wedding item

Hi

This site is _saying technical which it isn't. 

I just got an order for $336. -taxes $17.00 Fees $34 . My balance is $281.

So now I will have to cover shipping, which I did not include free shipping.

There adminstrative fees are just ridiculous.

What is the point listing and selling on Esty with the fees they charge.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
18 Replies
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Re: wedding item

If you look at your payment account you can see the breakdown of fees.  You don't get the $17.00 tax.  that is remitted by etsy.  Did you have other outstanding fees, like listing fees, ads, etc?  Did the sale come from an off site ad?  Only you can decide if the fees are too high for you to make money.

0 Likes

Oh gee, hmmm... it really could be a technical problem aka bug on the apps for cellphones. It's useful for messages, I don't use it for processing orders.

0 Likes

i didnt subscribe to offsite ads and i dont make enough to be forced onto those ads

0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Did you look at your payment account to see if an off site ad was charged?  The icon for that is a megaphone.

0 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

You don't subscribe to offsite ads you are auto enrolled, you need to unenroll, Etsy enrolls everyone.

1 Like

@NancysHandmadeDecor 

You are automatically subscribed to Offsite Ads unless you specifically opted out of them.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

You need to opt out of offsite ads

0 Likes

Thank you

0 Likes

That’s only 9.88% in fees, there must be other charges on your payment account.  You need to opt out of offsite ads, you are automatically enrolled when you register with Etsy.

1 Like

Good to know

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

@NancysHandmadeDecor  Just as an FYI ... you have ZERO seller protection with orders totaling more than $250 (including tax & shipping)!  IF something bad should happen, the buyer can file a case against you and Etsy will hold you ultimately responsible for reimbursing your buyer by charging your CC on file ... and the buyer gets to keep the item (yep, they do not have to return it to you!).  You can read about it here @ https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/purchase-protection-program-for-sellers/34509585385?ref=list

0 Likes

Wow it doesn't seem right

0 Likes

Are you running etsy ads? Are you on a payment reserve (new shops often are).

As stated earlier, you have to look in your Payment Account and check the breakdown of fees. Etsy takes out anything you owe before sending you your money

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Order total $336, that figure includes $17 in tax which Etsy ADDS to the purchase price, and then removes after the payment is processed.  They send the tax to the appropriate tax office, it is not part of your income, nor is it an expense for you.  This means your actual sale total was $319.  Payment processing fees are taken off the top by the processor  (3% plus 20c), then Etsy's transaction fees (6.5%) come off.  On a $319 sale the math would go like this.

Sale amount $319

Payment processing fee of $9.77 leaves $309.23

Transaction fee of $21.84 leaves $ 287.39

The rest ( looks like $6.39)  is most likely down to listing fees incurred when you first set up your shop and any additional listings aded since, which are charged to your Payment Account, and come out of sale funds as they occur.  

As for free shipping, shipping is NOT free, someone has to pay.  If you set your listings with free shipping, the buyer doesn't see a shipping charge.  You need to factor the cost of shipping into the pricing so there are no nasty surprises.  Etsy will not pay for the shipping, that is on you.

0 Likes

I appreciate the feed back

0 Likes

@NancysHandmadeDecor: There are quite a few free tools / spreadsheets out there to help you price your items based on your costs, your time, Etsy fees, etc. Perhaps using one of those will help prevent any bottom line surprises when you make a sale.

0 Likes

"What is the point listing and selling on Esty with the fees they charge."

The fees are disclosed before selling so that you can price your items accordingly. 

Ignore the tax. That is a wash. That was not part of your listing price and should not be considered when looking at the fee breakdown. Unless that is part of the Canada GST/HST. I don't know anything about it (besides that it exists and have seen Canadians post about it), but as a Canadian, if this is something that comes out of your amount, then that's part of the research you need to do so you're aware of what to expect and can plan your pricing accordingly. 

If the item had free shipping but you didn't factor that cost into your price, then that's a mistake you made. If you charged for shipping but didn't realize that Etsy was going to take 10% of the entire sale and that ate away at what you expected to receive towards shipping, then that's a mistake you made. I made mistakes in the beginning and lost money when I either underestimated what the fees or actual shipping costs would be. The difference is that I never blamed Etsy for my lack of knowledge. 

It doesn't matter what Etsy's fees are if you aren't taking costs into consideration when determining your pricing. I know that if I want to receive $10 for an item, then I can't price it at $10. I have to price it at least $12 plus shipping. If I want $100 for an item, then I need to price it at $115-120. Because remember, the general fees are around 10%, but that 10% increases with a higher sale, so charging an additional 10% won't actually cover it, you have to consider what 10% will be on the inflated amount. 

But your first statement was right, this isn't a technical issue. If you posted here because that's the only category you can post in, that's a separate issue going on and there are other posts where you can see how they are getting it resolved so you have access to the whole forums. Last I knew the mods had to fix something within the accounts, but not sure if there's working on a mass fix or just those who speak out and identify they have that issue. 

2 Likes
After9Marbles
Conversation Maker

More importantly your order is over $250 you have ZERO seller protection. So assume that you are doing all the work and providing the materials for free if the buyer complains about anything. They will be instantly refunded. I would not recommend completing the order. Sad to say but this is not the platform for sales over $250 if you cant afford to lose the money and items. Know the rules before you play the game. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.