MapleOranges
Inspiration Seeker

customers say there was no 5-star option

I have received from a couple customers, and from a few other sellers that they have received a lot of 4-star reviews recently. They heard from the customer that when they went to leave the review, there was no 5-star option; 4-stars was the highest. Is there a glitch in the system? Because if that's the case, then we shouldn't be docked on the star seller badge for something that is a problem with the app or platform. Anyone else heard this from customers? Other sellers? How do I bring it to Etsy's attention?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
19 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: customers say there was no 5-star option

Were they using the buyer's app or a browser?

0 Likes

I'm pretty sure that can happen with outdated versions of the mobile app.

2 Likes

I haven't heard it from any customers but I guess it would explain some 4 star reviews when they seem like they should've been 5 stars.

1 Like

I've gotten a few 4 stars lately that had glowing comments, so I've seen that, too.  Now it's making more sense.  

2 Likes

This issue has been shared in the forums for awhile.  There does seem to be some devices which don't allow a 5 star option for a review.  It is a problem Etsy has not addressed. 

9 Likes

Update: It just happened to one of my customers! I knew I'd have the experience eventually on Etsy as it's been an ongoing reported problem without resolve.  I reported it to Etsy.  I have no expectations that it will be addressed. 

1 Like
MapleOranges
Inspiration Seeker

How did you go about reporting it to Etsy? I'd like to report it too. 

0 Likes
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

This has serious and highly unfair consequences because of Star Seller. So demoralizing. 

10 Likes
thePaperFramer
Conversation Maker

I have seen this happen where the review was done on their phone. I had a 4 star left by a very good customer with glowing words. I asked her about it and she said she left a 5 star on her phone. I asked her to check it on her desktop and it showed as a 4 star there. She changed it to a 5 star on her desktop and all is right in the world again; at least my world.

Ask them if they did the review on their phone.

4 Likes

I had to do that also but it’s pretty crappy to have to ask. We shouldn’t have to bother our customers with it. Or feel like a 4 isn’t good enough. 

0 Likes

On the old app, the five star did not always work.  

However some seem to think they have to fill in each star.  Not the case they need to fill in the last star they want to give and not do each one individually.

0 Likes

I got a 4 star 2 days ago, but with wonderful words for the product.

0 Likes

This was happening a lot a couple of years ago. Etsy needs to fix it.

1 Like

I have a repeat buyer who always leaves four stars but always has something nice to say. I’ve never questioned her why she leaves only four, but when she buys five plus items at once, I almost feel dread because I know it will drag my rating down. She reviews every item she buys too. 
I’m guessing she’s using a very outdated app? It would be nice if Etsy would fix this!

3 Likes

Yes, I forget which ones, but some aps only give the option of a maximum of 4 stars. Etsy has known this for months now, but don't seem to see it as a priority to fix it.

1 Like

Same thing happening here. 4 star reviews happening a lot more often when it used to be a rarity. I had one customer leave 4 4 star reviews today. Another left 2 4 star reviews yesterday with nothing but good things to say. And they’ve been sprinkled in recently. So frustrating especially when we work so hard and Etsy can’t be bothered to fix the glitch 

3 Likes

Apparently it's happening again. My customer said she left me the highest number of stars available because she was so happy, but it was 4 because of the app. Star Seller status takes a hit and it isn't our fault. Etsy, please fix!!

4 Likes

I had a lovely review from a customer, but she left 3 stars. I was a little surprised as I had a few convos' with her and she seemed very happy. I contacted her tactfully asking if there was anything I could have done differently for her to have left me 5 stars she said she left the review using her phone and there was no other option than 3 stars. She did try to alter it to 5 ( not sure if she knew how)  but its still at 3 so I reckon I'll just have to live with it lol..

2 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

I do wonder if this occurs when people use the in-built text size adjustments on phones?

If anyone has an Android and they've made a recent purchase that they haven't reviewed yet, can you test it out? 

I'm not sure if iPhones have the same options but I know that Android settings allow you to change the font size rather dramatically which could mean that if an app isn't designed to accommodate re-sizing then things could fall off the side of the viewing screen.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.