problem with page or scam? need some help

Hi , 

My store is new and I havent got any sales , I keep on getting messages in my inbox like this :[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.] Now I don't understand what should i do, asm i loosing sales or what? 

Has anybody encountered a issue like this, I will really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
23 Replies

Re: problem with page or scam? need some help

@DigitalMustHaves2022 

That's a scam. Shoppers absolutely do not need your email address to make a purchase. Mark the message as spam and go about your day. 

If they sent you screenshots of etsy pages saying otherwise those are fake pages they created for their scam. See this thread for more info and links to photos of the fake pages.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

Etsy also recently updated this help center page with some helpful info https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Spam-and-Suspicious-Messages?segm...

1 Like

Thanks I also got this message from Etsy or someone posing as Etsy staff :[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.] Now I am totally new to this so dont know what to do?

0 Likes

@DigitalMustHaves2022 

Yeah that's a scam too. Is it in the 'from etsy' folder in your etsy messages? If not then it's not from etsy. Mark that one as spam too. 

1 Like

Oh and also pretty sure etsy order #'s are currently 10 digits long so that fake order number doesnt even have enough numbers.

1 Like
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

There are dozens of these posts daily. 

All of it is scams. Do not engage and put the messages into the spam folder.

And look up the anti-scam info posted here by Etsy.

No one needs your email, CC or bank account number to make a purchase.

You will see on your dashboard when you make a sale. 

2 Likes

thanks 

Thanks I also got this message from Etsy or someone posing as Etsy staff :Dear user, your item has just been purchased by a customer.
[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

Now I am totally new to this so dont know what to do?

I s there any solution?

0 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

It's all scams, read my post above. 

When you make a sale, you will see a little red dot next to orders on your dashboard, page left, this dot will have a number in it which denotes the number of sales you had.

There is no solution other than you having to be super aware and read the signs.

My ideal solution would be to launch all these scammers into outer space.

2 Likes

These are scams! There are thousands of threads here in the forums explaining it.

No buyer needs your email to pay. When you get a REAL sale it will show on your dashboard under "orders & shipping".

Mark the message as spam. Do not give your email to any "buyer" and don't give financial information to anyone. Etsy already has it.

1 Like

Thanks to all, I am new to Etsy and just learning how to do it, I really appreciate the responses and thanks to all for guidance!

2 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

1 Like

It is a scam!  Sadly this one and others are rampant right now...I suggest that you keep an eye on messages in the Forum...this is the page I depend on but I think there are others. Never send your email or any Etsy account nor personal account information to anyone without confirming the request is coming from Etsy itself.  Do not answer their request just send their message to the Spam button promptly. 

I have yet to learn how the scammers figure out that a shop is new but apparently it is easy and lucrative for them. 

I know how frustrating it is waiting for that first sale especially. I hope you will be patient and learn how to recognize spam messages.

I do not know it but perhaps someone else has the url for the Etsy information about this...or, read some letters here...members are very generous with their knowledge.  Wishing you good fortune.

0 Likes

@StudioCLD 

I think all the scammers would need to do is scan thru the pages and see which shops have no sales--then they figure those are new or fairly new.

However--they are now also hitting long time sellers as well.

0 Likes

Are these scams not being addressed in the Etsy Seller Handbook or anywhere else when new sellers sign up. Why are so many new sellers unclear on this?  You would think this would front and center in how Etsy works.

There are literally dozens of these posts perday--they totally overwhelm the forum!

0 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy the handbook (convoluted as it has become) does tell sellers how they will be notified when they get a sale. I haven't checked recently if they have added any scam avoidance info but it should be. Also anyone doing anything online should take the time to educate themselves on scam avoidance as a matter of urgency (and a dash of commonsense). 

Etsy does have a pop up on the message page with all that info on it. Sadly if you click 'got it'. It doesn't pop up again. Perhaps Etsy needs to make that something non-removeable. 

1 Like

@AnniebelloPaper 

Actually I hummm, knew all that--I was  trying to be sort of tongue in cheek so as not to appear too rude.

Yes, I have gotten the pop up--I assumed EVERYBODY does?  Also the "from Etsy" link and notice of that and assume EVERYBODY does?

I am just curious that with all of that why do so many people fall for this?

0 Likes

Pretty sure that popup they added in messages doesn't show up anywhere in the sellers app. (It didn't for me at least)

There are many newer sellers that have no idea etsy is an actual website and not just an app that can only be accessed on a mobile device. 

3 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy I have wondered that myself. Perhaps in the excitement of supposedly getting their first order, all common sense goes out the window?

So many new sellers are sucked into starting a shop with 'advice' from the youtube 'experts' and don't bother to read anything. Then they come here expecting their fellow sellers to spoon-feed them everything. Plenty of other sellers who don't even know the forums exist... I lurked for months before starting my shop.

1 Like

@WitticismsRus 

What?! You have got to be kidding--a SELLER does not realize Etsy is a website?! SMH?

I think maybe I should give up posting in here!

1 Like

@AnniebelloPaper 

I did not find the forum for awhile but I DID read EVERYTHING--even the very tiny print in the TOU before opening my shops. And once I found the forum I lurked for quite awhile before posting just learning more.

I am still surprised however, that people (NOT this OP-she has been very nice) will ask if it is a scam and then argue with the people who reply--and SWEAR it is really Etsy.  And every day it is rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy 

I have to agree with @WitticismsRus about sellers not knowing Etsy is also a website. So many people do everything on their phones, they might never visit an actual website for anything.

2 Likes

@AnniebelloPaper 

I must be "old fashioned" as well as just old--because that shocks me! LOL

2 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy 

Crazy right? I can't even imagine managing a shop on just the lame app. I truly have no idea how some do. I'm old fashioned too or old hehe

Oh and nope...you absolutely should not stop posting here. You provide so much valuable info, help and such here. 

3 Likes

@WitticismsRus 

Thank you

I try

And I don't know why! LOL

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.