good questions.  To be perfectly honest I hadn't thought of these, but I really should have.  

In a similar vein, years ago my buyer account was hacked on eBay and a scammer used the account to sell laptops from another country.  eBay closed the account and I haven't opened another one.  I still make occasional purchases on eBay as a guest without issue and without any worries about hackers, knock wood.

Maybe the guest purchase idea of Designbcb's is the best answer after all.

Best wishes,

1 Like

I've been meaning to close my shop anyway.  I was not selling and it was just becoming where Etsy was making all the money with the fees and I wasn't selling anything.     I really do like to shop on etsy though so that is why I was wondering about how one buys without a shop.  Still, I think even as a guest wouldn't you need a credit card number or could one just delete all that information after they purchase the item.   

1 Like
frighten
Conversation Maker

@CountryDreaming I don't think you can remove the credit card or banking info now that you mention it unless you close the shop. As a buyer only account, one would think it wouldn't be required to keep a card or bank on file. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.