Good morning everyone! I found that my listing titles are cut short after the first punctuation mark in Etsy desktop search. Do we know if this is permanent or a temporary thing?

My original title of:

"M| 90s Y2K Black Punk Mini Skirt - Medium | Vintage Chain Striped Low Rise" now appears as just "M". Other's titles are suffering in the same way.

If anyone at Etsy is reading this, how long will this be going on for? If its a while I'll need to retype my 4000 listing titles to be compliant with this new change. I don't think many people will click on my new listing title of "M". 

Etsy sellers, if you are having this same problem please reply below. I'm curious how widespread this problem is. Etsy reinforced how important our titles were in the latest Etsy direct, but now they're taking out titles away from us. 

AzuraTarot
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Titles cut short after first punctuation in desktop search

thank you kindly, joyphillipsart.   

I edited my titles according to your advice, and it worked. Very much appreciated.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

To add to @joyphillipsart  in my titles, it looks like ( : ) is OK too.

1 Like
nemeton
Conversation Maker

Great. Now a bunch of my tutorials are just titled 'Jewellery Making'. How is that going to increase sales?

5 Likes
AzuraTarot
Inspiration Seeker

I just came across this. Every word in my titles gives important information, so this is terrible. 

Meanwhile, many other shops have their titles displayed in their entirety. 

Support feigning ignorance...oh my.  Maybe they want to sell "full title display" as a premium feature in the future? ^^

I've seen someone's listing show as "NEW". 

If these utterly senseless "tests" don't stop, I'm out of here for good. No one has the time to re-do all their listings every other day.

1 Like

"Support feigning ignorance" may be true, although in my experience, they are most often *not* feigning, but simply ignorant.  The outsourced chat staff/bots usually just follow a script, and don't know about tests.

5 Likes

Me too. THIS I will adjust for. Love to spend time this way instead of listing for holidays,NOT!!!!!!!

I thought the 'rule' was the first FOUR of title!

0 Likes

Mine was fixed this morning. Don't know if it will stick or not. Only time will tell.

1 Like

Mine isn't yet, unfortunately.

0 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

There are multiple threads going about this topic. Its not clear if it is a "test" or some new braindfade that an Etsy "marketing expert" has come up with - ie. hide the titles as well as the descriptions. Sellers might be able to get around it by removing and non alphabetical characters (, : ; // ) etc in the title.....  but knowing Etsy in a few days time they will change things again, and change it back, or more likely find new and inventive ways to hide the titles and descriptions to discourage buyers from purchasing anything. 

1 Like

Back to broken again this morning.

0 Likes

1 Like

How does the punctuation affect Google search?  Just curious; I have commas in my titles to separate phrases but may take them out as I relist/rework items.

1 Like

When is this test going to be over?  I am searching for some fabric gimp trim and am coming up with titles such as 1/2", on sale!, 50 (50), and I'll bet the shop owners who are not in the test even know this.  I have to click on the listing to see the whole title.  Additionally, I am in the hide the description test so I have to scroll down through the reviews to get details and shipping.

What a pain!

1 Like

How frustrating!  and how confusing for buyers to jump through hoops to use the site.  

1 Like

In just the last month Etsy has screwed up our descriptions, screwed up our photos, & now screwed up our titles.  Tell me Etsy are you seriously trying to force long time sellers who follow the rules out of your site altogether?  Because that IS exactly how it feels to me.

Workaround on photos, I deleted all photos Etsy made my main photos, I'm now short a photo in each of these listings, but at least my main photo is back to where it belongs!!!

Workaround on titles, delete ALL punctuation marks, only use letters & numbers (if needed).  Yes, this looks like a long, continuous title so I also shortened all my titles by removing the words "all-occation gifts" & "art gourd decor" & "sea shell decor".  Now my titles are all there & they look pretty decent as well.

As for the descriptions, they are still a royal mess, in the wrong place, & will more than likely hurt our sales, but I don't have a workaround to fix.

Etsy why don't you leave what is working fine ... alone.  And get your butts working on all the screw ups you've made in the "name of progress", the only progress I see is no sales at all!  But what else do I expect from a company that screws up everything that works for "handmade sellers"?

2 Likes
ileaiye
Crafty Poster

My titles are fine, but there's no description at all on every listing. 

1 Like

ileaiye ... My descriptions are under or after all reviews & review photos.  Who is going to take the time to scroll down to find them?  I sure wouldn't, so it's a mega screw up that is hurting sales ... gee whiz, thanks once again for nothing, Etsy!!!

1 Like

My titles are broken again. I sent a follow up note and requested a refund of listing fees since my listings are a mess.

1 Like

Good luck getting a refund!

1 Like
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

Yesterday all my titles were truncated after the first punctuation mark. I edited a lot of them, removed commas etc. That did the trick, titles were back entirely. Today it seems that this glitch (because I do not believe it is a test) has been fixed as all titles are back as normal, even those I have not yet edited.

3 Likes

@RueDeLouvain  My titles are still wonky.

1 Like

Mine are still shortened and sales are down 25% as a result.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.