Is handmade a category?

What's your definition of handmade and does it play a part in defining your craft, skill, creative outlet etc... from other similar products that are massed produced.

I am curious because I was listening to an interview with Josh Silverman and his vision of a future Etsy & his interpretation of handmade the other day online. I do not think many would agree with his interpretation of it not deserving its own category that the only thing buyers are thinking of is cutting out the middleman and buying directly from the creator that no one really wakes up and says I want to buy a handmade blanket.

I myself collect many different vintage items and some of those items I collect are valued more because they were handmade during the time period and not produced on a mass scale.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Is a handmade a category?

@JustBCre8tive   I think handmade should be a category....The time and effort that goes into creating something unique is special. Yes, I buy my boxes, only because it is not cost effective to make my own (beside the fact power tools and I do not get along) but what I design for that box, the cutting of tiny pieces of fabrics, the placing of all said pieces to make a design....is handmade.  A handmade category will also separate us from those customers that are looking for mass produced and "altered" items...simply my thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Is a handmade a category?

HappyBoxing, I completely agree with your thoughts. When I started Etsy, I was inspired by many different aspects of the community handmade being one of them. 

0 Likes

Re: Is handmade a category?

I was inspired at the beginning also....wow, so much has changed, the definition of being handmade included.......long live those of us who see the world of creativity in our own way.

1 Like

I would hate to see "handmade" disappear completely from Etsy and would dearly love to see it be strengthened.  It's been pretty diluted at this point, though.  I see what HappyBoxing doing is akin to using the box like a painter uses a canvas.  It is transformed.  It might be possible to bring handmade back.  (Where there's a will there's a way... but that depends on what Etsy wills.)  The current corporate mindset is geared to the fastest, most efficient way to rake in the bucks---  re-sellers, slave labor in third work nations, factories -- what ever it takes.

I've fantasized that Etsy might have a handmade Gallery of artists and artisans...

1 Like

I know my buyers appreciate handmade or they would not purchase from me. There are plenty shops making what I make but in large scale. Their items all look the same, same design same type of beads all personalized and cheaply produced and priced. I wont go that route, 1.) I'm a hobby shop and 2.) I would get extremely bored if I could not create and design. It saddens me to see that the CEO has a vision that is not compatible with being artisan made or handcrafted. Sounds to me that he does not realize the cost of handmaking items. He also speaks out the arse for what is  momentarily needed for the company. Two years ago in an interview he talked about purchasing a $85 belt for $29 and that sellers should raise there prices accordingly.   

1 Like
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

It should be, really. Not everything just lumped together. But the problem may be defining handmade.

I don't have the sheep that makes the wool I use. So is my item really handmade? Or that brooch, as you bought the supplies for it to make it.

It's not as easy a question as it first appears to be.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.