Analiese
Crafty Poster

Best Glue for Metal on Metal??

I am trying to stay away from the 2 part epoxy glues, and was wondering if the E6000 Jewelry glue would work for gluing metal to metal. It is only a small magnet to a bottle cap.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Best Glue for Metal on Metal??

E6000 is great for metal on metal. You can buy sample sizes here on Etsy if you just want a little bit.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=e6000%20sample&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ
0 Likes
Analiese
Crafty Poster

Thanks Karen - I saw the small tubes at Micheal's today - but wanted to wait to get some advice :)
0 Likes

Why not use a 2 part epoxy?
0 Likes
Analiese
Crafty Poster

Linda - I only need a little tiny drop, and I would rather use something that is quick and easy and not a lot of mess. I also heard that you need to use the epoxy in a well ventilated area, so I am a little nervous about the fumes.
0 Likes

E6000 holds great if you're gluing metal to metal. Squirts right out of the tube - no muss. Be sure to wipe the threads and put the cap right back on so that you have fluid glue for the next next time.
0 Likes

If you are concerned about fumes, E6000 is definitely not a good choice.

330 epoxy has only a very slight odor and I never really notice that when using it in lapidary. You wouldn't have to be precise in amounts or mixing, and it's OK if the tube threads aren't wiped that well.

Just roughen the surfaces of the magnets and bottle caps with a couple of quick strokes on sandpaper. 330 has a working time of 15 minutes and hardens in about 2 hours, with max strength overnight. Or you can fully cure it in 10 minutes under a 100W bulb at around 6 inches.
0 Likes

I just went to our state fair and there is a glue called, "last glue". I watched a demonstration and its amazing. Very expensive, $25 but it doesn't dry out in bottle, after applied it dries instantly. They sell a solvent that is the only way to remove it. You can read the reviews about it online. I'm going to get some and try it out.
0 Likes
Analiese
Crafty Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Leanne - that glue sounds great. Might be worth the price. I have used the E6000 before and found it to be messy and smelly, but I was hoping that if I bought the smaller tube specifically for jewelry, that has the precision tip, it might be better.
0 Likes

Make sure you use the E6000 near fresh air too! Or you will find yourself feeling a bit dizzy while you gently sway back and forth humming "We all live in a yellow submarine".... and sadly I speak from experience.
Open a window ;)
0 Likes

I have used E-6000 for 20 years and love it.

Quick tip;
Apply a small amount to both pieces and wait until it is quite tacky. This may take from 5 minutes to 20 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. Then press the two halves together. Let it cure for a full day. Don't mess with the piece. Leave it alone

You can apply the E-6000 outside and just check for tackiness in a few minutes. When quite tacky, it has very little smell.

I have bonded almost all non-porous materials together with E-6000 and have had no failures when following the above procedures.

Trust me on the above advice.

Les ♥

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.