falling from my cloud

Are we now allowed to list an item both in the hand-made and the vintage category ? 

How is this possible ? 

Today's search for a "week-end bag" with the filter "vintage", I got 12 times the same shop (not counting their paying ads) just on the first results page. [same thing on page 2, 3 and 4, and I gave up.]

Their bags are obviously brand new. The listing's details states : "hand-made" and then next line "vintage from before 2000". 

I've checked 2 other shops also appearing several times on the first pages, and they are doing just the same. 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: falling from my cloud

There is not an option for "reseller" so they choose what they want and most seem to have such a ridicules mark up that they can afford to throw money at keeping their listings dominating the front pages.

Shame it puts most customers off from returning

3 Likes

@CryzalisDesigns I believe their bags look hand-made, but my question is, since when can you choose both hand-made and vintage for the same listing ? I remember selling a few things I had created myself in my shop, and if you chose hand-made, then it was automatically put in "made recently". You couldn't choose both. 

1 Like

@LePourquoiDuComment I am not sure how that is possible.

When you make a listing, the first choice is who made it.

When looking at the listings now, it does not seem to have changed so I wonder how they manage to do this when it is not possible within the listing set up

1 Like

@CryzalisDesigns  maybe they edit after setting up the listing ? Anyway this is why I wanted this to appear in the technical issues. I still hope someone from Etsy will look into it. Hope does not kill. 

1 Like

very true, they must have found a way around it somehow

1 Like

I have just did the test and created a draft, chose "hand-made" and then created in 1910, and the software simply state "this item is hand-made and vintage." 

1 Like

So created by you in 1910 according to Etsy, which would make you the oldest crafter on Etsy at the age of 114

6 Likes

@CryzalisDesigns but I am so young at heart ; )

6 Likes

@LePourquoiDuComment that is the important part : )

1 Like
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

I tested it. When listing it is possible to choose "I did" under "who made it?". Then under "when did you make it?" there are two options: "Recently" is between 2009 and 2020. But then underneath, the second option is "Vintage"  going back to 1900-1909! Choose any period under the "Vintage" time frames and the listing form then says "This item is handmade and vintage".

I never list handmade as I'm a vintage seller so I'm not sure if this changed recently? I can't honestly understand why Etsy would give the possibility to claim that I hand made something back in 1900. I'd be the oldest person in the world, ever. lol

Must be a technical glitch (hopefully).

1 Like

It's been like this as long as I can remember.
If I made something in the 1970's, then it would be vintage and handmade. 

You don't have to select 1900-1909.
You can select you made it in 1970's, 1980's, 1990' or another era.

There're also options for the 1800's, 1700's and before 1700 if you scroll down on the time period.

That drop down for the time periods shown is the same thing if you click "I did" or "someone else made it" or a craft supply etc.

0 Likes

Just in case someone cares at Etsy, the test works with the new listing set-up and the old one too, both do it fine ... You get the little hand and the alarm clock together each time on your listing. 

1 Like

@vintageNCtreasures maybe it's been like this for a while, but I am 100 % sure when I'd listed something hand-made in the past, it was put in "made recently" whithout any other choice. I remember people used to often ask for advice in the forums, about which category they should choose for their - truly- vintage & hand-made. 

0 Likes

@LePourquoiDuComment 
I know it's been this way at least since 2016 and since you started in 2019, it's always been like this where you could select the year a handmade item was made and if made by you or someone else.

It wasn't automatically put in made recently if you put you made the item.

If you select "I did" as to who made the item, you have "Not yet made, made to order", then "recently" and then "vintage" (before 2005 along with other era's).

I went back to my sold listings and as far back as 2016, 2017, 2018, I listed items I made as handmade and vintage from the 70's, 80's or 90's.

As for the handbags you found, they could be handmade and vintage by the seller.
Could the seller be lying, possibly.
People lie all the time and put "handmade" knowing full well they didn't make that item.

0 Likes

Now, not only the search for vintage items has been reduced to just a filter for a long time on Etsy, but now with this dirty trick, results pages will show mainly hand-made instead. At least for bags. Probably for many other things. 

1 Like
JudyStalus
Conversation Maker

It is certainly possible. I sell some photographs in my shop that I took in the 70's so they are handmade and vintage.  The issue with the listings OP is talking about is whether they are handmade by the seller (unlikely) and if they are actually vintage (unlikely). 

0 Likes

@JudyStalus   yes ! [I am the OP] except I don't really care if they are truly hand-made, they seem to be, so I assume they are. For sure they can't have their shop full of "vintage hand-made" that look brand new, and the exact same thing with 3 other shops. Their items are new, I have no doubt. They manage to monopolize the vintage search results. 

0 Likes

@vintageNCtreasures I have been on Etsy since 2013, with another shop. I'm sure there was a time when you couldn't list the same thing as vintage and hand-made. You had to choose either category. Why would I lie ? 

About the bags, if I had the slightest doubt they could be vintage, I would not have posted here. 

I see a problem here for people selling real vintage bags. Because after my search, I could have believed there were no real vintage week-end bags for sell on Etsy, unless I pushed my search to page 7, that's where suddendly, all the hand-made bags disappeared. 

Do the search for yourself if you care. You will be surprise to find about 3 or 4 shops sell bags in both categories and occupy all the best results places. 

0 Likes

@LePourquoiDuComment   I've been seeing this for more than 10 years on Etsy.  It's not supposed to happen but I have seen this  for different reasons besides just reselling or not understanding.  Sellers use it when they use vintage components in their items.  They asked and were told it is handmade and not vintage but they continue with this designation anyways.

It has gotten out of hand in recent years.  

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.