Former_Member
Not applicable

Why am I not selling more?

I love, love, love ETSY. The sellers and buyers are so much more expressive in their art. They are lovely to talk with. I just need to know if I can do anything to boost my sales. I'm a stay at home mommy with a special needs child. What I make on Etsy.com goes towards fun and donations to AUTISMSPEAKS.COM. Great cause for awesome kids. Any advise on how to sell more?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
49 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why am I not selling more?

I wish I knew... Things have been not so great in my shop the past month or so... It's very frustrating. :(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Things have been slow for us as well. I think like a physical store front away from the net , there is a season. I think when spring hits buyers winter blues will go away and they will start buying more. We , not only here but in our physical shop have been encountering indifferent people and they just aren't buying much.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for inviting me to join. The only wisdom I have to add is that..I joined Etsy.com 3 years ago. Started selling without really researching all that etsy has to offer. Check out the Etsy community. There are blogs posted to help you with everything from photos, pricing, marketing ( key words) and trending . I had no idea these things were so important. I made so many mistakes in all areas mention. I lost heart when I had worked so hard and believe in what I do. I love vintage and love sharing it. I sold a leather dress to a lady in Denmark. She paid $30.00 for it. It cost me $40.00 to ship it there ( my fault I didn't research prices) and then she didn't like it and left me bad feedback. I ruined all my work right away. I had described the wear on the leather. But Etsy let her do it so I was hurt. Then another lady bought a set of jewelry I described as worn but useful for something. She too left me bad feedback..so I quit Etsy for a year and a half. Now I am back. I love vintage..I love taking photo and I decided to get to know you all better. Research other sites that have similar products. What makes them work. What makes you want to buy from someone. And Lastly God Bless you for your work to Autism Speaks. I am a single mom also with a special needs child. He is now 18 and drive his own car. We have survived no support or contact with his dad, My breast cancer when he was four, my recovery from Alcohol for over 21 years and life in the public school system. We are survivors and have lots to offer through our craft. Don't get discouraged. Its " One day at a Time" ! Now go mingle..and have fun!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wish there was a miracle answer and we would all be rich LOL Getting your name out there is a continuing process. That is a huge thing. People can't just walk in off the street.

Excellent pictures is another. And that dreaded relevancy. I continue to work on all this. My customers so far absolutely love my work, but unless people can find me in that large web world it doesn't matter.

Just continue to work on these items and hang in there.

When I do send an item, I put in a thank you card and my business card and one business card that offers 15% off a future purchase. I just keep at it.

It has been slow in general I think. My views are way down.
0 Likes
tropicalcottage
Inspiration Seeker

I think business in general is slow this time of year for everyone and not just Etsy . I have been selling on Etsy for 4 yrs now and I can pretty much count on a lag in sales from Jan-Mar. People are broke from Christmas and property and Income tax time.
0 Likes

Thanks for the comment guys I was thinking about closing my shop because I have only made one sale in 7 months. I will keep on trying to make changes to see if I can make some sales.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with everything said above. But we have also found locally that there were few buyers at the local craft fairs. Things are tough economically - here in the UK it is reckoned that 14 shops are closing every day. I guess the thing is not to take it personally and to keep trying different things. One thing I wondered about was tags but I think I'll start a different thread re this. Take care.
0 Likes

Hi Everyone - especially Bunny
Don`t take things to heart. People try it on - no matter what walk of life.
When I was letting out holiday property somebody said it was dirty and of course it wasn`t but they got money back from the company who was advertising it so I lost out. Then I had two -people who said they never got their parcels from Ebay - I said I had the proof of posting and I never heard from them again. Some people are chancers - only a small percentage thank goodness - most of us see the good in people and that makes our lives the more richer . I suppose you have to feel sorry for these people who love to WIN over their fellow man.
God Bless
0 Likes

I wish I knew also. As of last years removal of the Time Machine features my business has become very slow. And it just seems our shops are not easily accessible with new relevancy searches. I just cannot change my tags every day so my items end up on page 50. What to do?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

hi everyone! I'm in so many circles and joined a few teams and still can't sell,if you could visit my shop and give me some points to improve it ,thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have taken my avatar, which is my basket of yarn and fabric and that is what I use across all sites. It is my banner, my avatar, it is on my business cards, thank you cards, my blog and my FB page. I think it is necessary for people to start to know your brand. For people who use their photos, I would say find a pic you like of something that relates to your shop and start using that everywhere.

