VAT BUG

VAT bug that show more money on my items then when you click them individually I need help how I can resolve this issue so I can put items on ssle

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
9 Replies
FoxAndVelvet
Inspiration Seeker

Re: VAT BUG

This is happening for us as well. It has only happened in the past few days and we have made no changes to settings ourselves. Our UK orders are not eligible for VAT collection by Etsy, as we have had confirmed by Etsy Support, however when you click through to the individual listing it adds VAT. We have tested it a few times and sometimes the VAT remains at checkout, sometimes it doesn't. 

1 Like

@FoxAndVelvet This is very concerning. Is the customer being charged the VAT on the invoice you print out? I went into your shop and put something in my basket. The VAT was added with a link to an explanation which wasn’t very clear whether or not the VAT would be charged? (but how many customers would read it anyway?). When I clicked through to pay, the VAT was still there???

0 Likes

Holy crap, it really is adding VAT on UK to UK orders.

How have they screwed up this badly?

2 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@SausageDogTreasures, @FoxAndVelvet 

I see the VAT added on your listings but not to ours, nor to those of @OliverTwistsFibres 

This suggests it is triggered by something to do with your shop setup.

Whether VAT needs to be charged by Etsy should be based on ships from and ships to location.

Etsy should be using the ships from location in the listing's delivery details, but it sounds like they are incorrectly using a location pulled from somewhere else, which would have to be your shop data.

@FoxAndVelvet your Seller Details says "Location: New Zealand" above your UK address. That's suspicious.

@SausageDogTreasuresyou don't have a shop location, and you don't have your address in Seller Details so I can't check.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

1 Like

@FancyTogs  Not only that, but with Sausagedogtreasures, an item listed as 199.00 (189.05 on sale) is still showing VAT UK to UK.

If it was picking up something from an account setting, it still shouldn't add VAT as it's over £135!

Weirdly seems to be happening if the item is on sale. Even though 1 item from foxandvelvet doesn't meet the threshold for the discount, it's as though just because there's a sale somewhere, it's screwing with VAT. [which also makes no flipping sense]

1 Like
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@CappuccinoLace 

Good catch on the £135.

When I checked in a random search I did not see the VAT markup on items from other sellers which have sales discount pricing.

Etsy have seriously messed up, but it is not universal.

Lawrence

1 Like
FoxAndVelvet
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Lawrence, 

Thanks for your reply. This is all cleared by Etsy and has been for some time. We moved to New Zealand and changed our legal address to the New Zealand one so thank you for flagging that - I don't know where it is pulling the UK address from because I've just double checked our legal information and it is our NZ one. I will check this with Etsy in case this is part of the issue. To be clear - this was done with the help of Etsy support as you cannot change the location of your store without their help on the back end.

We are still using our UK printer, which was approved as a production partner when Etsy first allowed production partners. All our UK orders ship UK to UK and this is reflected in our delivery settings. We have been in touch with Etsy support who have confirmed that our orders should not have UK VAT collected on them as they do not meet the following criteria: 

Etsy collects VAT from buyers on orders that meet the following criteria:

• The buyer is located in the UK.*
  • The goods are dispatched from outside the UK.
  • The total value of the package (excluding delivery) is less than or equal to £135.

The change was also made months ago and we have only just had this issue arise. 

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@FoxAndVelvet 

The Seller Details by default initially pulls the address from the tax information page, but the Seller Details can then be manually edited. Etsy were messing about with auto-filling of the Seller Details about 6 months ago.

Your shop location (top of shop home page, under the banner) is "Liverpool, England". It should be set to where you are located.

Lawrence

0 Likes
FeltFunky
Conversation Maker

I wonder if it would make any difference if your store location was on your front page? Maybe not, but it might at least get you more sales, as at the moment you won't show up in search if buyers are looking for UK shops.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.