LeafandPrint
Inspiration Seeker

is this a scam?

A Polish customer bought a PDF and is unhappy claiming that I mislead her as there is an option at checkout to choose the language. I explained I don't have this option but refunded them anyway. Has anyone encountered this before?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: is this a scam?

Never but you could add to the title and description that it’s English only 

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

I think your customer is mistaken. If they insist then you could ask them to send you a screen shot showing the option in the checkout. Variations are not currently available for digital listings so there is no way to offer this even if you had the option. Perhaps they are confusing the website language options with document language.

2 Likes
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

Make sure to turn off auto-translation or you'll have this problem from time to time.  The issue is if it's on etsy will auto translate your title and description into the buyers language and then the buyer thinks they are buying instructions in their language.  

Here's how to turn it off:

> Go to your Shop Manager.

> Go to Settings and then Options.

> Scroll down to the Automatic Listing Translation box and select Disabled.

>Select Save.

2 Likes

@LeafandPrint I would leave the auto-translator on. Turning it off stops international buyers from reading about your product. Definitely add wording in the description that the document is in English only. Put that at the top of the description. 

0 Likes

I’ve added to all my listings that the pattern is written in English, with imperial measurements (e.g. yards and inches).  Haven’t had any issues since doing this, even though I do have the auto-translate enabled for my shop.  

1 Like

No it is not a scam, each nationality will see their Etsy pages in their own language and unless it states "Pattern English Only" this could lead customers to believe it is in their language.

Others have also added "English Only" as an image (for those who do not always read the description and the image will not be translated so it is very clear)

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.