It just takes time. I just heard from a customer that bought two of my pillows and it sounds like she might buy two more. Just keep at it. When you send an item out, make sure you enclose a business card or two. I offer a 15% discount on a return order. I also send a thank you card.

People don't get this kind of treatment from those big box stores. You need to show then it is much more pleasant to purchase with you!

Don't give up. I have only sold 7 items, but I have not become discouraged. I just keep at it.

List your items on all the free advertising sites that you can.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh one other thing, really proof read your descriptions. Check for misspelled words and grammar errors. You would be surprised how this can affect your sales.
0 Likes

Hi everyone! I just joined the team yesterday and I'm very excited about it. I opened my shop the end of Oct. 2011. My sales also dropped in January. I just think it's a bad time for everyone after the holiday. Just hang in there and hopefully sales will get better now that people are getting tax money back! Also want to add that, this is new to me and if anyone has time to send me a convo about how to post pictures in these forums, I would really appreciate it. I tried earlier today to put a picture in the (something pink) and it did not work out. Thanks so much for inviting me to the team!!!! Vicki
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been reading all the answers and it sure helps me. yes, I am discouraged, a lot of work went into my products and nothing seems to sell. well I cant say nothing because I have had a few sales. but I have tired the circles and such, I am in a lot of them now, but they dont seem to fav any of my items beyond the day that they added me. I go in every day and browse and fav items that I like and dont really see any return in my time!

I have just spent the last 4 hours proofing my listing again and checking my spelling and grammer and such. now to see if it works! but I still have a long way to go. that and figuring out the tags and such also.

yes, I am still new to this, I have only been opend since end of Nov. and learning something new everyday. but I seem to spend more time on this computer than sewing!

Cathy
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

ok, I just proofed my answer and boy did my fingers get crossed again! I try to proof everytime before I hit reply and still miss some! So sorry for the spelling errors and lack of Caps! again!

Cathy
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cathy you have some nice items. I opened in Sept of 11 and have sold 7 items. You opened in Nov and have sold 5 so I don't think you should worry. It is not like people can walk in off the street. Just have patience.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree we just have to keep trying. All the best, Louise
0 Likes

We have spurts of sales. I have found to really use all of your tags. This teams helps to bring people to our shop. Try anything and everything! Have to say..Etsy is such a great site for the crafter!! Glad to be apart of Etsy and the Crazy Advertiser Team..Thanks for the invite!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've had 10 sales since December so its not like I'm an expert at all but this takes patience and work!

Pictures are of the utmost importance. Take a look at my shop and you'll see I use pretty much the same grey background for everything. This creates a cohesive look. I have tons of competition as a knitter so I have to make things that are unique.

I worked as a music therapist at a center school in FL before moving this summer to Atlanta. That was the most fun at work I've ever had. Good luck to you!
0 Likes

I list items every one or two Days I have been doing great sens I started doing that and put lots of people in your Favorites and circle!
Hope you do great with your shop!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm sure you are right Jamin, basically it's like a shop that keeps changing its window so you make a point of walking past to see whats in.

Louise
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've been enlightened by reading here. I primarily make cake topper dolls. I have 4 sales so far. Any advice for my shop?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I wanted to make sure that I had "favorited" your shops and added you to my circle before I posted. I appreciate the frank discussions. I'm glad that I saw these posts. I keep remembering that I do love creating...that helps "most" of the time. :~} Other times, it's a little more challenging. Everything that I've read today is very encouraging!

I tend to shop almost exclusively on Etsy, so I do check back or refer to others when I have the opportunity. Best to you all! Marion :~}

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I guess with baby doll you have to keep your eye on what the fashion is in special occasion cakes and then make toppers to match. I know that a shop I have got lavender from in the past did well with their confetti after being featured in a magazine.

Thank you Marion. I think you are right that we have to also remember that we enjoy making things and have atleast one project which we are doing just for us.

Best wishes,
Louise
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.