Star Seller is not calculating correctly, why bother having it

The fact that an order that has been marked complete when it was delivered in person (and noted as such) makes a negative impact on the star seller score. Not the first time it has happened, and not even sure why bother with it at this point if it doesn’t calculate the score properly. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Star Seller is not calculating correctly, why bother having it

The program explicitly states that delivered/picked up orders do not meet the tracking requirements for star seller. They are not exempt, so the program is calculating correctly.

9 Likes

It's always been that way with delivery in person. Frankly, I don't put much stock in the star seller. I don't buy based on that, rather the reviews.

0 Likes

It is calculated correctly. Its just that its stupid and not a fair measurement of anything.  We have it because Etsy likes it.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Pick up and in person delivery has never been accepted for Star Seller, it is stated right there in the SS FAQ section that they don't qualify.  Etsy has no proof that either you delivered the product, or the buyer collected it. 

If you are in the US, you can buy a letter stamp label through Etsy for around 60c, then print two copies of a receipt for delivery/pick-up.  Have the buyer sign both copies at pickup or delivery, then keep one and post the other to the buyer using the letter stamp label.  You satisfy the buyer's needs, and the Etsy stamp label counts as tracked shipping under Etsy's requirements. 

Of course, if you are not in the US, you don't have this option.  Instead you need to decide what s more important to you, meeting your customer's needs, or meeting the arbitrary requirements of the badge.  

3 Likes

But does not count for the item.  It only counts for the receipt.  The buyer can still claim not to have received the item/  

0 Likes

The buyer can claim non-receipt of the goods even if they were shipped and signed for, so kind of a moot point. Sending the receipt through Etsy labels is just a workaround for the SS automatic metrics. 

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

@BootifulLabels why do you bother perpetuating this unfair workaround? It does nothing to even the playing field for you or any other non US seller.

Plus it isn't fool proof.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

@LastCentury 

You are right, it doesn't help me, but it can help many, and if US sellers wish to maintain pickup/hand-delivery services to their buyers without risking their SS status, it is a valid way to do it.  Etsy have state that tracked shipping, or use of Etsy labels is a tick for SS.  Just because I can't take advantage of this that doesn't mean those who can should not.  I am not mean spirited enough to begrudge others an Etsy legal option.

I never said it was fool proof, nor did I say it would prevent a buyer claiming non receipt.  My solution was for those who choose to offer in person delivery and don't want it to affect their SS chances.  What happens after pickup or delivery is a different topic.

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

@BootifulLabels Please point us all to the details in the Star Seller guide that shows this method to be "valid" and "etsy legal".

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

@LastCentury 

It is right below this post, but I am happy to copy it here.

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

This also applies to delivery orders.

It clearly says a valid tracking number OR a shipping label purchased on Etsy.  Etsy offers a letter rate label to US sellers.  This counts as a shipping label purchased on Etsy.

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

@BootifulLabels I don't see anything where it says that a letter with a receipt is "valid" & "etsy legal".  

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Read the bold blue text again.  A letter rate label purchased through Etsy Labels (only available to US sellers) is a shipping label purchased through Etsy labels and therefore counts as valid for SS. 

I am not saying "a letter with a receipt", or that you can just buy a stamp at the PO and send a receipt, what I am talking about is a letter rate shipping label purchased on Etsy.  

0 Likes

@OceanMaidenDesigns: "... doesn’t calculate the score properly." In what way is the score not calculated correctly? If you have not yet done so, you might want to read https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000338067-How-to-Offer-Local-Pickup-or-Delivery?segment=s...

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

This also applies to delivery orders.

5 Likes

Give yourself a star for actually performing good customer service to your buyer. That is what is important. It does stink that hand-delivering dings your stats.

4 Likes

Sorry but hand delivery is not good customer service.  It lacks proof of delivery.  That is what tracking is for.  Does doing this mean the buyer will return?  Not likely.  If you don't know the person, are you at risk?  Yes, such deliveries have gone sour.

Seller is also losing profit if driving to meet someone to give them the item.  So reduction in profit can be expected.

0 Likes

Proof of delivery is meaningless on Etsy. Items shown to be delivered are not safe from being refunded, many of those shipments have gone sour. Cindylouwho2 went into detail about this in her blog post from April of last year. I recommend reading it if you haven't already. 

2 Likes

Have you read the information on the program?  Then you would have known that hand delivery does not work for star seller.  Etsy has never been fond of hand delivery.  They accepted that it happens but it has no tangible information about delivery which is what tracking is for.

Seller loses all protection.  Even sending a receipt does not cover if the buyer opens a case.   

So you have to decide if it is worth it to do hand delivery?  Personally if I know the person, I am happy to remove from Etsy and sell to them in person.  Otherwise even if the live down the street, I mail the item if I don't know that person. 

Better safe than sorry. 

0 Likes

You can keep saying that sending a receipt does not cover if a buyer a opens a case, but please don't forget that even sending the product with shipping and having it signed for doesn't cover a seller if a buyer opens a case. The seller has ZERO protection for a claim of non-receipt. It doesn't matter if the product was shipped, how it was shipped, and again, even having it signed for won't help. So sending a receipt and doing a local pickup/delivery is just as risky as actually shipping the item. 

6 Likes

Realities.  Etsy has taken on a lot of new sellers the last year or two.  So many looking for a side gig.  And is understandable that many of them might have the best customer service, or even product.  Understandably, Etsy instituted the star seller rating(s), in hopes of keeping sellers jacked up.  If sellers could simply mark everything as "shipped", it would never work...Etsy (or customers) would have no proof of shipping.  Shyster sellers would take advantage of that all day long.

No seller needs Etsy shoppers having a bad experience on Etsy.  Shoppers would begin ignoring the site.  That is what Etsy is trying to avoid...by holding sellers to task.  Would be very bad PR for sellers and Etsy alike.  That is what Etsy is trying to avoid...by holding sellers to task and accountable....

...In the the (anonymous) world of online selling, the "honor system" just ain't gonna fly.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.