spam after every listing

Jump to solution

I am getting spam every time I publish a new listing. Sometimes it is even before I publish - when I have a new listing in preview. I diligently put them all in my spam folder but it doesn't make any difference. Since 29 March, I have 9 spam from the same bot called Helper wanting me to click a QR code. Does Etsy have reliable spam filters? This stuff shouldn't be getting through.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

Re: spam after every listing

Jump to solution

Etsy does not have reliable spam filters and can't seem to implement them so you'll be a target for scammers for a while. 

If the scammers are one person or group, they may eventually move on when they see you aren't going to be falling for their scam.  If it's multiple people or groups, you might be a target until you have a number of sales (not sure what that number would be) and don't look like a new shop. 

It's annoying but you'll have to just power through it because it's been going on for something like 6-9 months now and etsy can't get them under control for whatever reason.  Etsy has made some efforts to stop them but it looks like what they've tried has failed to stop the scams and also created new issues with the messaging system.

The good news is you aren't falling for them and have the ability to spot these as scams.  There have been a lot of new shops that got caught up in these scams which is another reason they persist here.    

View solution in original post

3 Likes
19 Replies

Jump to solution

All you can do is keep putting it in spam. About 3 weeks ago messages started to go to spam automatically so I am guessing they are working on it. Just make sure to check your spam folder at least once a day as some customer messages have ended up in there.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

CryzalisDesigns, thanks! I'll just keep doing that.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Block the sender

0 Likes
FeltOnTheFly
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

You can’t block people from sending messages…. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It is my fervent hope that people who give advice here actually know what they are talking about.

It is so frustrating to see the same incorrect advice continually given to people who are new to the site from those who have been here for years

Blocking only stops people from following favorites. It does not stop messages.

Send every spam message to spam.

If enough people do this, then the spam account will be closed.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

there is a block button but all it does is prevent someone from following your shop and being automatically notified of new items or sales.

or one can mark a message as Spam. which does not actually block a message, but should route future messages directly to spam

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Same here, it's dreadful. When listing on eBay one never gets these spammy scammers. Etsy needs to tighten up their cyber security.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

Got the same right after listing.

0 Likes
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy does not have reliable spam filters and can't seem to implement them so you'll be a target for scammers for a while. 

If the scammers are one person or group, they may eventually move on when they see you aren't going to be falling for their scam.  If it's multiple people or groups, you might be a target until you have a number of sales (not sure what that number would be) and don't look like a new shop. 

It's annoying but you'll have to just power through it because it's been going on for something like 6-9 months now and etsy can't get them under control for whatever reason.  Etsy has made some efforts to stop them but it looks like what they've tried has failed to stop the scams and also created new issues with the messaging system.

The good news is you aren't falling for them and have the ability to spot these as scams.  There have been a lot of new shops that got caught up in these scams which is another reason they persist here.    

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you. Very sensible advice.

0 Likes
ShoutandWhisper
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I checked the traffic on my Google Analytics, and my second largest audience is out of Lagos, Nigeria. I suppose this might be the source? I also noticed that the links from a "Etsy Helper" (fake) account has UK in the URL, and my Google analytics shows traffic from London. I wish I could block everything from other countries than USA and Canada. Do you know if I can?

1 Like

Jump to solution

@ShoutandWhisper You can limit the Countries you sell to, but you cannot limit the Countries your Shop can be viewed from.

PS: What is wrong with Australia? LOL

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Do you have a license to use the word "Eurovision" in each and every of our items? 

If not, you're infringing IP, which is against Etsy TOU.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

The topic of this OP is "Spam" and the category is "Technical Issues"

I do not believe the OP asked for a Shop critique?

3 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

If you do not own the rights to European Song Contest (Eurovision) you cannot use the word.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I do not believe the OP asked for a Shop critique?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I have the same thing happening to me.  Mine end up in my Spam folder though.  I've been deleting them as well since customer messages are also ending up in Spam...

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I encounter the same thing. I try my best to avoid clicking it. 

0 Likes
DebbieLawlerArt
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I've been having the exact same experience. Immediately after I put up a new posting I get spammed. I feel like Etsy isn't working to deal with it. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.