How do I display my plushes safe from the dog?

My boyfriend's mini dachshund loves to chew up plushes. Even though he has plenty of his own, he will go after mine if they are in reach. Cheeky little devil. =P

Currently my plushes are packed away in red plastic bins I got from WalMart. They're in the storage unit right now but when boyfriend and I move out at the end of this year, I'm hoping to be able to bring the plushes back in to our home and have them out where I can see them and enjoy having them. So far my only idea I have is shelving that have glass doors on them. Of course they have to be black. :) No other colour will do. Unfortunately, it seems to be quite the expensive way to go. All the ones I found seem to be well out of my price range and would require me to save money for probably a year at least (after I'm done saving my half of the money for us to move out).

So...Is there some other way I can have my plushes out on display but in some way that the little stinker-I mean dachshund, won't be able to get access to the plushes to chew them up? Or will my only route be the shelves with glass doors?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: How do I display my plushes safe from the dog?

I would recommend storing them in in a high cupboard or shelf. I remember when I had to baby-proof my house when I had little ones, so the same principal applies to a furry friend :) Up high where they can't reach is your best bet!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dealing with a mischievous dog is like dealing with a baby. Everything must be out of reach.

The other alternative would be to try training the dog to play with only his OWN toys and to leave everything else alone.
0 Likes

Check your local Craigslist for a piece of furniture that will work for you. I love to give used items a new home. :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

curio cabinet? I searched Etsy for Curio and some really cute ideas popped up, could be painted black. Especially if you have miniatures.
0 Likes

I didn't realize that etsy had so many listed here when I searched for curio cabinets. Interesting! Maybe I'll nose around there a while more to get more ideas or even find one I could buy. Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, you could check out ikea. I don't know the price range but I know that the Billy bookcase has some options for glass doors. The Besta range has glass doors too and Expedit (my favorite because I like squares and it's free standing) now has inserts with glass doors. If you have an Ikea near-by you could check out the sales area they have with used or slightly damaged furniture. Where I live they have an Expedit standing around almost every single time. It's still not a cheap option, but maybe within your price range.

Another thing I could imagine working is some sort of netting hanging from the ceiling.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Or, I just remembered this, I once saw photographs where a girl stored her plush toys in large, wide mouthed canning jars that could be closed with screw tops. A bit like the Bonsai Kitten hoax that was going around a few years back. I don't know how large your plushes are but if they aren't too large this could be a fun and cheap way to display them 'behind glass'.
0 Likes

Laralara -
Do you have any photos of that? I'm having a little trouble picturing it to see if it would be an option.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So sorry OP, I didn't follow this thread after I posted and missed your question. Magdalena was kind enough to provide a photo. That's about the method I meant, except the girl I know uses jars that are larger than the stuffed toys (or rather, her toys are smaller) and they don't have this 'preserved animals' look going on ;-)
Instead of jars I guess you could also use clear plastic containers (plexiglass or an other kind of plastic that looks like glass), they probably come in more varied sizes. Or maybe you could use an aquarium/terrarium? You can often get them for cheap used and after a good scrubbing they are fine.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.