adagiopaper
Inspiration Seeker

customer telephone number for shipments

Hi everyone,
I sell on different platforms but this thing of having to ask for the customer's phone number for shipping either by message or by email is surreal. The assistance explained to me that if the customer doesn't give me the phone number I should cancel the order, crazy! In any digital sales platform, the marketplace shares this very important data with the seller, there's no reason for etsy not to share it, can we make a collective report in the hope that etsy will listen to us?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
13 Replies
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: customer telephone number for shipments

It's Etsy choice not to ask for this.  It's on you to ask the buyer.  If the buyer chooses not to give their phone number when you ask, that is their choice.  They don't want what you sell bad enough to hand over their phone number.  

3 Likes

I ship with DHL Express and they require to give the buyer’s phone number (they send them delivery updates). So, I added a note that appears at every checkout. But 99% of buyers don’t send me their phone numbers. So I was sending them additional messages explaining why it’s mandatory. That didn’t work either. So I gave up and I just give DHL my own phone number instead of the buyer’s number.

6 Likes

I do the same, it is impossible to get the number of the majority, nobody gives it to you.

0 Likes
Recyman
Crafty Poster

This is not a very good idea and basically it is not even possible for international shipments, not only for DHL Express but also for other carriers. Some countries have a different system (e.g. the number of numbers) or a number including the international area code is required. So inserting your own number is impossible or it would be broken, same as inserting any sequence of random numbers.

0 Likes

DHL and others seldom if ever contact by phone.  Updates are down through the tracking number via email. 

In the US we are cautioned against freely giving out phone numbers.  

You can use the personalization box if not used to ask customers to leave their phone number

0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

@Recyman   It is certainly possible.  I have been shipping internationally from Canada for 17 years online.  I always use my own phone number.  I have NEVER had a problem.  I would never ask a buyer for their phone number.  Much too intrusive IMO.

1 Like
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

I would never ask anyone for their phone number.  I know, if I was asked, I would give a fake one, so what's the point.  Use your own.

3 Likes

I just use my own

2 Likes

Etsy chooses not to include phone numbers and I am glad they don't aks for phone numbers.

Phone numbers are getting abused and I hate the texting some places are forcing on buyers.   For many it's another marketing tool to use just like the grocery stores wanting zip codes. 

If the personalization box is available use it to ask for the phone number.  If your courier demands it then use your own or get a phone number that will call you if there is an issue.

Shippers seldom if ever call.  In my years of using shippers only once has one called.  Their insistance on phone numbers is just ridiculous.

0 Likes

Royal Mail Click and Collect service ask for an email and a phone number so I pop in the buyer's email and just use my own phone number to get round this issue. Never had any problems at all. 

0 Likes

Here is Latvia it is very normal to give your phone number because the post office sends your parcel collection notice , info on if you have to pay customs/VAT to receive your parcel via phone text. If the phone number is not valid they can send a paper notice but many times that goes missing. 

0 Likes

The (not fully implemented) requirement for a telephone number on international shipments comes from the Universal Postal Union an organization that almost all countries post offices belong to. It is also required by some countries customs service.

0 Likes
PoochandTabby
Conversation Maker

I once had an international order where I used my own phone number and the package ended up requiring customs payment. When I checked the tracking after it was still showing up as not delivered, it turns out it was stuck in customs because they had no way to contact the customer. 

Maybe because I used my phone number and it was not in the international format? 

I had to contact the customer to contact customs, which she did and then sorted it out, but lesson learned for me personally. If they require it, I will ask for it. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.