MilestoneKids
Inspiration Seeker

Star Seller Status Requirement Unfair and Nonsensical

I am a newer seller to Etsy and the way the Star Seller Status is measured makes absolutely no sense to me. The metrics are completely off. I have had excellent customer service as a seller and have worked very hard at this as a newer seller. My scores have been high until I made a purchase from another etsy seller. Apparently the seller sent an auto reply message to my inbox saying "Thank you for your purchase.... and if you need assistance contact me". I saw the message, but didn't reply as I didn't need help two seconds after purchasing my item. Later, I had questions and reached out and had a wonderful exchange with the seller.

So, March 1 rolls around and my score for customer service goes down to 83%. Apparently because I did not reply or (know about auto reply at the time). I think this is very unfair as I am the customer in this situation and not the seller. In no way does this represent my customer service skills as a seller. I really think this metric should be reconsidered as it is unfair to me as a seller. I don't think I will be making any purchases from Etsy if I am going to be punished for it and have my shop negatively affected.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
28 Replies

Re: Star Seller Status Requirement Unfair and Nonsensical

Unfortunately all new messages have to be replied to, even if they do not require a reply. If for example you receive a spam message and put this in spam, it does not require a reply.

Looking at your shop, you have the "speedy replies" badge so that is not the reason you do not have your star seller badge.

You are missing the dispatch badge, if you go to you star seller page and download your stats, you will be able to see if a tracking has been missed.

7 Likes

I completely agree with you, it is absolutely absurd. 

5 Likes

Betreff: Star Seller Status Requirement Unfair and Nonsensical

@MilestoneKids 

Etsy does not distinguish between messages from buyers and messages from sellers. Each account has only one inbox and Etsy just checks to see if each first message of a new message thread has been replied to or marked as spam.

Familiarize yourself with all the options provided by Etsy and use them to meet the criteria.

1. Set up auto-reply
  2. Create and use saved replies
  3. Mark as spam 
  4. Set up a buyer account for your purchases
  5. Purchase as a Guest

*1: How to set an auto-reply for Messages

*2: How to Use Saved Replies in Messages

8 Likes

you have to reply to EVERY new message thread, in 24 hours, whoever it is from (or mark as spam)

It doesn't make any difference, if you think it is "fair" etsy states it clearly in the rules, just do it.

or don't mix your business selling account, with buying,
set up a separate buying account

10 Likes
MilestoneKids
Inspiration Seeker

I agree having a separate account to avoid mixing business with personal is generally a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion. Although Etsy's metrics should have the capability to distinguish between the two.

2 Likes

@MilestoneKids: "Although Etsy's metrics should have the capability to distinguish between the two." Many of your fellow sellers will agree that the Star Seller program needs improving, but how would you handle the situation where the sender of the Message is both a buyer and seller to you? How many threads would there be in this forum that "some bot incorrectly classified my message"?

We just have to keep in mind that Etsy often is very simplistic and binary - either you replied to (or marked as SPAM) that first message of a new incoming thread within 24 hours or you did not; either you marked the order as complete on time with a verifiable tracking number or you did not.

4 Likes

@MilestoneKids 

someone you bought from may now have your shop on their radar, decided they liked something and asked you a question about it,

Unless etsy actually reads the millions of messages a day, they will not know if the person is contacting you about what you bought from them, or what they would now like to buy from you.

2 Likes

@MilestoneKids 

You should have the capability to meet the message criteria without Etsy reading your messages or making changes to accommodate you.

It's not that difficult!

3 Likes

"Although Etsy's metrics should have the capability to distinguish between the two."

Do you really want them reading our messages?  I don't.

1 Like

If a seller you purchased from messages you about an order update, just reply with "thanks".

4 Likes

If the Star Seller award is important to you, read the rules and do your best to adhere to them.

https://www.etsy.com/starseller

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/star-seller?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

5 Likes
MontourDesigns
Conversation Maker

There is also a problem with replying through the app. I refunded a customer immediately and answered his request for refund through a message sent from the refunds system. I was using the app when I replied to his message, and that didn't count. The Star Seller system is still buggy and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it except wait for it to fall off. There is a Star Seller filter now, so it matters more than they initially said it would.

