lowe40
Crafty Poster

Re: Do you have Osteroarthritis? What do you do for the pain?

If ur dr will write a scrip for colchicine, diamondback pharmacy in AZ or NM fills them much cheaper. 

I own Chinese shar pei dogs & one of their inherited diseases needs treatment w/colchicine. That’s where a lot of pei owners order from since it’s much more reasonable than other places who carry it. There’s also another pharmacy in I believe Norwood NJ or their name is Norwood & their in NJ. Their prices are much lower than regular pharmacies but I’m not sure which of the 2 is cheaper. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

I have chronic pain. I swim. I am not so much a water exercise class person. I do laps. I find that it is a wonderful meditation time as well as great pain control. No racing or splashy kicking - just an easy flow up and down. But I think the water exercise helps, too, from what I hear. I did yoga for a while, and still do a little in the winter when the sidewalks are too icy to walk. But that is added to swimming. I do take non-opiod pain control meds too, but they definately don't work as well if I don't get my swim in.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Thank you Bling and Bijou- What non opiods do you take? Aleeve?

0 Likes
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

@Lionfishvintage they are prescription meds. I moved past the OTC stuff years ago. 

1 Like
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

I was just gently reminded by my sweet service dog that I forgot to mention that hugging and petting her helps with the pain, too. I highly recommend hugging a dog (or a cat or a bunny) if the pain is bringing tears to your eyes. That is the best med! 

4 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Awww! Furbabies are the best!

1 Like

Aleve - sparingly.  Also never stop moving.  Just keep moving.

I agree with petting fur-babies, and also playing with children, if you can!

3 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

I was very humbled last week. Out for a walk, slow as I was. Trying to get back to normal.

Saw a woman with 2 canes, barely able to make a step. She was walking down the street with her dog. WOW! what an inspiration.

We talked a bit. Saw her again on the same street yesterday as we were both walking again.

I had to tell her she as an inspiration to me . Asked her if she had arthritis as well and she told me it was rhuemetoid . Born with it.

And yet there she was , out in the cold , with 2 canes.  What a great lady.

2 Likes

I haven't read the other replies yet but had to answer.  I also have problems with my right knee and sometimes my back.  I'm going to see an orthopedist next week and I'm going to ask for an Rx for PT.  As for pain I've been doing a combination of things....I take Curamin (on Amazon) for inflammation, knee exercises & stretches and will wear pain patches. 

My pain goes up & down but this is a very concerning topic for me.

ETA:  A motivating factor for is is going to Fl in April to visit my mother.  I will go with my brother and we plan on going to Disney for a few days.  I have to be able to walk around the parks and hope all of my work exercising and eating better pays off!

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Hi Diane! I've got to get some of  those patches. I bought some dollar store knock offs but they were junk, hard to peel off and too small.

Thanks for your recommnedation. Hope your trip to FL  goes well in April.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Hi PixieRiver!

I'm not sure. I have been taking them -but now that the weather is warmer here , my OA doesn't act up much so ...

Did it ever upset your stomach? I can't remember if you personally take them every day or just when it acts up?

0 Likes

I take 3 every day - 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening -

@Lionfishvintage wrote:

Hi PixieRiver!

I'm not sure. I have been taking them -but now that the weather is warmer here , my OA doesn't act up much so ...

Did it ever upset your stomach? I can't remember if you personally take them every day or just when it acts up?

0 Likes

I take 2 in the morning when I get up and one in the evening. I'm pretty sure that it needs to remain constant in your system to have the best results because I can tell the difference when I've run out for a few days. I've never had it upset my stomach.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Thanks. I've been taking 1 am 1 lunchtime & 1 after dinner. I will try taking 2 after breakfast instead of 1!

I'm glad it works for you :)

0 Likes
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

My grandmother suffered for years with her hands. They were so painful she couldn't even hold a cup of coffee or do dishes. She would cry at night and nothing worked. But she tried acupuncher and after a few sessions her hands were better. She could actually hold her coffe cup again. She was so proud of that simple thing. She carried on for quite awhile, but then was silly enough to tell her doctor what she was doing.

He called it voodoo. Then got together with other local doctors and had the practice shut down. She went back to suffering because of him. Her and many others. I taught me that if it works, it works. Always try to be open minded.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Teddyrose- What a bunch of #$@*!$%* those Drs. were! I am so sorry she was in so much pain. 

0 Likes

Inversion table - anyone use one?  My husband did somthing to his back a couple weeks ago, and a friend loaned us his inversion table that he swears by.  My husband really likes it, says it gives immediate, although temporary relief.  I've tried a couple of times - I think I have a hard time relaxing enough for it to do any good - I'll have to get used to it.

1 Like

Sorry for your pain, Lionfish. I have both Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. The RA is different so mine is treated with injectible meds to try to keep the beast in the cage. But for the Osteo pain I find that heat and Tylenol Arthritis Extended Release is helpful. If you have inflammatory arthritis then you do need to address that issue, but if it's straight osteo then you have other options. Everyone is different, and you've gotten alot of advice, but try a few different things to see what works for you specifically. Of course, there's no stopping the damage but we can lower the pain levels to get some better sleep at night.  Good luck ;)

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

OnTheBend- must be a hard challenge to have to deal with osteo and R.A. at the same time.

Thanks for  your feeback!

0 Likes
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

Lion I'm so sorry that you're in pain.  I mentioned earlier that I have psoriatic and osteo.  One thing I've tried that seems to help a lot are wraps, and braces from a company called Back On Track.  

I learned about them because they make horse products (I have a horse).  They sell human and dog stuff too.  The shirts, blankets, and wraps have some kind of ceramic fibers that hold in body heat and the compression helps with arthritic joints.

I have the lap blanket, wrist wrap, and the shawl that I wear all the time.  They seem to help a lot.  The products are a little on the expensive side, but the last.  I've had the shawl and lap blanket for at least 5 years.  As long as you are careful about not putting them in the dryer, they will be fine.

Just wanted to let you know they were out there :-)

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Choc Rabbit- Thanks! It's not as bad as some of the other people who have posted here. 

I'm going to look into Back On Track! 

I live in horse country and theres a feed n tack store near me. I will see if they have any of the products you mentioned.

1 Like
DonnaDesigned
Conversation Maker

I have osteo arthritis in my knees, the right being the worst.  I am allergic to arthritis medication and to fragrance.  Essential oils have given me a rash.  At it's worst the doctor had me taking a mega dose of ibuprofen.  And I used Blue Emu.  Those two got it under control and I went from using a cane to not needing one.  I rarely use either now.

I have for years taken turmeric (I also have back pain due to having fractured vertabrae in my back) and I drink ginger tea every morning.  My doctor also has me taking more Vitamin D than I was initially.  

About a year ago I begain drinking water with a scoop of collagen and a little lemon juice (for flavor) in the morning.  I now very rarely have pain in my knees.  I also think the collagen has helped my fingernails and skin.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

DonnaDesigned- That is so great that you got it under control! Thanks for sharing your experience.

0 Likes
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

@Iowe40 I think you might mean Wedgewood pharmacy?  They are in NJ, actually pretty close to me across the river.  They sell pet meds.  

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.