The "not available in your region" problem is due to naked skin

I have clicked through my poster shop. This technical problem does only affect posters where there is some naked skin visible or portraits of woman. There is even a poster blocked with a religious painting. Also pictures of antique statues are blocked. Interestingly, my two photo posters with a naked male are not affected..... The listing text or the tags do not seem to have any influence.

In my impression there is a AI going wild, cleaning etsy from naked skin but overshooting the target by far.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
34 Replies
EpoqueVintage
Conversation Maker

Re: The "not available in your region" problem is due to naked skin

There are a few posts about this issue, it certainly appears that the AI has gone above and beyond censoring anything and everything resembling or featuring female bare flesh! But surely this issue must lie with the Etsy technicians who program the AI? 

I can't even test it for you as I am based in France, your shop is based in Switzerland, all your items over 150 euros are showing as unavailable to me presumably down to the French VAT issue, requiring platforms to collect it on the sellers behalf. 

Your posters are wonderful. 

1 Like
catfluff
Conversation Maker

Just another ludicrous malfunction of the site.

5 Likes
catfluff
Conversation Maker

@BeautifulArtPosters  i think you hit it on the head though its is naked flesh that is making it happen.  I just checked your shop and picasso poster is not available but anything that has no flesh works.   And that explains why earlier i looked at a necklace and it was on a body just saw the neck but that was enough to not show it too, ridiculous when they have no idea what they are doing they should stop messing with it.

2 Likes

Yes it is I just clicked on a couple of the posters depicting female and it is restricted which is strange I did not think anything was restricted in the Netherlands

2 Likes

Those poor sellers selling jewellery & clothes using models are going to have a nightmare, I wonder if this overzealous bot got confused and is messing up because it was instructed to remove the Child models?

0 Likes
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

Yes, the shop main page shows the Picasso poster with the highlight ‘Free postage within the U.K.’ but when I click on it I’m informed it’s not available in my region. 

1 Like

it restricts the Dante Rosetti art poster but not the Ai wei wei poster? which features a full nude male?

The AI is sexist!

2 Likes

Yes, Ai Wei Wei is ok and the Crickmay photo of a naked male too.

Very interesting are two posters I have of Urs Lüthy: the one with a boxer with the exposed torso is ok while another one with the back of a lady is censored. 

1 Like

But then the Gustave Courbet art is not censored so it seems it can't quite decide what it is doing 

0 Likes

Is it from the images alone or is it picking up the words nude or naked in your descriptions and/or your tags?  I can't check myself as it says "Unavailable in my region"!!

1 Like

I think it must be the images, if you look at the other posters in the shop depicting nude, there is no mention of nude or naked in the text or keywords

0 Likes

To the currently not censored poster of Crickmay with a male nude I have just added for test the tag "naked male nude".

It is still available.

0 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Changing all words didn't fix a listing I tested, changing to different image didn't work if it was still a bikini. Changing the main photo on that listing to the size chart worked and the other photos were still there just not in the first photo.

2 Likes

Thank you for that, it is intresting and may help to find a workaround. Seller of cloths or jewellery could go that way. Art sellers will struggle selling art without showing it on the first photo

0 Likes

Betreff: The "not available in your region" problem is due to naked skin

Yes, and sadly, my brilliant Nan Goldin poster with the kissing (but clothed) couple, which for weeks now has the most clicks of all my inventory, is censored too... So the naked female arm may be too much.

1 Like
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

The Gustave Courbet one is still showing!!

0 Likes

According to my inventory, the AI is not perfect in recognizing the female breast but very strickt with the butt....

4 Likes

@BeautifulArtPosters You are spot on! I am in Australia and I only sell domestically so thought I had been spared. But no. Once I read your post I found two of my listings with the problem, both of Marilyn Monroe wearing clothes. Sadly one of them is in two person's carts. I wonder if they will be able to make the purchase...

I moved the two "offending" listings to 1st & 2nd place in my shop. The 2nd one is her "flying skirt" image, the most popular and iconic of all her photos. Except on Etsy. I could cry.

0 Likes

you do have to be careful of our naked arms, didn't you know?

It is high time Etsy realises they have to actually get some real functioning AI, real people or wait till it is more advanced maybe when they can tell the difference between a male and a female.. this is costing everyone a fortune including Etsy!

2 Likes
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

Ah, the female arm!

Wars have been won and lost, cities sacked and empires built, all on the back of exposure to the female arm.

Paris was seduced by Helen’s forearm, Lancelot fractured the Round Table due to infatuation with Guinevere’s wrists.

Why, even now, in towns and cities around the world, at closing time outside nightclubs in the dodgy part of town fights break out as the air is filled with cries of “Oi! You were looking at my girlfriend’s elbow!”

Thankfully the Etsy AI bots will protect us from such risks.

I feel so reassured.

4 Likes

@BeautifulArtPosters have you tried changing the 1st picture to see what happens? 

0 Likes

As another etsy user found out, it would work. Art sellers could maybe publish in the first photo a banner over the poster with the text "This artwork is censored by etsy due to visibility of naked skin. Please see the full artwork on the next photo"... 

2 Likes

I have christmas cards with deers on them and its showing this item is not available in  your region so  no naked person or skin etc.

3 Likes

Etsy AI tries to protect us from purchasing naked deer. And your beautiful bathing woman is censored too...

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.