Hildiie
Inspiration Seeker

what to do with bad reviews

Hi Guys,

Im a small maker based in the u.k. I recently got a bad review on one of the items on my page. I have under 40 sales in the past five years, this one bad review has affected my rating. I have tried to reach out and message the customer offering a refund or to re design the item and take into account the areas that need to be improved. the customer has not responded at all in the last few months. I have been working on some items i have been really excited about recently and i want to start putting my items on etsy again buti feel like my brand will be affected by this review. i dont know how to solve this bad review. can i make a new shop or will this review be tied to my account? 

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
6 Replies

Re: what to do with bad reviews

@Hildiie  That review is from Feb of 2023 - over a year ago.  So once you are back open and receive  your next review, hopefully a 5-star - that will show as your yearly average.

If you decide to make a new shop, this review will not follow you, no worries.

3 Likes

The longer you have a shop, the more likely you will have a less than great review.  It's all a part of selling here. As a buyer I don't base my decision on one review. Keep going and put it behind you! Opening another shop won't solve anything.

3 Likes

so I see no sales in this shop and only a single item listed.

also the shop isn't complete. So, I'm thinking that this could be a new shop?

If you have more than 1, you do need to disclose it. Otherwise (????)

1 Like
rarefinds4u
Conversation Maker

I agree with all that was said above.  You need to put the review behind you and move on.  To gain traction in your shop once again I would complete your shop as advised and then list a new item daily.  By doing this you will be visible to a wider audience versus listing a bunch of items in one day.  Once you start selling, new reviews will come in and burry the bad review increasing your rating.  If you are still able to I would respond the the negative review and state that you offered a full refund or redesign and received no response.  Lastly I would learn from the negative response - do you need to redesign your item? was it a single flaw in materials ect.

Good luck to you

2 Likes

Hi Surnai,

• the number of review stars displayed in a shop is an average of the last 12 months. Since the 1 star review is from almost 14 months ago, it is not counted in your average

•because you have no reviews in the last 12 months, your shop does not display any current feedback rating

•best course of action would be to make new sales and receive new feedback

• one star reviews are inevitable; it is illogical to make a new shop each time it happens. but if you did, no, the old feedback is not carried over.

2 Likes
FrameTowne
Conversation Maker

Everyone has good advice here, just a thought, honestly with just one product there, it wouldn't be a big deal at all to open a new store, I now some said not to, but it doesn't look like it would be a big deal to do in this case.  That said, yes, if you sell online you WILL get one star reviews here and there, even if you do everything right.  From reviews you lean things, someone else mentioned above, maybe it's a way to figure out how to fix an issue with your product, at any rate, answering a review factually and unemotionally and speaking to future buyers can actually be very effective as a kind of "antidote."  Also I wanted to say, you really need to get your policies in place, and possibly a nice banner.  I think if it was my shop, I would actually make a new one in this case.  Just my thoughts.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.