Buying A Box Of Food

So have you seen all the ads on tv, mailers from post office about these Food Boxes you buy then you cook. Why on earth would you buy one of these boxes ? For the money they cost you could buy a fairly good supply of groceries. For me the main problem is the cooking and then cleaning up. Why not get delivery from a restaurant with food ready to eat--no major clean-up not even dishes! The ads show all family members looking at the food as if they never saw food before! They look like cats wanting to jump into an empty box. Not my cup of tea!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
25 Replies
frighten
Conversation Maker

Re: Buying A Box Of Food

Do you mean when they portion the ingredients for you and all you have to do is cook it or follow the recipe. For a minute I thought you were talking about doomsday prepper foods which is usually freeze dried and enough to last for years. 

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

I've seen those things and I agree with you.  I say, for the money they want, they should send someone to wash the dishes afterwards.

5 Likes

@GielDesigns If they washed the dishes after dinner it might be worth it! Lol

2 Likes
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Yes, Moira, my feelings exactly.  So you can imagine my surprise when my niece told me she and her husband buy them all the time.  What I REALLY don't understand is once you get one of the boxes, then why not just copy down the ingredients and recipe and duplicate them yourself.  BTW, I offered to ship boxes to my niece  - heck, I'll even drop them off - if she'll pay me what she pays them. (My grandmother, who used to cook 3 meals for 12 people every day, is probably spinning in her grave.)

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

You brought old memories to me... 5 kids, 4 foster kids, mother-in-law and husband serving in the military overseas.

So, cooking at home was like been a restaurant chef...

Many times, I set a couple of crock pots in the morning for the family dinner, or at night to put the meal in a thermo

for the kid's lunch next day. No, I did not like the school cafeteria, I always prepared their lunches.

0 Likes

What is weird is Wall Street types were investing in these companies.  The big one, I forget its name, is now in bankruptcy. I guess everyone agreed with us - that it was nonsense 

1 Like
frighten
Conversation Maker

I'm way too cheap and broke to do something like that. I rarely even get take out. I guess it's for people that are really busy. 

5 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I hear ya.  I'm guessing it's for the trendy types who buy $10 coffees.

Best wishes,

2 Likes

It's a novelty item for people with lots of time and money, in my opinion.  As for me, I do my shopping very carefully using clip out coupons, online coupons, and sales to keep my food bill affordable.  I have time (but not the money!).

Geri

2 Likes

I prefer to pick my own groceries... I hate the idea of someone else thinking they know what I want! ;{

3 Likes

i called seattle sutton's healthy eating once - she actually answered the phone - and i just wanted to know if i could get lunch. it was when i was still in corporate and that would have been convenient. I couldn't

then lookng into these other companies just for kicks - goodness, gracious. what they want to feed one person, I can spend in groceries and feed both of us.

I went shopping the other day:

1 ib deli style turkey, 1lb american cheese, 3lb  pork roast, bread, shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms - one or two things i don't remember and it was less than $30 and that's enough to make lunch everyday and two dinners for four people.

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

I never understood it either but i guess for busy people it may work for them.

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

My husband says, "The TV dinners -frozen meals- are still cheap and available."

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@SwissZahlerArt 

Sounds like you have a sensible husband. Lol!

0 Likes

I enjoy grocery shopping & cooking too much to ever want to consider something like that. It's always confused me as well. Granted I have a lot of free time these days, but even when I didn't, I've never failed to enjoy these things.

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think this service is aimed at 20 - 30 year olds that take their lifestyle cues from marketing / advertising. 

Why are people so busy that they can't find 40 minutes per week to grocery shop?  Don't they still have to shop for meat that's needed to prepare these recipes?  Also, the internet is full of recipes and meal ideas.  

IDK, maybe I'm old and don't get it, lol.

2 Likes

I get my groceries delivered now that I can’t drive anymore. Easy Peasy and costs $7.95

0 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

There was a news report about this matter some time ago. The reporters did a comparison between the different companies which offer this service and the ingredient prices at the supermarkets. Yes, it is still cheaper to buy at the supermarket.

0 Likes

I got one of those boxes for free. It wasn’t worth the price. Lol! The chicken was green abd warm and the veggies were rotten. It went into the trash. I had wanted to try it and now I know. I don’t eat meat but my family does so I got 2 servings of the chicken meal and 2 of the veggie meal. It all went straight into the trash. Don’t even bother. I complained but since it was free all they did was offer me another free box to which I said no thank you.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

A friend used to order an organic box of veggies/ fruits. It was always a mystery box that she got depending on what was in season. She liked it but it was too much food for just her so she cancelled it.

0 Likes

I used to teach at a local college, and one thing I discovered about my 20-something students:  they had their own apartment and their own car, but they had no idea how to shop for food. They didn’t know how to choose meat or produce, didn’t even know how to find a decent loaf of bread. And they were too lost in a grocery store to even ask questions.

So I can see that they might want a box of food chosen by someone else. But they also did not know how to cook. I mean, not anything. Not scrambled eggs or any simple meal. Most of them said they could microwave a box of macaroni and cheese, and that’s about it. So those boxes of food with instructions would not do them any good, because they didn’t know how to slice the produce or brown the meat or boil the water. 

Mostly they just bought fast food, which is an expensive way to eat, not to mention the quality of the food. SMH. 

0 Likes

Just some food for thought - yes, it would be cheaper to buy the ingredients and make them yourself.  BUT - if you want to try a recipe for something interesting and different, you don't know if you'll like it or want to cook it again, and here you have all these specialized ingredients sitting around and possibly going to waste.  At least with the recipe boxes - there is all you need for one recipe, and that's it!

True story from college - a friend had his first tiny apartment, and was working his way through college - REFUSED to take out any loans.  This is the sweetest, most honest, and down-to-earth person you will ever meet!  He limited himself to about $10 a week for groceries for himself (this is in the 80's) - one loaf of bread, 1 package of bologna, that type of thing - whatever he bought was perfectly calculated to last him all week!  

He saw a recipe printed on a box of Minute Rice that he wanted to try, but it had all these ingredients, like soy sauce and ginger and water chestnuts.  So each week, he would buy one of the ingredients for this recipe, if he had extra  $$ to spare.  It took him a couple of months, and then he splurged and made this Oriental-ish dish and had his friends over.  Served on Minute Rice, of course.  He was so proud to serve his first meal in his first apartment!! 

3 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

@PillowDetails and then his guests were like "are these water chestnuts from last year"? lol. My "too broke to buy food" dish was spaghetti and butter. 

3 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

" Too broke to buy food" ! Yeah mine was Top Ramen to which I added mushrooms, any fresh veggies I had on hand, and firm tofu.

This was before we found out how bad the powered flavor mix in the box  was.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.