Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Do you have Osteroarthritis? What do you do for the pain?

Nothing works for me.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
48 Replies
AtMemoryLane
Conversation Maker

Re: Do you have Osteroarthritis? What do you do for the pain?

Sorry, I do not have osteo, but I do have RA. 

I use a solution of 1 ounce jojoba oil and 12 drops of ginger essential oil.  Sometimes, I switch this up with the 1 oz of jojoba oil and 9 drops of ginger essential oil and 5 drops of orange essential oil. I prefer the first solution to the second one.  You rub these solutions into the affected areas.  The only caveat to using the essential oils is to make sure that they are 100% pure and from a reputable source.  

Before I used these, I would use the solonpas pads.  I do not use the solopas pads anymore.

For my hands, I use a pair of those magnetic gloves, but you have to make sure that you get a size that is small enough for you for this to do any good.

I hope these help.  I know, it is not osteo but the pain is the same.  Arthritis is the pits!

2 Likes

I've been using salonpas patches.  Thanks for the tip on the essential oils...I will give them a try!

1 Like

I have had two hip replacements and one revision surgery and also have repetitive motion pain in my hands. I've been taking turmeric capsules with ginger daily for almost two years and I have very little pain and stiffness now and rarely take any OTC pain relievers anymore. My doc says its a great thing if it works for me. I think it's a little miracle.

5 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

PixieRiver- Wow that is amazing! That's wonderful to read that it helped you.

So it worked for your hip pain as well? I can't imagine having it in my hands. Must've been very difficult for you.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

PixieRiver- did you buy a brand that had both the tumeric and ginger in it combined?

How much did you take every day? Certain brand? Thanks for any info.

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

PixieRiver- I got some tumeric / ginger caps yesterday . I have a good feeling about it! thanks again for the suggestion.

1 Like

I also take turmeric as well as Curamin tablets.  (I take both) They are a form of turamic.  I should  look into takeing giner as well.

1 Like
DonnaDesigned
Conversation Maker

Interesting... I take turmeric every evening and I drink ginger tea every morning.  I also take a scoop of collagen in water with a little lemon juice in the morning.  I very seldom have pain now.  I was atributing it to the collagen since it was after I started drinking that that the pain subsided.  Blue Emu also seemed to help when I was having pain in my knee daily.

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

AtMemoryLane- Thank you for that information. I will have to try this. It's in my hips.

Did the salonpas pads work too?

0 Likes

@Lionfishvintage, I use the Nature's Nutrition brand - "Turmeric and Ginger with Bioperine" 1950 mg - 180 capsules. This is a 60 day supply at $22 from Amazon and I take 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening (mostly because I would forget in the middle of the day). I think it took a week or so to start making a difference, so be patient:)

2 Likes
AtMemoryLane
Conversation Maker

LionFish, Yes the Salonopas worked just fine.  I was very happy with them.

1 Like

@Lionfishvintage Salonpas patches really do feel good.  They help with pain but don't really take it away.

1 Like
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

I have osteo and psoriatic arthritis.  The tips of my fingers swell up.  I used to get steroid injections in my last finger joint.  Hurt like heck, but it helped for several months at a time.  I also use arthritis gloves, which really don't help much, but they keep my hands warm.

I've been trying to cut way back on sugar and gluten, which seems to help a bit.  I should give up dairy too but I love cheese too much. Other than that it's Vitamin I (ibuprofen).  

So sorry that you have to deal with arthitis - it totally sucks.  I used to make dollhouse miniatures but had to stop because of the pain.  Sending a gentle hug!!

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Chocolate Rabbit- Thank you and so sorry you had to quit making your minis. I can't imagine having that kind of pain in the hands.

I won't give up my dairy either. Vitamin I - funny! I  I've been using Aleeve but it doesn't seem to do much.

Hugs back to you as well.

1 Like

I have arthritis in my back & hands.

My doctor has me on Vitamin D 50,000 units once a week along with an NSAID (diclofenac) which is an anti-inflammatory drug.  Do they help?  Maybe.

Temporary relief for me is to lay on a heating pad.  You can find ones that automatically turn off in 1-2 hours so you don't need to worry about burn in case you fall asleep.

I have been talking to a couple of friends who started The Anti-Inflammatory Diet much like what @chocolaterabbit mentioned above.  Both said they are feeling better with diet changes!!  Woo-hooo!  My project today is to research to see what I need to eliminate & what to add to my diet.  Then, I'll make a shopping list.

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Pixieriver- Thank you!

0 Likes

@Lionfishvintage I was just wondering if you were seeing any good results from the Turmeric. I'm hoping that it's helping you feel better!

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Thanks PixieRiver! And thanks to everyone  :)

I love this team

1 Like
lowe40
Crafty Poster

I have bad OA in both knees. Replacement is getting closer & closer. 

I use salonpas also, & I get a roll on cream called GREEN CREAM from a place in wilmot Ohio. Place is called amazing creams & lotions. You can  google them. I was up there this past summer & my knees were killing me so I got a small sample size container to try. Put it on my knee after we got back to the hotel & it smelled good, kinda minty, & it gets just a tad warm but it goes away quickly. I sat & read like I usually do in the evening, had to go potty, got up, went to the bath room & wasn’t till I was sitting there that I realized my knees hadn’t hurt & I was able to get up & walk w/o any issues! 

I get hyalgon shots in my knees every 6 mo & on the alternating 6 mo I get cortisone shots to supplement the  Hyalgon. Makes it tolerable, along w/Celebrex, tramadol & Tylenol. Some days are pretty bad, some days are not as bad. I’ve got to get back to water aerobics, that seems to help some too

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Thank you for sharing your experience ! I will look into Green Cream .

My knees are o.k. it.s my hips. i could barely stand up.

My new dr. sent me a video of what to do for low back pain but the video doesnt say 1 thing about arthritis. I don't think he is listening to me.

0 Likes
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

Ouch, I'm so sorry you have knee problems!  That's got to be the worst.  

I'm going to look up the green cream.  I'm willing to give anything a shot!  I get Orencia IVs once per month but I have to skip this month to have wrist surgery.  Everything has started creaking again.

Arthritis sucks!  Sending a hug!!

1 Like

My Rheumatologist has me on Meloxicam, Colchicine (which will no longer be covered my insurance soon), and Allopurinol.  I'm also dealing with Gout flares (Gout is an ugly name for an ugly pain!).  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!  Ice packs are good friends...

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Hi HattieOlivia- Thank you for your insight. Gout sounds very painful as well as R.A. So sorry you have to deal with this.

0 Likes
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

@shirley26298 oh no!  Gout is awful!!  Sending a warm hug, people who have arthritis deserve all of the hugs!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.