Former_Member
Not applicable

Discs: to buy or cut?

Hello all! I'm new to the team which was recommended for me to join in search of an answer to this question: Should I shell out the money to buy a disc cutter for my stamped jewelry business?

I have been buying sterling silver discs from one vendor who has decently low pricing. But with the price of silver going up, I've been looking at options to keep my costs down. Which brings me to the Swanstrom Disc Cutter (retails $265)...because if you're going to do it, you may as well do it right, right? :)

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be a huge savings to cut your own sterling silver discs except that (as I've been told) you can salvage more pieces. It looks like it may save money as I venture into other metals such as copper.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Discs: to buy or cut?

You can get a Pepe disc cutter for about 100$ less, and it's still awesome. It's cheaper to make your own because you pay less for sheet than finished discs, and you can recycle your scrap.
0 Likes
halfmoonroad
Inspiration Seeker

I've heard good things about the Pepe....just bought one myself.

One of the advantages of cutting your own discs is you can cut different sizes as you need them.
0 Likes

No amount of advice will replace a little cost analysis. Get the price of a sheet of silver in the gauge that you normally use (pick a size like 2"x6"). Figure out how many disks you can cut from that sheet, keeping in mind that you need a little space between the disks. Now, figure out how much it will cost you to purchase that same number of disks pre-cut. Calculate the difference between the pre-cut disks and the sterling sheet. Divide $265 by that number and you can figure out your break-even point, the point at which you've saved enough money by cutting your own disks to have paid for the cutter.

Keep in mind that you can recycle the scrap sterling for 90% at G&S Gold or Midwest Refineries, and that having the cutter gives you the flexibility to offer thicker gauge disks or other sizes if a customer requests such. You can pre-sand and -polish the entire sheet at once, which is much easier than doing one disk at a time, so that's a time saver :-)

Also, if you get the Swanstrom, you can pick up these little goodies that allow you to make sterling ring washers, which could also be used to expand your design line.

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetname=112524&page=GRID&free_text=swanstrom

Do some research on the Pepe vs the Swanstrom. This is one of those cases where you buy the best tool that you can possibly afford.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i have the Pepe from years ago. but i'm in love w/ the sandstrom, i love that you can center and cut out washers... i definitely would go w/ the sandstrom if i was buying today...
the pepe can be hard to pull up to insert the sheet, sometimes it really fights lifting up.
rio grande has a video of the sandstrom at work, take alook at that...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I've really taken it all to heart. I guess I need to do some math! ha ha

It looks like I could even make a little profit on some of the other metals such as copper or nickel. Is that what you guys have found?

And what exactly does it mean when it's "de-burred and tumbled?" Are those more supplies to get?

Oh, it's so good to have access to people who know so much about this stuff. :)
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

I'm spoiled and I have a few magnetic tumblers to deburr and put a matte like finish on my discs. They have small sizes too and although it's a hefty investment, to me, very worthwhile.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ok, what do you you guys think about tumblers?
0 Likes
PangaeaDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Gotta have a tumbler!! And yes, no matter how many tools you buy, there will always be something else you want/need. LOL Just be sure to consider that when you price your items--the tools are part of your business and your prices need to cover that in addition to supplies and labor.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i see de-burring wasn't answered, that is the roughness along the edge after you stamp out the disc. and drill the hole through the disc.. my no tool way to smooth is to tape down sandpaper to my desktop and slide the disc back/forth on the sandpaper to smooth it out.
i have an inexpensive 2 barrel Harbor freight tumbler, other than a belt breaking it has never given me any trouble. i think lortone is the more expensive tumbler many folks use.
order stainless steel shot in mixed shapes to use in tumbler...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You guys are awesome! I'm practically sweating as I complete this order for the cutter and metal. Do you use the urethane pad?
0 Likes
PangaeaDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Scary, I know! As for the urethane pad, you mean the round rubbery thingy that holds the cutter and dies? If so, yes I keep my stored on that. Don't forget some Cut Lube and use it for every cut!
0 Likes

Now I want one! I need to do the math too, to see if cutting my own discs works out better price wise.

As far as the tumbler goes, you will love it!!! You still have to do your finish polishing before you tumble, but it really gives an awesome shine and work hardens the silver. I have 2 double barrel Lortone ones, and they are awesome when I want to really crank out inventory before the holidays.
0 Likes
PangaeaDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Last Christmas season I was wishing I had the double barrel. Two doubles would be even better!
0 Likes

when doing your math, don't forget to account for all the time it will take you to cut, debur, etc.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.