Zoomed in main photo

In this section of my shop, some listing photos are very zoomed in and others are not. All of the main photos of my listings are roughly the same composition and all are uploaded as square images. I haven't fussed with the thumbnail in the listing form at all. I only use the old listing form. Why is this happening? I'm seeing it in both Chrome and Firefox on my desktop. Haven't checked on my phone. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaRenaissanceGirl?ref=seller-platform-mcnav&section_id=36478391

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Zoomed in main photo

The link you posted is only for you 

0 Likes

@NanaLetha Interesting... It worked for me in a logged out browser. That's weird. 

In any case, if you wish to see what I'm referring to, it's the section in my shop called "Scrunchie Sets." 

0 Likes

I had this happen a few month ago on Etsy.  It was frustrating. The problem was never resolved.  I uploaded the same duplicated photo to replace the enlarged one.  Unfortunately this didn't work because the replacement duplicate photo also looked zoomed in.  I ended up using an alternate photo which was meant to be a secondary photo.  Those photographs had picture frames, hanging clips and other objects  in the background which I would never otherwise use as a first photo.  But, this seemed to work and the program didn't automatically enlarge the photos with "stuff" in them.   I'm not thrilled with this "fix" as these photos are not meant to be the first item photo which I take specifically for Etsy's search pages.

I also left one of these enlarged images as is in the hopes it would return to a normal size.  It never did and I ended up deactivating that listing.  Like yours, these were all square images.   I am assuming this is an unresolved glitch which hasn't been figured out by programers. I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I can see the zoomed in ones.  Thankfully, yours don't look bad. 

0 Likes

I'm noticing it on The Starry Night, Wizard, Pumpkin Spice and Mermaid scrunchie listings. 

0 Likes

@NancyQstudio  Thanks for checking Nancy. This kind of time wasting stuff makes me so annoyed. Sorry it's happened to you as well. I don't care that Etsy went to square photos. It's fine. I do most of my social media as squares anyway. But why, when we comply with squares, do the photos still look weird?! Either too zoomed in, or added colored bar making the square photo rectangular. Why? I don't get it. 

1 Like

@LaRenaissanceGirl I feel the same way.  It's disappointing.  

0 Likes

They look appropriately sized to me. I'm looking on a desk top.

0 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

I am seeing it as well (desktop, chrome). The wizard set is an example, it is zoomed in so the thumbnail that is displaying has no area around the items.  No clue how to fix it though, sorry.

0 Likes

@DragonflyDreams1  Thanks for checking. I just deleted my main photo for "wizard" and uploaded a different more zoomed out photo. That one looks normal now, but there are more that look crazy zoomed in. Ugh. 

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

They all look fine to me using my phone 

0 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

The only thing that I have found that helps is to add more space around the side of the photo.  Generally, I photograph on an all white background and I can easily change most of my pics from 2000 square to 2200 square.  In the instance that the background is not white or I have an accent, I just don't worry about the extra white border. 

Sometimes this stuff wears me out!

1 Like

@IndustrialBlonde  I agree. I try to photograph with extra space on all sides, knowing I will crop to square in photoshop. I also use a mostly white background, but it has a bit of grey marbling because I prefer the subtle bathroom counter texture for scrunchies. But, I guess sometimes I don't leave quite enough space.

I still don't get why this is happening though. A square is a square. Why is Etsy auto zooming in to make a square into a zoomed in square. What is the point?

0 Likes

Thanks everyone for checking. This kinda stuff just makes me crazy. Because it looks so unprofessional, even though all of my main listing photos for scrunchies are almost exactly the same! Square, with the same amount of space on the sides. It's crazy-making for perfectionists, lol. The other thing I don't get is why on the mobile browser (not the app) do some of my square photos have a colored bar underneath and some do not! What is wrong with this platform, why can't they do anything right. Argh. 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.