2 Likes

@MontourDesigns "I refunded a customer immediately and answered his request for refund through a message sent from the refunds system. I was using the app when I replied to his message, and that didn't count."

This has nothing to with the app, as this would also have happened with a browser.

Sending a message from the cancellation page does not answer the initial cancellation / refund request message. This just opens a new message thread.

Next time, reply directly to the message and then cancel or refund without further comment. The comment is optional anyway.

1 Like
MontourDesigns
Conversation Maker

@dippeldiundscribble My reply was a direct response to the buyer's request to cancel. The message came through the "request a refund" feature, not the "contact seller" feature. It seems reasonable to think that this direct response would satisfy the requirement. He asked "I made a mistake, can I cancel?" I cancelled and replied to his inquiry within a few minutes. 

The point of the Star Seller program is to encourage sellers to provide above average customer service. These little technicalities that disqualify sellers who actually did meet the standard, create more unnecessary hurdles to jump over to stay on a somewhat level playing field.

0 Likes

@MontourDesigns  The response given through the refund is not linked to the message system.  It has always been this way even before the star seller program

If you receive a request through the message system, it has to be answered even if only to say something 'I will be giving you a refund today' 

The two systems are not connected.  Not something everyone realizes.

THe SS program is only set up for the Message system and not any message outside the message system,

2 Likes

@MontourDesigns „My reply was a direct response to the buyer's request to cancel.“

The point is that you didn't reply in the same message thread...

Again: Sending a message from the cancellation page does not answer the initial cancellation / refund request message. This just opens a new message thread.

1 Like
MontourDesigns
Conversation Maker

@dippeldiundscribble @JDTotesnDolls I did not realize this about the messages sent from refunds. But my point is that it is a gap in the system that isn't readily apparent. Maybe it's mentioned somewhere, but I haven't seen it. The overall issue remains the same. He asked for a refund, he got a refund, and a note from me. Seem like good customer service to me.

0 Likes

you have to REPLY to each new message THREAD

not send a new message through the order

0 Likes

If this helps: you can mark a message as spam DAYS after you've missed replying to it, and it will not be included in the star seller calculation. I don't know how many days the grace period is, I just know I've done it a few times and it worked.

0 Likes

@MilestoneKids  The guidelines are there to read.  It gives exactly what we all need to do.  Right there in the shop manager,  If you have not read it, I suggest doing so.  It will help you.

Don't ignore the metrics.  There are important as it shows what kind of customer service Etsy expects out of all sellers.  And the information can be used for Etsy to find shops not complying with what they think is good customer service.  Payment reserve can happen if tracking is not used for one.

0 Likes

It says right on the Star Seller page that you have two options for the first post in any Convo. 1)Reply to ALL posts or 2)Mark it as spam. This is posted to the forum almost daily. If this is a recent post, you can go mark it as spam now and it will likely come off your Star Seller score in a few days.

1 Like

this. I've retroactively marked messages as Spam up to 3-4 days after noticing the message was missed, and in a few days the star seller calculation changes to exclude it

0 Likes

There are a number of other sellers that have purchased from me and I have also made purchases from their shops. So in all those scenarios, where we are both the buyer and the seller, whose message should be disqualified? I don't think it's fair that a seller shouldn't have to respond if I have a question just because they've made a purchase from me, and same the other way around. 

I agree with those that recommend having a separate buying account if you don't want messages from sellers to affect your shop. Or just respond. 

You currently have the speedy replies badge, so I assume you're worried about the April badge. You have a month to potentially get that back up. You didn't have on time shipping badge for March, so I'd also make sure you've been shipping on time, as that's actually more likely to get your shop in trouble (like a reserve, if you don't already have one). 

0 Likes

Im not even bothering anymore, I have a buyer at the moment who has purchased several items from and wants to wait to see what else i list. So I can say goodbye to Star Seller!  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.