intrusive message

To stay protected, stay on Etsy. Never follow links to other sites, and don’t share contact, account, or financial info with anyone in Messages. Learn how to spot spam.

Type your reply
how do I remove this? it is on top of messages and I can't read my messages
Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
19 Replies

Re: intrusive message

You can't remove it but you can view more of the message if you lower the zoom level a little.  Still have to scroll if it's a long message, but it's better than seeing just 2-3 lines at a time.

3 Likes

It covers photos that are sent so I can see tto paint the subfect. I can't get a full view of the face.

0 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Scroll the message.

0 Likes

will not scroll- this happened just a few days ago- cannot get rid of it help

0 Likes

Better an "intrusive" warning message that actually makes everyone stop and read than having unsuspecting people respond to and being duped by all of the "scam" messages proliferating here in recent Months.

Etsy did have a "warning" which could be Xed away and we all saw how that went! Most people just Xed it without reading and then these same people came here to Forums to complain about being "scammed" of $ 1000s.

7 Likes

and still.. some manage to miss it

3 Likes

It covers photos that are sent so I can see tto paint the subfect. I can't get a full view of the face.

0 Likes

@ImGlassyEyed 

I'm glad that Etsy took this step, and don't mind that scam beware msg being there.  Though I don't think it went far enough.  Elsewhere in their buyer/seller Tou's it states the following:

"Because navigating off the Etsy platform may increase the risk of fraud or scam exposure, taking communications and transactions off-platform is not allowed. 

This includes, for example:

• Making offers to buy or sell outside Etsy
  • Encouraging buyers to purchase an item in your Etsy shop through another venue
  • Using a QR code to direct users off of the Etsy platform"

Because scammers are infiltrating lots of different corners of the site, including what may have been at one point, our regular buyers, whom have become infected with the Etsy PPP initiated "let me see if I can scam something for free" bug.  The methodology of different scammers can either be more apparent or bogged under a mess of covertly undifferentiated and weirdly unspecified communication.  Specifically, this one:

"Seeming to not have read or looked at your listing, based on their vague questions."   ...adding, the ongoing and never-ending back and forth barrage of questions...of a certain "difficult customer".

Even and especially if you, like myself, bend over backwards to describe your items accurately, and they then insist they still need to talk to you over the phone or in person, as many of us have experienced with this type of "difficult customer".  This type of approach may also include an entreaty to your sense of empathy (red flagging potential manipulation), implying they have an undefined impediment of some sort which precludes them from understanding the listing.   I hate it that selling on Etsy has become a minefield that has damaged the trust we previously enjoyed forging with our customers.  The reality of the PPP/PAR initiatives is what it is, and we now have to proactively protect ourselves.  

So seller beware, even if you had no intent of defrauding Etsy of fees or of selling off-site as the X3 more specified bullet points indicate, should you engage in an off-site "discussion" for whatever reason, you might have broken their TOU's and voided the PPP including protections for yourself!  So keep all communications on-site, for any and all reasons, and in my example of a customer giving me their phone# for a return call from me, I placed that conversation in my spam, blocking further communications.  

FYI:  I did do a karen check, which found one worrying review, which cinched my blocking them from further communications.

0 Likes

Is KarenCheck still a "thing"?

It is my understanding that Etsy removed the shared API data over a year ago.

And....every interaction between a Buyer and Seller is different.

Just because one Seller received a negative review from a Buyer, does not mean that every Seller would receive the same negative reviews from that same Buyer, nor does it prove general nefarious intentions of that Buyer.

1 Like

Google Karen check, you'll find it.

Good point about reviews; but w/o indicating more specifics,  it indicated a worrying learning curve in regards to the PPP on a high dollar value item.  Nuff said.

Beyond that, this one particular interaction that went on way longer than I should have ever allowed it, indicates a need for this seller to set much stricter boundaries on my time and patience with a certain sort of difficult customer.

0 Likes

Data on KarenCheck for Etsy will be outdated as Etsy removed access to that data over a year ago.

0 Likes

No...

Google it, It covers recent 2 year period.

1 Like

No need to "Google" something I already know. 

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. I can't scroll it down and can only see about an inch of the message and that's not enough! There's got to be a way to X out of that!

1 Like

If you are on the app, try a browser

0 Likes

Hi,

If I figure it out I will message you, please do the same for me.

0 Likes

I have been on etsy for 12 years and this is happening to me- cannot see my messages!!!!

0 Likes

If I figure it out I will message you, please do the same for me.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.