USPS requiring customer to take damaged items, all packaging to P.O. in addition to supplying photos

This is a new problem for me with USPS, though I am finding forum questions back to 2019 & 2020 with the same issues. I had one or two broken items last year, when I purchased insurance with EVERY order that wasn't USPS Priority.  USPS only required photos and refunded the full amount from the Etsy order.
This year, I've had one item through eBay, and one through Etsy, that just recently arrived broken.  The eBay order, USPS requested for the items and packaging, to be taken in to the post office. (She had already thrown it all out before getting the request from USPS.)  We had already refunded her.
I knew after that, it could also be required for my recent Etsy damaged item.  I quickly told the customer to save all the packaging, including the LABEL, as told on the USPS site, that she might be required to take the item in to the P.O.  I filed a claim with USPS and sent in photos, from the customer who was accommodating.  She has now received a letter from USPS to bring in all the damaged items and packaging to the post office within 20 days.  (I do pack VERY well, so I wasn't worried about that!)  But, the customer is leaving for a 2 week vacation and doesn't want to bother with running in to the post office.  She is not even asking for a partial refund (2 of the set of 12 items were broken.)  
BUT, here is my worry- we are encouraged by Etsy to use their USPS labels.  Etsy also takes their percentage off of the postage paid by the customer, basically making us pay for some of the postage right off the bat.  (It IS the easiest way to ship Etsy orders.)  
BUT, it is unreasonable for us to require a customer to do all this work for their USPS damaged order.  I do not see any other way to prove the damages, if USPS is not simply accepting the photos.
I have also read in forums, that USPS is not fully reimbursing Esty shops for the (included) $100 of Ground Advantage insurance, sometimes only reimbursing for the extra insurance purchased (for the amount over the $100).
 It is my understanding that generally, a shipment is the responsibility of the sender/shop to arrive safely.  
? Has anyone started to include a disclaimer in their shop information about shipping and damages?
? Has anyone been able to get any kind of resolution from Etsy about this issue?
? Has anyone had Etsy HELP with USPS issues regarding USPS shipping insurance reimbursements?
Another forum response relayed that there have been problems because we actually purchase the labels from ETSY, not USPS retail.
Is there a way to get Etsy to address the issues?
What ramifications are there if a customer files a complaint with Etsy, about having to wait for USPS to resolve the issue, as they sit with a damaged item?

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: USPS requiring customer to take damaged items, all packaging to P.O. in addition to supplying ph

Some USPS post office require the items to be returned by the buyer to them for inspection. And whether or not you use Etsy labels, the company still gets its transaction fee from the labels. 

0 Likes

Re: USPS requiring customer to take damaged items, all packaging to P.O. in addition to supplying ph

@PetalPatchGirl: The general rule with any carrier is that they have the right to inspect the package if you are filing a claim for damaged in transit. In a perfect world, the buyer must keep any proof they have that the package was in fact delivered damaged until the claim is resolved.

You can include all the disclaimers you want, but most instances of loss or damage in transit are the seller's responsibility and they have to refund the buyer.

2 Likes

The USPS has the right to inspect the package and if they are paying the insurance they have the right to keep the item as it is then theirs. Do they make it difficult to claim insurance? Yes. Probably because it had been so abused for years. Personally I feel if it is a fragile item you have little hope of claiming insurance as they will say you did not pack sufficiently. What to do? Start adding 50 cents/ $1 to each order for  your own "Insurance fund" in cases of breakage. (self insurance) You then will not have to involve the USPS or Etsy at all. If I had paid even a $1 extra insurance over the years I would be tens of thousands in the hole for insurance I have never used as I have had less than $100 total breakages over 20 years.

Can she just open a case with Etsy? Yes. if you cover all the PPP criteria Etsy says they will refund one damaged item case per year. (Has to be under $250 total including insurance and all the other hoops have to be met). She could probably do a chargeback with whatever card she used. If you purchased extra insurance thorough Shipsurance, they also have rules that have to be met to claim. Best solution IF you get photos of the damage is just to refund and move on. You can't MAKE a buyer comply for YOU to get refunded via insurance. That is not their problem. You can hope for the best ad that is about it as one way or another they can get their refund insurance aside. Insurance is not their concern..

2 Likes

It certainly seems like a lost cause to even try to collect insurance.  And it didn't used to be.  Which is frustrating and ridiculous.
So...
Do any of you purchase extra insurance when the order is over $100?  Do you think it is worth it?
@hopeandjoystudios  Do you add the extra 50¢ - $1 to your items to cover losses?  I'm thinking of an added percentage... 
Luckily, with this "learning lesson", the damage was not expensive and the customer is very understanding.
I do like to be prepared and know ahead what I need to do, so no surprises!
Thank you all of your frankness and time!!

0 Likes

Hi, there are other a la carte insurance companies that one can use for shipping. Thanks for sharing, usps sounds horrible to deal with on this.

0 Likes

I don't think insurance is worth it. Mostly because it requires compliance from the buyer. Self insure. 

1 Like

In the rare times a buyer tried with an broken item claim, it was denied.  I just ask a buyer to send a picture of the broken item and provide a replacement or refund money.  The only times I have had a sucessful claim it was for lost packages.  I have had four lost packages in the last two months.  

1 Like

Not paying on damaged claims has been the new normal from USPS since 2020. As a vintage seller I can expect to have on average 1 a year. I do pack even more carefully and know it’s on me if it breaks. This is the same no matter where you buy the postage. Etsy, Pirateship or USPS counter. 

1 Like

I have had no issues with claims and I have done 8 of them this year for lost packages. I did have 2 damages over the holidays but they didn't request the orders be brought in. The damage was clearly caused by them because the bubble mailers was pierced and had some oily substance all over it. Common sense tells us that it happened during transit because why would I ship something like that. I would image they are requesting the items be brought in because you didn't show them the shipping box or your photo wasn't clear enough and they are trying to determine whether or not its due to their negligence or poor packaging.  

0 Likes

I have not had to file a claim in years and all I did then was file online for a lost package. It was quick and painless.

So I went to the USPS site and looked at filing a claim. I will provide the link to that page at the bottom and you will find the info about half way down that page. But it doesn't matter how you purchase your label, whether you purchase from Etsy, Ship Station, the local post office etc., the requirements are going to be the same.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm?_gl=1*1eeu2iu*_gcl_au*MTM5Njc2MzA5NS4xNzEzMDk2NzA2*_ga*MTkxN.....

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.