X People Have This In Their Cart

Is this just a ploy by Etsy to get us to use their money off coupon emails?  The reason I ask is that twice today I have viewed my shop whilst logged out and incognito.  The first time, there were loads of items which various people apparently had in their carts, however, the second time, a few hours later, virtually no-one had anything in their carts, so how can this be?  Personally, I am sceptical of the whole thing and think it's just another money spinner for Etsy.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies

Re: X People Have This In Their Cart

@BoudoirPrive When I view your shop I do see items that say they are in someone's cart.  It's possible it's a test that varies by account still. At one point I only saw listings in my shop indicate it was in the cart if 3 or more people had it in the cart, and now I see even if one person has it in their cart.  I think Etsy is still testing out what works best.

0 Likes

@BoudoirPrive    We have to figure out all these things by ouselves...test, test, test....and we never get a score for figuring things out.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

0 Likes

Hi there

All is well this end and I hope all is well with you too.

0 Likes
SusySewandSew
Conversation Maker

They are intended for buyers not sellers.  It is to create a sense of urgency and encourage them to buy.

It seems Etsy does clear the carts every so often.

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

That's my take on it too.

1 Like

Re: X People Have This I by n Their Cart

I think this can sometimes be counter productive; I've had potential buyers message me and ask if I'll let them know if the sale doesn't go through. They're not aware they can purchase even if it's in someone's cart. 

I expect there are many more who think the same but don't get in touch with the seller. 

0 Likes

I suspect it might be, I notice every time a listing sells it will show an additional user has it in their cart. I dont think they do though. but I can't be sure

0 Likes

Thank you everyone for your views on this and I appreciate that it's a way of creating some modicum of urgency with sellers.  However, the number of items in people's carts was so vastly different the two times I looked, that I can't help thinking it's just a random thing that Etsy does and is totally meaningless in reality.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.