cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've just noticed that Etsy has added a suggested " goes well with these items from my shop " to a number of items/listings in my jewellery shop. Problem is they don't pair/ well at all. I've also noticed this in a number of other shops as well. I thought it might be something that Etsy added to my listing that I could at least edit, but I can't find it anywhere. It looks very tacky and inappropriate. Any suggestions as to how I can edit or delete this? I've heard now from "Etsy Forums" that a lot a shops are having issues with this new Etsy "feature". The first time I noticed it was this week when I purchased an item on Etsy for myself. I purchased a piece of Indigenous art from a seller and one of the suggested paired items add ons was a set of vintage taxi key chains. I thought this very tacky of the seller to set something like this up at the time - that was until the next day, I discovered that my shop was automatically doing the same thing. Etsy has assumed that it can suggest any random piece of jewellery goes together. Not so at all. All of my jewellery is one of a kind. Where I think it is appropriate to suggest pieces complement each other, I do it in the descriptions and add links and photos in the descriptions in a professional manner. Please tell me, and the many other Etsy Shop owners who don't want this OPTION  how to get rid of this. I even got a negative/comment regarding this from one of my regular customers. 

Vintageables
Conversation Maker

Re: very inappropriate suggested " goes well with these items from my shop " notice to buy

@ThePlayfulNeedle-- OMG, I wasn't even thinking about that!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

Re: very inappropriate suggested " goes well with these items from my shop " notice to buy

Todays completely random selection of "goes well with..."

White/Blue/Red/Green Flannel Mob Cap with White Lace Trim

and

Vintage Black Cocktail Dress

WTF - I can't even...

5 Likes
BirdsongEmporium
Conversation Maker

LOL I know it is funny not funny @MissPussinBoots  but that combination gives quite the visual image. This new thing of Etsy's is just quite laughably awful.

4 Likes
HbarNCraftworks
Conversation Maker

It's a randomly generated match up of items in your shop for a reason.
In shops that offer free shipping above $35, lower priced items are paired up in that space with a banner that says "Buy together to qualify for free shipping!" or something to that effect. 
If that doesn't apply to you, there still has to be something in that space because all of the templates are the same.

0 Likes

That shipping combo doesn't apply to my shop. I have Free Shipping on all items in my shop and I don't have any items under $100. Read on it gets worse with some more examples from other shops. 

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

In my other shop where I DO have things that actually GO together, this morning I find they have suggested pairing an antique floral design gold bangle with red coral and sterling silver southwestern earrings. 

To quote Moon Zappa "Gag me with a spoon".

Or was that someone in Clueless who said that?
I don't remember.

3 Likes

I would love this feature if it paired a blouse that goes with a skirt, a scarf that goes with a coat, or a bracelet in the same style as a pair of earrings. I have many hundreds of items and can certainly find a great add-on myself for anything in my shops.

Instead - it suggests a bold 90s football t-shirt is the perfect add-on for a pastel 1950s lace party dress!! What??

I feel like the add-ons are actually the most different than can possibly be, as if the AI were searching for "the opposite of this" in its recommendations!

4 Likes

@MorningGlorious  :  Perhaps they have implemented ALOI (artificial lack of intelligence).

11 Likes

I have seen the staple of all closets The little black dress paired with blue checked bloomers vintage ones.  

3 Likes
BirdsongEmporium
Conversation Maker

Ah where is Regretsy of something like it. These combinations would be something to see put out there in an article about them.

4 Likes
Vintageables
Conversation Maker

@SilverSeasDesigns -- I've noticed the same sometimes totally idiotic suggestions of a companion piece, such as denim gaucho pants with a precious floor-length evening gown.  WTH?  Nothing you, the seller can do except eave a note on each listing that it wasn't you coming up with these stupid combinations.  To interfere in a seller's listings with these tacky companion suggestions how about providing better customer service instead of coming up with these totally stupid and unusable ideas?

3 Likes

I'm late to the party on this one, as I've only just seen it in a shop.  Great idea if the pieces chosen actually work with the main item, but not if they don't.  I believe it's called 'up selling' and I have this option on my own website and use it where possible.  However, the difference is that I get to choose which items work well together, not the website deveopers.

0 Likes

I've noticed that this feature is gone from my shop and other shops I've seen it in. Hopefully, they've removed it for good or at the very least; taken our feedback on board and are improving it so that we get to choose what gets featured or that the algorithms pick better selections. One can hope.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.