BeZazz
Inspiration Seeker

Tax info error

Can someone help me? Is anyone else having this problem? When I go to verify my tax info with my legal name and social security number, I get an error message saying " There was an error saving your taxpayer information. Please try again." I have sent emails and used the help chat numbers times and I can't get this issued resolved. My account is now suspended for tax info and Etsy keeps telling me they are working it.  Please help.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
16 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Tax info error

I would try a different browser.

0 Likes

Was your shop started under your legal name?  Was the bank account entered under your legal name?  Does social security have your legal name?  Is it a full name?  There might be some discrepancy between the form you are using and what social security has.  

0 Likes
zptees
Post Crafter

"Does social security have your legal name?"

I'm going through the same exact problem. My SS card has my middle name, and the form in Etsy doesn't have a box for middle name.

Plus, the form has my first and last name on the First Name box. No matter what I do, no matter what, 5 days of this BS. Money and business opportunities lost because of a glitch. #fml

6 Likes
RemyLuApparel
Inspiration Seeker

This is exactly what's happening to me currently. Customer service has been zero help. I feel so frustrated. My middle name is on my SSN card as well, but no where to enter it on Etsy when I try to update my tax info. Keep getting the error message and also "unable to save" at the bottom. I contacted Etsy a ton and they keep giving me the run around. The last lady I spoke to tonight said that this was a known issue that they are working to fix. But she didn't give me a timeline or confirmation that they'd reach out to me once the "bug" was fixed. My shop has now been suspended to over 24 hours and it's embarrassing and sad. I want to be able to fill my orders and keep my customers happy. 

4 Likes

I’m having the exact problem!! Have tried different browsers, everything!! When I try and reach customer service I get told to email and I get a generic email that does NOT address the issue. Trying to get phone number to call is impossible. I’m fed up with Etsy. They charge more than any other sales site and don’t have customer service AT ALL!!!

3 Likes
RemyLuApparel
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
CeramicsByDalia
Inspiration Seeker

Hi all, I'm also having the same issue and cannot save my SSN for the same error message. Trying to get the problem solved before my account gets suspended as well.

0 Likes
CeramicsByDalia
Inspiration Seeker

Hi again everyone,

I just tried it again and it worked for me this time. Here's what I did: I selected Non-legal name change (typo, etc.) and in the First name box, I entered First Name Middle Name, and in Last name box I entered my Last name.  I was then able to enter my SSN and save it !!!!

4 Likes
AmericanDreamy
Inspiration Seeker

Hello. This might work for me, but may I ask, does the "Non-legal name change" option require a photo ID verification? Or is that just for legal name change? I'm just trying to prepare for the steps needed to take. Thank you.

0 Likes
VixenVinylsNY
Inspiration Seeker

This is the solution!!! Thank you so much for following up with what fixed your issue. This has been a nightmaretrying to get solved. 

1 Like

Thank you for posting this...it worked for me too!

0 Likes
SodaCityStyles
Inspiration Seeker

I had the same problem and this worked for me as well.

0 Likes
CeramicsByDalia
Inspiration Seeker

Wanted to clarify that I believe the problem was that my Drivers License has my middle name, and in Etsy, the name was only my first and last. So it was not matching and there is no separate field for entering a middle name on Etsy. So if you have a middle name, it should go together in the same field with your first name. When I did that, I was able to add my social and save it.

0 Likes

I am confused on what is a non legal name change is. Can someone please explain this? Thank You.

1 Like
SmugKitten
Inspiration Seeker

Super irritating.  All that was required was to add my SS#, but if I clicked that rather than the name changes, it resulted in an error (never allowed me to attempt to upload my gvt document (drivers license).  I tried multiple times, closing the window and reopening a new session each time. Finally, I clicked "legal name change" as the reason for my edit and *boom* it allowed me to complete the process. 

0 Likes

How are people getting their name changed? My middle name is not on there so that has to be the issue. I just can’t find a place to add it.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.