"Compose" message button disappeared in "Messages" glitch

Jump to solution

"Compose" message button disappeared in "Messages."  I can still send message in other ways/places.  Anyone else notice this glitch?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EtsyForumsTeam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: "Compose" message button disappeared in "Messages" glitch

Jump to solution

Hello all,

As part of our ongoing efforts to keep our marketplace and our users safe, we recently made some updates to limit how messages are initiated, which helps us prevent members from receiving unsolicited or unwanted messages.

Etsy Messages is intended for buyers and sellers to communicate with one another about potential or existing orders. As a reminder, as a seller, you are always able to communicate with your buyers via the message feature on your Orders & Shipping page. You can read more about communicating with buyers here.

View solution in original post

14 Likes
55 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Mine is still there using my desktop.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't see it either!   I guess that's one way to keep people from sending unwanted messages.  This would make it so you could only reply, or send messages to people who have purchased from you.  

Probably just a glitch, though.

(Using Edge on a desktop.)

1 Like

Jump to solution

Mine is still showing as well

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Maybe it's a browser issue. Try a different one. It's working on Safari.

2 Likes
GoddessSwag
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I just noticed this too!!  Mine is totally gone as well.  Hopefully a glitch!! Doesn't make any sense to remove that - its how we communicate with buyers/sellers

1 Like

Jump to solution

We are using Safari and the compose button in messages is missing in our account also. Just happened. We had to go into the order page to send a message which then linked back to messages. But if the communication does not involve an order, how do you respond to a message?! No way to reply.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@LostCoastPebbles" ...which then linked back to messages." In theory, any Message you send which is not a Help Request is going to be appended to the default Message thread with that account anyway - regardless of where you send it from.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I cannot see the message button. It was there just 2 days ago, but now it is gone.

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I don't think I've ever seen a 'compose' button on Etsy anywhere. I just go to the conversation I need to reply to and click on it - then the edit box appears with a 'Send' button below it. Or I go to the order and click on the envelope icon to create a new message. (Edited to say: this is on desktop - I don't use the App)

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I just checked on my desktop. In the top right corner of my messages there is a 'compose' button (I'd never noticed either, since I'm normally either responding to a message, or clicking the 'message seller' through a shop; and after clicking it to see how it worked I'm even more confused on how to enter a recipient). 

1 Like

Jump to solution

The "compose" message button still isn't there.  I'm on a desktop using Chrome.  I've tried other browsers.  And I'm just unable to contact some people because of it...

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I looked at mine, and it is there.

Have you sent a lot of messages lately?

This may be part of an experiment to curb the inane amount of fraud on Etsy, like limiting the number of new messages a user can send a day? Just a guess.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I agree, this may be a test to attempt to curb the spam if that's how it's being created. 

I'm also confused as to why you wouldn't be able to contact someone because of this. It's only one way to create a message.

Inside every profile (both buyers and sellers) there should be an envelope looking icon to message them. Top right of the screen, next to the button to 'follow'. 

Just editing to say I now see another post where some people are only seeing the 'follow' and no longer seeing the envelope. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@PlatypusDream @audreytherese I completely agree that something needs to be done about the AI/spam problem.  But getting rid of sending new messages is a very strange test.  Effective, I guess as no one could start a message...

I checked to see how many messages I sent before it disappeared.  I had 2 messages.  So, I doubt that would be considered a "red flag."

I let Etsy Support know.  So, maybe I'll find out more when they respond in a few more days.

3 Likes
FeltFunky
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Not seeing it in Chrome on my tablet.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I showed the envelope earlier today in the personal profiles, and now it's gone in all browsers. The 'compose' button that I also had in my messages inbox earlier today is also gone. 

They're definitely working on something behind the scenes.... could maybe be related to why some people also had blank pages?

Fingers crossed it's an attempt to thwart the scammers, but hopefully it's been thought out and doesn't come with more problems than it causes (Etsy is not known for the programming skills or seamless integrations of new programs)

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I can still message a seller through their shop. And I can still reply if a buyer reaches out to me first. But I can not just message someone like I could previously.

Again, as long as there's no major issues with this implementation, I'm so far ok with this change.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a reason why I would need to reach out to someone that does not have a shop and has not contacted me first. Not only can this possibly stop the scammers from sending out messages, it may prevent the shops that send spam messages (like sending coupons to people that have favorited them, for example). 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

A few hours ago we had the <compose> button on our Messages page and now it is gone so it may be that this has been a rolling change affecting different shops at different times.

1 Like
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@audreytherese 

"Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a reason why I would need to reach out to someone that does not have a shop and has not contacted me first. "

I think it was one of the software hangovers from the era when Etsy tried to be social media for crafters and vintage, with buyers chatting to each other.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

2 Likes

Jump to solution

"Fingers crossed it's an attempt to thwart the scammers, but hopefully it's been thought out and doesn't come with more problems than it causes (Etsy is not known for the programming skills or seamless integrations of new programs). "

@audreytherese we can hope...

0 Likes
FeltFunky
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

There was a report about Etsy scams on a TV programme tonight, and apparently they had spoken to Etsy (or a scammer!), who said they are doing their best to prevent all these scams, although they are not at fault.

1 Like

Jump to solution

This is the reply I received from Etsy:

[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 2 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"As of the moment, we do not have any reported incidents like this"

I call BS. They're actively making a change, they just haven't told the support chat bots this yet. 

6 Likes

Jump to solution

I noticed message button is gone when you click on a person who has favored something, it used to be in upper right next to "follow" (it was to the left of follow.....     tech told me to log out of my account, and get rid of cookies then wait 25 minutes and log back in....it MIGHT help.    

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.