AllAroundMaker
Inspiration Seeker

Star seller denied because of scam message

I'm not going to get star seller for January because I failed to respond to a scam message and it dropped my response rate (I don't get that many messages).

Is there any way to address this?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Star seller denied because of scam message

Log into etsy from a web browser and mark the message as "spam". That is the normal way to handle these types of messages so not responding won't hurt star seller metrics for messaging. Going forward, do this within 24 hrs of receiving it per the SS rules.

https://www.etsy.com/starseller

I've read here on the boards that marking as "spam" will retroactively fix that metric for SS but it may or may not work. Try it though.

2 Likes

I had the same thoughts - not sure about the end-of-month situation, though.

1 Like

@PillowDetails I am not sure either but I guess it's worth a shot!

1 Like

Go to your messages, check it off and mark as spam now.  Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.  Next time, mark as spam.

2 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

@AllAroundMaker 

Do above, and read how star seller works on your star seller dashboard section.

3 Likes

You didn’t get dinged because you received a spam message, you got dinged because you didn’t respond or mark it as spam. It doesn’t matter who the message is from or what it’s about, that will not affect your shop in any way. All that matters is if you respond or not, or send it to spam if it is spam. 
If you buy something and the seller thanks you then you need to respond. A friend sends a message just saying hi, you respond. 

5 Likes

@AllAroundMaker: The Star Seller metric for messages is very simplistic and binary - either you replied to (or marked as SPAM) that first message of a new incoming thread within 24 hours or you did not.

To clarify what others have said, if the unanswered new thread is not a Help Request, at least for the time being, it appears that marking an unanswered new thread as SPAM (even after the 24 hour deadline has passed) will cause your reply percentage to change in a day or two (but not retroactively) if the original message was within the current star seller period. Note that subsequent messages from that account may go directly to the SPAM folder. It may or may not correct in time for the January Star calculations.

1 Like

If you use the app, I believe that Mark as Spam does not appear in the app. You'll need to go to your messages using a browser instead. Give it a try because it seems this has made a difference for other sellers.

0 Likes

I don't get a lot of messages either so I set up auto reply. This way I don't miss any.

0 Likes

Mark it as Spam now, and it should drop off your star seller stats in a couple days. You ALWAYS either have to reply or mark as spam, one or the other, no matter what the message is, including messages from other sellers you have purchased something from.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.