Unable to remove default card - expired

Hi,

My old credit card is expired, and I added the new one a few weeks ago - it was correctly processed and added to my account.

Now I discover that payments were still directed to the old one, which is now expired, and therefore I didn't receive any more payments on my bank account (still, the IBAN number is the same). I've tried to remove the old card, or to make the new one default, but there is no option for those actions: I only have a button for removing the new one (nonsense).

I can see this is happening to several people so I wonder if anybody had this issue solved, thank you!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Unable to remove default card - expired

Payments go to your bank account, not your credit card. So, you added a new credit card but did you update your bank account? In mny instances, they are not related (mine aren't). Or are you referring to a debit card linked to your bank account?

0 Likes

The credit card for billing is not the same as your bank account, even though they may be connected.   Payments don't get made to a credit/debit card. Your credit card is changed in Finances - Payment Settings - Billing tab at the top.  When you add the new card here, it may take a day or so to enable it to be the default - by clicking the radio button.  Then when you edit the old one, you'll see the option to delete.

Your bank account for deposits can be edited in your Finances - Payment Account

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015728867-How-to-Update-the-Billing-Card-on-File-for-Your...

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015775908-How-to-Update-and-Verify-Your-Bank-Account-for-...

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Payments don't go to your credit card. They are deposited in your bank account.

0 Likes

If you added a new credit card to etsy,

You need to delete your old credit card from etsy,

use a browser, not the app

credit cards (billing) and bank accounts are on separate tabs, make sure you did the right one

0 Likes

Thanks, I did the correct process but I think there was some glitch preventing me from deleting or changing the default card (no buttons or checkbox available for this). I was working from desktop, not on mobile.

0 Likes

"I've tried to remove the old card, or to make the new one default...."

Can you edit the old card to the new number, and delete the other?

0 Likes

Rif.: Unable to remove default card - expired

I managed to remove the old card during a checkout process, otherwise there was no option to do so in my payment settings. Both cards referred to the same bank account, but since the old card was the default and expired, this blocked all deposits for some reason. I was told to redo the account validation process (on the exact same bank account that I've been using for years). Well, I will now have to wait for another week...

0 Likes
PinkLadyDesigns
Conversation Maker

@ChezMargotVintage Changing your credit card during checkout has absolutely nothing to do with your credit card on file in the billing section.

You must have a credit card on file in the billing area for charges Etsy may need to make to your account. You also will not receive a deposit if the credit card is expired.

It doesn't matter what bank account your credit card is attached to. Deposits go to your bank. Charges are made to the credit card. 

1 Like

@PinkLadyDesigns well the card was removed from my billing section as well, so I guess that worked. I had the new one already saved and verified weeks ago in the billing area, but there was no way to make this one the default (all the related buttons and checkboxes were missing from the page section). It does matter that the default credit card - attached to the same bank account - was expired. That was the reason why the account reported an error and the deposit didn't happen.

0 Likes

I had to add a new card because my old one was compromised.  I added the new card (finances - payment settings - billing).  Then I checked the "default" box.  I was then able to delete the old card.

Also for anyone saying your payment goes to your bank not the CC.  If you CC expires, Etsy stops depositing your money.  I found that out last time mine expired.

1 Like

Thank you! That is exactly what happened, the only difference is there wasn't a box for checking the default card, or a button for deleting the expired one (only the new one). I could remove the old card only by opening a checkout process, this way it was removed from my billing settings as well. Still, I also had to redo the verifying process on the same linked bank account.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.