BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

What are your thoughts about the removal of Stand Alone PayPal?

Just got that email from Etsy today.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: What are your thoughts about the removal of Stand Alone PayPal?

I'm a wee bit concerned, to be honest.  There have been several times when I debated integrating just because it would be easier to have everything on the finances page, but....then on cue there would be some issue with finances that made me happy I had kept them separate. I'm hoping all goes well, but I think this is bad timing on their part.  I feel they really need to gain everyone's confidence again by having nothing go wrong for a substantial period of time before they force everyone to integrate.   

2 Likes

I'm with you, Felt.  I remember a couple of years ago when Etsy payments were screwed up for the entire month of July.  I was able to turn everything off except my Paypal and keep my shop open.  Next time we'll all be screwed while Etsy putzes around.  I'm not confident at all.

3 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

I integrated before, when they did the EP and have had no issues. If I still want to purchase using PayPal my debit card is connected to it and it will come from my checking account anyway.

0 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

I believe it will be harder for non US sellers, as the prices will be more than paypal is and if they have currency conversions too. This doesn't seem fair to all of them either.

2 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

I like my standalone paypal but it's really not that big a deal to me to integrate.  My concern is Etsy's customer service.  It's terrible, yet they claim "we’re here to help you and your customers find a resolution if anything goes wrong."  I just don't believe that.

2 Likes

I kind of wonder if they didn’t decide to do this because of PayPal announcing their new policy stating that they won’t be refunding your transaction fees when you refund a customer. 

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Pricing-and-Finance/paypal-new-policy-fees-won-t-be-refunded-to-seller...

0 Likes

Etsy does what is best and most profitable for Etsy.  I don't think for a minute that it's because of customer support or anything that will benefit Sellers. For me - meh, my "free money" will diminish, I'll do less impulse shopping - mostly on Etsy.  But for those with business capital loans, and currency conversion rate issues - it's going to hurt.  I guess most of us knew this was coming.

What's next, I wonder?  I hear there is a shipping label prototype/test Team - what could that be about?  Also mumblings about forced free shipping.

3 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

My thoughts are go with the flow and I am surprised it took them this long to take this action.

1 Like

its not just etsy - alot of major venues like ebay are leaving paypal. Paypal is really unfair to sellers and forces a refund even when you can proove you sent the item. And now they aren't refunding the payment fees if you issue a refund so if it were me and my business I would say sionara aswell.

everyone is crying foul and I'm just sitting here like "here we go again" .....its always something on here. If its not the new payment system its the black stars. Now it's paypal. 

does any remember the upset in the forums a year or two ago when **GASP** the paypal logo suddenly looked a bit different and everyone was all "omg my customers are going to get confused" I remember asking whats the big deal and had like 5 people freak out on me. seriously?? do you think your customers are that dumb?? im sure they will figure it out. and they did :) 

it will be fine everyone. Don't assume the worst before it happens. 

0 Likes

I hadn’t even heard of this. I looked in Etsy Forum announcements, and I couldn’t find it there either. Maybe they are notifying only folks who still have stand-alone. 

0 Likes
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

The only reason I kept stand alone PP was memories of the year the old form of Etsy payments totally died and the only way anyone could buy anything was through PP. The most recent issues with people getting outrageous bills by mistake doesn't help with having a lot of trust in how Etsy handles money. The letter gave a date by which they will automatically make the change, so I'll change right before that. I do not trust they will be able to do that correctly. I like having money available in PayPal so I can stop at random estate sales and use shop revenue for inventory purchases. But I can just move it over from my bank account. Not so convenient, but do-able.

2 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@BlingAndBijou 

"The letter gave a date by which they will automatically make the change, so I'll change right before that."

That recent billing fiasco makes me feel the same way.  I'll switch it myself before the change next month.  Somehow, I just don't trust that the mass conversion will go smoothly.

0 Likes

I do not like much of what Etsy does.........but I am here for now.  I have two shops..  I try to stay as independent as I can... And I loved PayPal...still do!  I am concerned about rumors of forcing us to do Etsy labels...now that would be a move they best not take. Or forcing Free shipping!!!!  Good to know this little team exsists!  Thanks......

0 Likes
lowe40
Crafty Poster

Again, I kept SA PP because of etsys pmt system having issues, & the recent overbilling situation has done NOTHING to make me anymore confident in it OR Etsy!

if I have do it, I will. I may do the same thing I did when forced to take EP against my will........ take a few wks time off & let my shop be on forced vacay.........just because........

call it a “silent protest”, if you will. 

Theyre going to do what they want, reguardless of what we say. 

I already use Etsy labels so if the “force” it on us, no big deal to me, but if they force “free shipping” on us, that may be the end for me, although, realistically, it serves no purpose since they already get fees on shipping & sale price. eBay encourages free shipping, but still leaves it to your choice. 

0 Likes

If I'm being honest.. I'm surprised it took this long

0 Likes
MaliakeiBags
Conversation Maker

My thoughts about the removal of standalone PayPal are.. Etsy should have given sellers the option, not limit us. Since the force over to integrated PayPal, there have been NO buyers using the PayPal method in my Etsy shop. My only PayPal buyers have been from craft fairs.

0 Likes
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

The move was completely in line with the new Etsy, so no surprise.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.